Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    chadj99            08-24-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
I'd like to see some pics of others peoples installs of wired remotes (SONY or Clarion), particularly installs on or near} the transom.

I'm looking to install mine on my Centurion, but there is really no "flat" spots on the transom. And I'm a bit leary of installing it below the rub-rail.

I'd like to be able to operate the stereo from the transom, but man do I hate drilling holes in the shiny new boat.....

Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-24-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
It's not so bad. and when getting ready to board, having control of the music you want to hear is great. I put my Sony Remote just above the rub rail on the right side of the transom. See picture -
Tige' transom 3/4 view
Old    stevenf            08-24-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
its a super easy job to do. first drill a hole with a drill bit in reverse. Then widen up the hole with a stone bit. Heres the tip use a sandpaper wood bit thing its round. Use that it eats through fiber glass and gel coat without cracking. Ive used it to widen up the speaker holes on my boat as well as install a rear transom remote.
Old    chadj99            08-25-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
Flack, That install looks great. I'm not too worried about drilling, my main problem is that there is no flat area wide enough at the transom above the rub rail (like on Flack's boat). The top deck is very rounded adn narrow back there.

DO you think I will run into problems installing it just below the rub rail?
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-25-2004, 8:53 AM Reply   
Below the rub rail shouldn't be too bad, but I would still feel safer above any area where you could get back wash from slowing fast. The remotes are supposed to be water tight, but it still is best to keep them as dry as possible.
Old    whitechocolate            08-25-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
Ok I have installed 3 transome mounted wired remotes. I have found that the standard hole saws that everyone talks about are a POS. Because they chip and the holes are not the exact size you need. They all chip the gell even the ones for fiberglass. And the reverse drilling everyone talks about and the tape is all because they are using the wrong drill. I bought 3 diffrent types of hole saws and found that this adjustable 3 blade hole saw that looks like it would drill the nastyest hole in you boat actually drills the best/cleanest holes in fiberglass.

First thing is you need to find out how big the hole you need is. You can do that by drilling a test hole in MDF, Adjust the drill bit till the remote fits in perfictly tight, and then attack your boat. No tape or reverse drilling needed. But you can do it if it make you feel better.

I know what your are saying when you dont want to drill into your shiny boat so just make sure that there is nothing that your going to drill into on the back side. The saying mesure twice drill/cut once works perfict here. Below is a photo of the 2 remotes and the 3rd photo is the Crazy looking drill bit TRUST me this is the best drill bit. If I didnt know any better and someone came near my boat with this drill I would tell them to get the F" away so I know what your thinking.

Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-25-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
Grant where's the drill pic? I wanna see that ugly thing you're talking about.
Old    whitechocolate            08-25-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
I am ashamed for what I am about to show you
Old    whitechocolate            08-25-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   

Just Kidding
Old    whitechocolate            08-25-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
This is the drill bit Im talking about

Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-25-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried to install more than one Sony XM10 wired remote. Basically asking because im getting ride on the clarion system in my san and want to put a remote by the driver as well as as the transom. O yeah I also want to be able to use my XM receiver from my car. I dont know if this is do able. Im hoping grant can shed some light since it seems like he has done a lot of this.
Old     (roberto)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
Grant-Dude, that's what my Mom used to cut my little brother's hair. Niiiice.
Old    whitechocolate            08-25-2004, 11:59 AM Reply   
I have never installed more than 2 remotes in one boat. Clarion says you can go up to 3 remotes per system the Clarion uses a Y connector when you use mulitable remotes, If Sony makes a Y connector im sure you can hook up more than 1 remote.

But back to the orignal thread. The Sony has a much smaller mounting foot even thought the face is large the mounting foot is small. If you have a curved mounting location You can make a custom mount that the remote sits into and than mount that into or on the curved section of your boat. Ill try to post some examples

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       08-25-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
ROD-E yes you can hook up multiple sony remotes, it uses the same connector as the cd-changers so you use the Y adapter supplied with the remote to hook up multiple ones.

Grant- Dam that is a sweet mount. You really make some quality looking stuff!!!

Old    swass            08-25-2004, 12:33 PM Reply   
Grant's second term as King of Bling was a landslide victory.

Contenders better hope there's a 3-term limit.

(Message edited by swass on August 25, 2004)
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2004, 1:56 PM Reply   
Chad, don't install that Sony below the rub rail. They are water RESISTANT, not waterproof. I have the exact same boat as Flax and put my Sony remote in the same place and it didn't last a year. I read a lot of warnings of those things going bad on WW, but ignored them. If you get them wet enough, they will stop working, guaranteed.

They may stay more dry in CA, but try and be as careful as you can with these remotes, they are not waterproof. Post some pics of the back of your boat and maybe we can offer some suggestions.

For the other info, I have 2 Sony's wired up and they both worked (for a while). I cut all of my holes with an air saw. Tape it up, draw the template on the tape, drill a pilot hole, and go to town. The air saw worked great.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2004, 2:06 PM Reply   
Found a pic:

Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-25-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
My Remote hasn't had any problem, but the boat isn't a year old yet. Brent is right about others having issues with the remotes. about 30% of the Sony's seem to go out, and their warranty is only 90 days. I figure, I'll replace it when it goes out, as it is a great feature. As for the second remote, I'm running the cdx-mp70 head unit, and it came with a wireless remote. I use that as my second remote, and have it in a pocket below the rear bench that can be accessed by others in the boat. The head unit is on the driver's dash in a waterproof housing.

Grant - that hole saw looks like something on a late night infomercial. But with the advice you gave me on hooking up and wiring my tower, I'll trust you on my next hole cutting job.

HEre is the pocket I use for the wireless remote, plus a sandwich bag to keep dry. - http://hotbuddyproducts.com/pocketandsunglassbuddy.htm
Old    chadj99            08-25-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys.. I may just go with a second SONY wireless remote and put it in a small waterproof "cell phone" bag and just hang it back there when riding or hanging on the beach.