Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-27-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
I've been meaning to post this for some time. I think everyone know's about the Fuel Pump issues so without bashing MC in any way, these are the replacement pumps that we found for our X-Star. You can be absolutely assured that this will void your warranty but instead of spending $500+ at the dealer, you can get the tool and do this yourself for 1/5 of the price. I would advise you to keep one on hand because if you ever let the fuel get below 1/2, this is something that you will have to deal with eventually. They go without warning for little to no reason.

These pumps are for a 2008, X-Star with the LY6 motor. Your needs and fuel pressure may vary but since we replaced ours with the 2044 below, we've had zero issues. (We've gone through 9 total before.) This is only what worked for us! No guarantees for your fix!! Any replacement by you is done so at your own risk!

Airtech E2044 $81.99 Advanced Auto Parts/AutoZone
Airtech E2065 $74.99 Advanced Auto Parts
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-27-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
Why do you have to replace the fuel pumps in the MC so much? Do you mean fuel filter that would make more since.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-27-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
The fuel pump on my 08 Nautique is around $100 from the dealer. Its not common for them to go bad. I have 200 hours and have not had any problems. Is this a MC problem or is it all Indmar engines.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-27-2011, 3:35 PM Reply   
I believe it started as a mastercraft problem as they were the first to use the in tank fuel pump module but I believe this may now be a problem with Malibu's as they have gone to this style now as well.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-27-2011, 4:34 PM Reply   
My experience is it is a MC problem. Had it happen on a 2006 X1 and a 2008 Xstar.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-27-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
The fuel pump design on Malibu's is very different and this seems to not be such a problem for them.

Steve Jones...You have gone through 9 of these...and you still run the tank down? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is unwise. Unless you are always within easy paddling distance of your dock.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-28-2011, 9:04 AM Reply   
We were having the same issue as Steve, when the tank got below half full, the motor would die. But since the dealer replaced the fuel pump last summer, we haven't experienced the issue.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-28-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
hahaha man on man MASTERCRAFTS HAVE THE WORST fuel pump EVER!!! Once a summer we will paddle Mine, or a buddys or help one off the lake because "it just stopped", and wont start.... Gotta Love your 65 thousand dollar Boat
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-28-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
I just picked up an 08 Xstar with the LY6. Can you let me know what causes the failure? Running below half tank? Secondly, would you recommend I just change it out with the pump above and not worry about it?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-28-2011, 6:02 PM Reply   
^No, I would just drive it and see what happens. Maybe it was already changed, and it is not a 100% guarantee that your fuel pump is bad. What happened is when the tank got below half the engine would start dying (kind of like it was out of gas). From what my experience (and I am by no means an expert mechanic), when the gas starts getting below half, the pumps start overheating, so then when the boat died, we would have to what for like 20 mins and then it would crank back up, but it would only run briefly before dying again. It is an aggravating issue, but since ours (same year and motor as yours Pimp)was still under warranty, the dealer replaced it and we haven't had an issue since. It is an expensive job if done by the dealer, ~800.00.

Like I said, I would just check and make sure you have a bad pump before you replace it. If you bought it private party, maybe you could ask the seller if they had an issue with the fuel pump.
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       01-31-2011, 5:15 AM Reply   
This is widely discussed over on MC Team Talk, search "Fuel Pump" I have an '09 X2, 200 hrs, no issue to date. I have never run it out of fuel, gauge is calibrated to read empty when you have 1/4 tank. I have never been much below 1/4 tank. I have a buddy with an '05 X2 MC, same engine (MCX) with over 700 hrs, on the original pump. The issue is pretty much with all in-tanks and running them low on fuel. I hade a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee that my kids drove a lot, always running from 1/4 tank to near empty and replaced 3 fuel pumps. For me it is pretty simple, I ran out of gas in my I/O many years back on Norris at 1:00 AM, a mistake you will only make once, I always fill up before heading out. Remember the good boaters rule on fuel... 1/3 out, 1/3 back and 1/3 in reserve.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
I've got 900 some hours and 10 years on my X-Star with the LTR, never had a problem with the fuel pump.

Fuel sender - yes
Water pump - yes
Alternator Bracket - yes

Fuel pump - no

Good to know one can get cheaper replacement pumps though. Not sure what they are using for fuel senders in the newer models, but I've gotten a replacement direct from Centroid for cheap before.
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-01-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa_pump View Post
I've got 900 some hours and 10 years on my X-Star with the LTR, never had a problem with the fuel pump.

Fuel sender - yes
Water pump - yes
Alternator Bracket - yes

Fuel pump - no
What year X-Star, and does it have an in-tank fuel pump?
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
Mine is a 1999 X-Star. It does have the in-tank fuel pump and has been run on less than half a tank plenty.

Now that I've jinxed myself, if anyone knows the part number for that year fuel pump and can post it that would be great. I imagine it could go out at any time.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-02-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
I would have to reread the entire thread, it is now 200 posts long, but I am pretty sure the problem did not come up until 05ish or so. IIRC, this was not a problem on older boats as has been the experience of several people above.

I have been the victim of the fuel pump problem and have a weekend saver kit onboard now. We ran the 90 gallon tank down to about 15 gallons, and like magic, the fuel pump was out within the next 1-2 trips. I think I could get it replaced in less than 1 hour now if all goes easy, although this kind of thing never seems to go easy for me.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-02-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
This was a problem with the Carter pumps, most (not all) of the affected boats can switch to the new Millenium pumps which will solve this issue, all new MasterCrafts run this pump as do the new Bu's (99% Sure) with intank fuel pumps.