Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-20-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Are there any? When you go out with your friends what are the acceptable rules as far as pull times go - 15 to 25 minutes? Or do you have point system - 4 falls, your done?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-20-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
no rules. ride until YOU feel you're done.
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
ditto... i once rode with someone that had rules.. it sucked! i was afraid to try anything!
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-20-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
your not competing. go out and have a good time. free ride and have fun
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-20-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Only real rule that there should be, is bring something to the table if its not your boat. That may be money, beer, food, women, etc. If you do any of the above on my boat, you take a set till you are blue in the face, or take your board off...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-20-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
I dont have any set of rules but there is definitely give and take, especially when the boat doesnt have enough gas for everyone to ride till they cannot hold on. For instance, if the water isnt the greatest we trade off who gets the butter sets at the beginning and end of day.

As far as ride time is concerned, its no biggie unless the rider isnt riding to their abilities. For instance, the rider in the water isnt doing anything but standing their getting yanked down the lake. Pretty lame if they are better than that. But that is more along the lines of buddy to buddy peer pressure type stuff.

Also, lets say there are three sets left of gas in the boat and three riders. I am rider number three (last) and the second rider is on the cusp of landing a new trick. Of course I am going to shorten my set or give it up completely to see a new trick get landed; thats the overall goal isnt it? There have been a few times where I have seen people get all anal about their set regardless of what is being thrown down at the end of the rope; that is a definite downer.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-20-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   

quote:

Joe Umali (dakid) on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:52 pm:

no rules. ride until YOU feel you're done.

I have no problem with that mind set, but if you're going to do that make sure you pay for gas appropriately and give others enough time to get good conditions for their set. No one likes getting crappy water after waiting through multiple riders going 45 mins each. You should also compensate for the gas. Wiping down is OK but with gas @ $3.20 a gal it hardly pays for your session.

Basically, have consideration for the others on the boat and the cost to the boat owner.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-20-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
IMO, you can ride as long as you want as long as you're still riding well and putting some effort into it. If you're just riding around behind the boat, then an hour without falling is a bit much. We've got some girls in our crew that'll go out and not try anything and ride forever. Wow is it boring. Sorry if I'm an A$$, but it's annoying to me. Now, if they're out there trying wake jumps or surface tricks then I'm totally OK with it. Same goes with guys.... You know when you've had enough. Get back in the boat and take another set later if there's time.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
You can only drink so much water
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       04-20-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
If you are taking super long sets you may not get invited back.
In my opinion most everyone should stop after about 20-25 minutes. After that amount of time your muscles will be fatigued even if you still feel alright and you won't be able to progress much. Take a break and ride again after you have rested if there is time.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
After a 30 min. set you should be whipped anyway...

(Message edited by Zuka666 on April 20, 2007)
Old    swass            04-20-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
No rules. Ride as long as you want to, and do what you want to while riding. It's all good.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-20-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Yep. As long as there's enough daylight left for everyone to still get some riding in if they want it, then go ahead. If you've only got 2 hours on the water, 5 people, then maybe set a time limit...
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       04-20-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
If it is your boat then ride as long as you want but otherwise you should at least find out if the person with the boat will get mad at you if you take endless sets. I remember a guy I was pulling going for a full 45 minutes and just standing there. I thought it was a bit of a waste of gas.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-20-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
As long as everyone that rides splits the cost of fuel for the trip there & the ride I don't care what they do. We usually end up riding about the same amount of time anyway.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-20-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
We usually ride till we're tired, though being old geezers it doesn't take 20 min of riding. Either fatigue or enough crashes where you need to stop for a while to get your head on straight.

If there is limited time, we have a 3 crash/strikes rule.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2007, 11:17 PM Reply   
The 3 crash rule is bad because nobody wants to fall trying something new. The handle dropper rule is much better.
Old    dabigkahuna            04-20-2007, 11:26 PM Reply   
Crash rules of any kind suck for everyone and totally prevent the average person from improving.

My rules are simple, go out and have fun. If I'm riding behind my boat I try to be reasonable and not take a super long set, even though it's my financial drain! I just want to make sure everyone is stoked on the water. Sometimes my driver or passengers make me stay in longer than I intended, especially if I'm trying a new trick. I LOVE THAT! It's all about helping each other progress safely so that everyone is STOKED when they are washing down the boat at the end of the day.
Old     (jetpilotz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2007, 11:37 PM Reply   
My life doesn't involve rules, just values.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-21-2007, 1:13 AM Reply   
the only thing that kind of put restraints on time of riding with me sometimes, is the water conditions. That early mornin butter needs too be shared. Know what i mean?
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
Have to share the early morning butter, that should be a rule.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
I agree w/ Andy. I used to abide by the 3 falls rule, but by my 4th or 5th fall, I'm ready for a break.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-22-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
TURN up on time, PAY for gas, RESPECT my boat, have FUN and help CLEAN up..simple!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-22-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
My son Chris crashed 37 times in a row trying to learn a TS front roll. (Not exaggerating the qty here my wife kept count.) That was 2 full passes up and down Vic.

The rule then became: do not put your parents thru that!
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-22-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
"TURN up on time, PAY for gas, RESPECT my boat, have FUN and help CLEAN up..simple!"

I second this one
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-22-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
Bring gas, no axe. As said before, freeloaders who ride and don't try much, I'm asking you to give someone else a turn in less than 10 minutes. I'm getting too old and impatient to put up with that crap anymore.
Old     (desertcajun)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-23-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
One rule. If you are a newb. You have to wait. When it is early and butter I like to let more experience riders take their sessions. Considering that people new to boarding seem to just try to keep their balence behind the boat. They dont really try to attempt to much. So they don't need to calm of water. Other than that run till you cant feel you legs and they turn to jello!!!