Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-23-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
Okay,we went out Saturday in the chop,and I just can't get the combo right or something.
I have what I think are stock tanks in the rear and a small sack under the cooler in the front.
I added one sack(4-450?)on the back seat,and a partailly filled 500? on the surf side,and we're just not finding the sweet spot.The back end is down alot,so much that we got my sump pump to actually work,LOL.

What am I doin wrong?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-23-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
exactly how are you filling up your boat? Not sure from your description whether you are filling all the stock tanks or just the front and side you are surfing on. It is best to start out with all the weight on the surfside only and nothing across the back of the boat.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-24-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
Front stock sack filled,surf side stock tank filled,and it just wasn't doin it.

So we added the sack across the back seat,pushed more into the ballast boy corner,still not enough.
Added the sack to the surf side seat,filled maybe 3/4 full,and still......not good.

Granted,I'm semi spoiled with surfing on DJ Jamesz wake,as well as my short time on ragboys,but I'm really dissappointed with my results here.

Let me see if I have any pics of it....
Old     (glake)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-24-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
Buy a Wakecraft ZR6. That will solve all problems. No lie.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-24-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Did you try no front sac? When we surfed behind a friends DD Sanger we would just put all weight and peeps on the surfside and nothing anywhere else. The rubrail was just out of the water barely. It wasn't huge but you could surf without the handle.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-24-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
Here's what I currently run in my V210 that throws a good surf wake. Custom ski locker sack with cooler removed full 400-500lbs, 160lbs pop product bags under the bow cushions, 440lb v-drive sack full on surf side, 240lbs pop products bag under passenger side seat cushions, 3-4 people on the surf side to put the water line at the rubrail. You can get a little longer sweet spot by adding a bit more in the bow just make sure to add some more to the v-drive locker to keep the rubrail close to the waterline. Stop slowly.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-03-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
Gunz, I have a 02 V210.. I get an awesome surfwake with front 400 full, and 700 (twin 350s) in the rear corner.. I also have 100lbs of lead in the nose as well

Upload
Old     (answerman)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-03-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
That's not Vic's is it?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-03-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
absolutly not.. I would never do that in Vics...

I also wouldnt do it if there was wakeboarders in the area either

(Message edited by extremeisaac on September 03, 2009)
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-07-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
gunz, I surf behind an 05 V210 and we get a nice wake. Along with the front and rear ballast, we strap a covered Launch Pad (around 100 lbs), on the swim platform on the side you are surfing. This makes a big difference. We can speed up from 10mph to 11.5 with the bag back there. I learned this trick from Duffy. He keeps a sack strapped on his Avalanche platform.
I have surfed behind this boat since we bought it in 05. This season we are getting the best wake we have ever had out of it. We put small bags every where we can - underneath the seats, bow cushions and on top of the plumed in bags in the rear locker. The wave will never be as big as the ones behind the large boats but the V210 does respond well to any extra weight you can put in it.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-07-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Here's a couple of pics of Nick (Nikki sixx on WW) playing on our wave.

Upload
Upload
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-09-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
Isaac-Good info.Do you just move all the people to the surf side,or?

Sue-I've been thinkin about that,had a few chats with friends about moving the weight to the deck.I think I'm gonna try all this on Friday......if I can get a crew.
Meantime,I'm headed to the lake to ride on Big Momma aka DJ Jamesz boat.

Lucky me!
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
Gunz.. ya move everyone to one side.. boat leans like a cholo
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-09-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Ode lay
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-09-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
gunz
Let me know how it works out. I have to wait until Sunday to ride again
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
Here we go again....

Didn't work.I had stock surf side tank full,along with a sack in that compartment as full as I could get it,a waterbed sack under the surf side seat,front sack full,everybody on the surf side,and a full sack on the swim deck,and still nothing.

Next move is remove stock tanks,replace with vdrive sacks or an enzo sack,and get a wakeplate.

This is rediculous......
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-15-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
it will be worth the trouble when you do nail it though.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
True,but very frustrating.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-15-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
gunz,
When you say "still nothing" what exactly was wrong with the wave? Is it still too small? What speed were you going? I have been surfing behind Nikki Sixx's Centurion Avalanche and my V210 wake is never going to match his. He has an Enzo sack and 2-400lb bags on the seats. The V210 hull is much smaller and cannot handle as much weight. My surf wake is fun to ride but it won't match the size of the Avalanche. We have riders that can spin 360's behind our Sanger though.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
I'm bringin 2k lbs worth of sacks to the lake next time,done playin around.
Old     (ggrissom)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-21-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
gunz, keep updating the post with your progress. Is the wake small or are not happy wih the shape? I am having a little trouble dialing in my surf wake on my 2000 V210 also. This weekend had the following set-up:
400 lbs port side rear locker
450 lbs on port side seat
about 150 in the mid-locker
250 in the bow between the seats
250 on the port side bow seat
3 people on the boat
Also I do have the fixed wake plate

the wake size was ok, but did not have a good lip, it looked like it was rolling over to the starboard side. Back about 8' behind the boat there was a lip but the rideable area was short. The rub rail was in the water at riding speed, and we did vary the speed up and down but I don't have PP so I don't know the exact speed.

(Message edited by g.grissom on September 21, 2009)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-21-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
My guess would be to much weight up front and on the side and not enough in the rear locker.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-21-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Dennis,
Your wave looks so nice! I wish my Sanger was the V215 rather than the V210. I think you can get a nicer shaped and bigger wave than we can with the V210's. I surfed a V237 and it was sweet too. It's just more boat than I really need.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-21-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
Gunz, what are you doing this weekend? we are out on the D both day this weekend and would be more than happy to help you dial in your wave and take you out on mine as well..
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-23-2009, 4:05 PM Reply   
Okay,so last Sunday we took it out and gave it another shot.....

At a semi choppy at times Lake Sonoma,and it got a little closer,but still not a sweet spot.The wake is just to small to let go of the rope.

4-500 in the front,a 400 on the back seat,a 250-300 on the floor in front of the back seat,front stock ballast bag full,rear surf side ballast tank full,and 3-4 people on the surf side.

It had a much better shape than last time,but not really a sweet spot on either side of the wake,although my daughter almost had it workin on the dark side.

Sparkys comin over tonight,and we're gonna look at what I got,and what I should do.Probably start pullin the stock stuff,and upgrade to bigger and better sacks.

Isaac,thats cool.I will pm you.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-03-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Update:
This past weekend I removed the stock tanks,and saw that they were really small,150/200lbs at best,so this had ALOT to do with my problem.New V Drive sacks and fittings will be ordered soon.

So we took it out last night,filled the stock front sack,sacked it up on the "bright" side,400/450 in the V drive,350/400 on the side seat,and another 250/300 in the bow on the seat,plus Sparky and JR on that side as well.

I tried riding it with my Stretch,but I had to get close to the swim deck,so I switched to my Hype Broadcast as it's a bit bigger
I could just barely do it,and I was REAL close to the swim deck.On the plus side,my newly installed FAE worked like a charm.

Intersetingly enough,when I got out of the water,I moved to the side in the bow,where I enjoyed an icy cold Pacifico,everyone on the same side,and it was really shaping up nice.

It's pretty obvious I'm gonna need some more weight,both with the sacks,and I'm gonna have to get some lead as well.Anybody got any lead for cheapish?

I don't know how you guys(with a V210)do it without having sacks all over in the boat.
LOL
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-10-2009, 1:33 AM Reply   
Lots of fixed weight.... I carry around 800 pounds fixed I guess.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
One thing I forgot to mention that is critical, we drive in a big circle when surfing, changing the radius or the arc changes the steepness of the wake, sharper turn = steeper wave. Sometimes if the wife is heading out the back I can turn sharper to put her back in the pocket. We have a small bay we surf in to keep our rollers contained so it works out perfect for everyone.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-27-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
Thanks Darren.Do you have a good pic of your surf wake?

I took it out again this past saturday,had some problems,and the only amswer now is fixed weight;LEAD!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-27-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I don't have any good pics really but there is a few on my waveskate post from the weekend.