Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (wake_passion)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-09-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
here is the deal I am looking for a good set of bindings that will support my ankles very well. I feel off a roof at work a while back broke both feet now I have screws and pins in both so I need something that can help support them that I don't get a ton of pain when I land I have the CWB Zeus hinge tech right now I like them cuz they are easy to get in and out of and have pretty good support but I am looking for something new with good cushion on the lands
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-09-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
IMO, you have some very good bindings. To get thicker foot-beds, you might have to trade off ankle support.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-09-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
I ride 3ds/Atlas close toes and I broke my ankle but they are hard to get on. You will have a trade off no matter what you do. Demo everything when the shops have new stuff
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-09-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
Liquid force has good bindings whith great support. I ride the watsons and they are awesome. They come up high, give good ankle support, and are easy to get into.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-09-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
Jeremy, It sounds like you'd want a stiff binding. The bindings you'll want to try above any others are the Hyperlite 3ds/Atlas, Ronix Covin, and Slingshot D2s. The Zeus are not even close in terms of stiffness and having tried both 06s and 07s I'd get some news ones asap if I were you. The Watsons are also not nearly as stiff/supportive as any of the above I listed.

My personal favorite is the D2 by Slingshot. They are very easy to get into because they have a seperate inner liner that you put on first. Their comfort and support easily beats everything else on the market right now. (with possibly the exception of the Covins since I haven't tried them.) I work at a board shop and have access to most all of the major bindings. Give them a try.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-09-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
^^^He Means the Ronix Cells^^^^^^, I ride the 3DS and find them to be really supportive. Agree with above though, until their broken in, they can be kind of a pain to get on.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-09-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
The new zues closed toes new footbed and better support. I have 3ds but will probably get a pair of zues this year.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-09-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
Yeah the new Zeus even has a stiffener over the toe piece that really helps make the overall boot incredibly stiff. Also the new footbed is much improved over the last couple years;, much softer and a great support under your arches.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-10-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
I know I am a little biased here but go get a paid of O'brien Xenons they are the most cush bindings I have ever had the pleasure of riding on. Hands down the best thing on the market.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-10-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
Shane CT...most supportive/cush bindings I have ever had my foot in, blow my cells out of the water
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-10-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
08 Zeus sounds like what you need. You will still have the hinge for easy in and out but reversed + new softer footbed and a nice high wrap for the ankle support.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-10-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
LF Transits, cushy footbed and high stiff ankle support.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-10-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
DEMO it is a tired phrase but true----------------

As Go to your local store and/or to stores while out of town and try on many different boots in the store, jump with them on and wiggle around to get a feel of them

PERSONAL OPINION----------------------------------

I like the slingshot D2 boots also. However, i personally thought it was easier to put the liner in first and then the foot in last (I am thinking i value my dexterity in my feet as i am putting on the boot) I would try both ways to see what you like.

THE biggest key to making the slingshot boots easy to get on is loosening the laces completely so the tongue of the boot opens wide.

As you cinch the laces down i found that using your hand to push against or pound lightly against the tongue works best to get the tightest fit (forming the tongue tightly against your ankle and shin)... if that makes sense

The interior lace ankle support is found by some to be annoying but i love it and you might find it supportive to your condition? (the interior laces can be removed EASILY if desired)

DISCLAIMER: I immagine the fit would be even more heavenly after the liners are heat molded to fit YOU, but I personally have never tried one heat molded... i've only demoed up to now and will buy my own set in April or so

Maybe try the LF Vantage. I have heard they are really really really easy to get into. I am not sure if the velcro straps will be the support you are looking for but maybe... I personally dont think very highly of LF footbeds, but lots of other people think otherwise, maybe you will too
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-10-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
08' CWB Zeus hands down!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-10-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
I forgot to add that the slingshot wakeboards will add "cush" to your landings due to the flex technology.

You might not want to look only at bindings.

Back in 2004 i got a new board with a center spine in the middle. The center spine alone was worth the purchase, making my landings noticeably softer (i was still using the same bindings) The slingshot recoil, however made the center spine old news to me.

Your profile says you have the Obrien Valhala right?

cant say i have heard any specific comments on "soft landings" for that board... but i could be wrong

LF shane, CWB Marius, and Slingshot Recoil and Response seem to echo the most on "soft landing board" comments (the previous two i personally have not ridden)
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-10-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
yea, I'll back up Jeremy, possibly look into another board also.
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-10-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
CT WATSON. YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH WATSON!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-10-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
I know that my Watson bindings have a lot of ankle support, they're relatively stiff, and after a few uses they become relatively easy to get into, or just use some binding lube and you're all set....
Old     (mowakeboarding)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-11-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Either the new 08 Zeus's, Murrays', or Byerly's.

All these boots have custom stiffeners in them for 2008. Also, all of these boots ride higher in 2008 for the complete support. And they all have new cushioning systems.

I have the worst ankles ever (probably 99.9% scare tissue) so I know where your coming from.

I would definitely say give these guys a try, however i know its hard to find a place to demo 'bindings'. If you’re ever in MO, give me a shout, I'll hook you up with a pair to try out for a day.
Old     (kawaik)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-14-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
i was tryin on some boots a few weeks ago and i must say the vantage boot is money. the velcro gives good support. tis actually quite adjustable too. i enjoyed and i am pretty sure that i will be purchasing such at the coming show.