Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-07-2009, 12:54 AM Reply   
Ok, so I'm pretty new to wakeboarding, and have been learning on the boom. I'm very good on the boom, and want to get behind the boat so bad, but I just can't hold on. The handle pulls out of my hands before I've hardly moved. Is there an easier way? What am I doing wrong?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-07-2009, 12:56 AM Reply   
don't fight it. just hang on and let it pull you up.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-07-2009, 1:01 AM Reply   
I'm not fighting anything! I WANT to get up! It's got to be my arm strength. When I first started I had NONE. I went from 7 to 35 push-ups in two weeks and lift weights everyday just to learn to wakeboard. I guess I just have to do more, cause it's not like I'm sticking my butt out or anything. I have pretty good form.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-07-2009, 1:05 AM Reply   
it doesn't take a lot of strength. just relax. when the boat starts going, don't "push" the water w/ the board by locking your knees. let your knees come up to your chest. hang on. let the boat pull you up. piece of cake. don't make it harder than it is.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-07-2009, 1:07 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2002/GettingUp.asp
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-07-2009, 1:17 AM Reply   
I get to the end of the third paragraph. I just have to keep trying, I guess. Funny, the guys on the boat always tell me to push, but I dont think I do when I'm on the boom.

And don't say, "Let the boat pull you up." Take a look at my picture, and you'll see why I may have some problems getting out of the water. lol
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-07-2009, 1:24 AM Reply   
ok, i've given you advice. take 'em if you want to, or keep coming up w/ excuses or keep fighting the boat and not get up. good luck.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-07-2009, 1:27 AM Reply   
I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying that I'm sure there is more to it than just letting the boat pull me up. If it were that easy, I would be up. I want to be up, and I've never fought the boat before. I worked really hard to get where I am now, and I will just keep trying harder.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-07-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
Keep your knees bent and tucked up by your elbows. Then when you get up you don't need to pull with your arms, just hang on for the ride. If your hands aren't able to keep on the handle, strengthen your hands or try a smaller diameter womens handle. Good luck
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-07-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
Haha don't deny his advice if he's the one getting up and you're not.
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-07-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Here's a couple of other pointers that have helped our friends learn to get up:

1.) Start like they say - knees to your chest, arms wrapped around your knees.

2.) When the boat starts, that wakeboard is like a bulldozer pushing water and you won't be able to hold on. So, the KEY is getting the board angled a little bit. Our friend Liz got up by doing this: ONCE THE BOAT STARTS, let the board come up to your body, but try to PUSH DOWN (NOT toward the boat) into the water with your back foot. Simultaneously, point your toes a little by flexing at the ankle. This will make the board angled so that the water glides beneath it instead of smack into the board's face. Then, just WAIT. It doesn't take arm strength to get up, but it will take proper body position with back foot down and toes pointed. If you do this, you should feel a difference right away. Don't push out with your legs or try to stand up until you are already mostly up out of the water.

3.) As you rise out of the water, bring the handle around to your front hip (the one that is facing the boat).

Put a post up and let me know how it goes! Remember, arm strength is not the key. Body position is where its at.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-07-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Watch this, it will help. Worth the 5 mins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0nHR3ubdmo

T
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Your bikini top is probably weighing you down try riding without it.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-07-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
The less you try the easier it is. Also,don't pull against the rope because that is usually some of most people's problems when learning... Strength is not necessary. Stay relaxed and you'll do fine
Old     (lzrdwrnglr)      Join Date: May 2008       06-07-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
That's a awful pic.. time for a new one..You need to follow Jasons advice. Lose the top and your center of gravity would probably increase.. Your top heavy. Let the twins hangout. If they touch water you'll live their not gonna burn..
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-07-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
I know it seems hard, but once you get up, you will think it is easy. If it is hard, then as Joe and David said, you are acting like a plow in the water and the handle will yank out of your hand.

If it helps, think of being a ball when you star. Knees in your chest, arms around your knees holding the handle. Board parallel to the back of the boat. As soon as the boat begins to pull you, push the front edge of the board down so it is more parallel with the water. Do not straighten your legs. As David said, push down with your toes to get the board more parallel with the surface of the water. The board will almost immediately plane or run on the surface.

Stay in the ball position until you are up and your board is flat on the surface. Then just stand up. Do not stand too early.

Lastly, make sure your driver is not accelerating the boat quickly. You want a slow progressive acceleration. If they gun it, it will just rip the handle from your hands.

Do not give up.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
Being that you're top heavy - don't try to stand up too soon. Keep you weight back. In other words - stop leaning forward.
Always keep the board in front of you, keeping it between you and the boat.
Umali gave you great advise - quit trying to play tug o' war with the boat because it will always win.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-07-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
I pop up when the boat is just in gear, just let the boat do all the work
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-07-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
David Hickman- good advice. I'll let you know how it works out.

Jason Smith- you're funny! I would try that, but I'm afraid the guys would just stand there in idle and forget to actually drive the boat.

Lzrdwrnglr- No need to be a jerk.
Old     (lzrdwrnglr)      Join Date: May 2008       06-07-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
Not being a jerk.. Just meaning you could put up a better one showing the twins.. Those are large..
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-07-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
It's not arm strength. Young kids get up and you are much stronger than they are. If you can hold a boom, you can hold a rope. Getting up is all about body position and pushing up with your legs. Think about keeping your center of gravity over the center of gravity of the board. Once you get it, you'll wonder why it was so hard in the first place.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
Wasnt sure this was a serious thread so since it seems to be try this trick. Put your board on, float in the water right behind the swim deck with the boat off. Put your board against the swim deck have 2/3 guys in the boat(I usually do this myself but I work out and have the strength of 3 men)hand you a handle, have them pull you up onto the swim deck, it's the same technique as getting up with the boat moving. Try this 5 or 6 times tell you know what it feels like to get up. I've used this technique with a lot o peeps seems to work pretty well.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
Ok, so here's what happened today. FIFTEEN tries and no go. I almost quit, was crying by the end, and with two instructors on board, even the pro wakeboarder said, "I just don't know why you can't do it. You're doing everything right."

I get up on the pigtail no problem. I don't even butter slide. As soon as the boat takes off, I pop right up into position. I never let go, fall off, and have learned a lot of things from there.

As far as today goes, at first I was told I was doing all kinds of things wrong, which I corrected, then we shortened the rope to "gator bait" length. That helped a little bit. Then I was told to stay out of butter slide, because I don't use it on the pigtail, so I started doing that, but the front end is about four inches underwater, and that's when I go over the front, or just sink when the handle gets ripped from my hands. That's when the pro told me I was doing everything right, and I got back into the boat with seven people who were so disappointed they wouldn't even look at me. And my arms are killing me, which doesn't happen on the pigtail.

Sorry, it's just been a rough day.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-13-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
Keep your arms straight knees bent and don't get the boat driver wet. No seriously though just keep those arms rigid and think of trying to push the board toward the bottom of the lake instead of towards the boat as it pulls you. Also the butter slide will make it easier to get the board to the top of the water. Good luck and don't give up because once you figure it out you're gonna go duh!!! that was easy
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
I don't understand. If the board is already under the water, then why do I push down? I feel like I'm missing something really important, since everyone I started with and the people who started after me, have surpassed me.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-13-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
What size board are you on? Don't let anyone put you on a board based on how tall you are. That is dumb thinking. You should be on a Big board. Try a 144 to 146 or something. I think physics plays an important role here. One you get up and get the feel for it, I think you'll be right on.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-13-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
pushing on our toes will make it easier for the board to plane out. verses pushing with your heels which will cause an unwinable tug of war with the boat.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
I'm using a Hyperlite 140, and the bindings are way too big, if that has anything to do with it. If it works on the pigtail, why isn't it working behind the boat? What's the difference?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-13-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
I start off a little different, and the others' I've told this to have said that it's easier this way...

Imagine standing in the grass with your bindings on. Squat down with your knees parallel to the ground, holding a handle pulled about halfway up to your chest. Now, when the boat starts idling away, you pull your toes up (this brings the lip of the board from parallel to the water surface, to facing up. The force of water will bring the board up closer to the surface. Balance is key here, and if you lean forward it's over. When the boat starts to take off, all you have to do is concentrate on your balance, and keep your toes up. With the lip of the board facing up a little, you'll pop right up to the surface.

The only problem with this that people have is getting the board under them while in the water. All I can say is get in the lake or a swimming pool and practice practice practice.

I always say if you can't control the board, you don't need to ride it. Learn to control it first.

(Message edited by jonyb on June 13, 2009)
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
I can control the board on the pigtail with no issue. I can up and down the lake all day long.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-13-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
If you're floating in the water can you get the board under you like you're standing on it with your knee's bent?
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
Like a pro start? At this point, I would try anything, and last week, the pro-wakeboarder/instructor mentioned that he thinks everyone should learn that way, but after that, no one said anything about it ever again, as in, maybe the head instructor wasn't too keen on the idea.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-13-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Anything that could be said on the subject has already been said...but heres my direction to newbies: squat like sitting on the toilet, put arms out with elbows to the inside of the knees, and point your toes down allowing the edge of the board to kinda float underwater....and let the boat do all the work, getting up takes almost no strength at all. My sister cant even do 1 real push up and she can get up no problem...
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-13-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
btw the thread title had me thinking it was gonna be about putting some slapppp (sub woofers) on the boat so that you could hear it well whilest riding haha
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
Well then. I guess that's all there is to say.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-13-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
I wouldn't really call it a pro start, but you should try it that way. I try to teach my friends that way, but they never can get the board under themselves, and that's just floating by the back of the boat. Next time you're in the water, whether it's out boarding or in a swimming pool, try to do it that way. With the board out in front of you, throw it down under yourself and keep it under you. You won't be able to keep your legs straight with the board 5' underwater, so keep your knee's bent as far as you can. Once you get that down, then try starting that way.
Old     (gwperry2)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
You need to practice dry starts get your rope and strap your board on and sit on the lawn. have some one pull you well you are siting on the lawn and then you will know wha it feels like to get pulled up with the rope. this is how I have taought a few people that were having problems make sure your not bending over when they pull u up.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-13-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
if your arms are killing you, you aren't doing it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW1GhUpIcc0&feature=channel
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-13-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
Rachel buy the Detention 2012 video by Shaun Murray. It has a great Getting Up section. My 70 year old dad who has never done any board sports got up on his 4th pull after watching it. After you get up and going you can use the rest of the video to learn all the other stuff. Shaun is a great teacher and explains things really well.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-13-2009, 9:55 PM Reply   
Well, I'm going out Sunday to try again. First time I've ever not been psyched to do a session, and I know that a negative attitude isn't going to help, but this seriously ruined my day!

Wakeboarding doesn't come easily for me. Even though I've lost a lot of weight (30 lbs since my profile pic) and I've gained some muscle, I'm just not the sporty type, nor do I have a sporty build. I've had to work really hard to get where I am, which is practically nowhere!

I'm not ready to give up yet, though. I'll post after I get home.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2009, 12:33 AM Reply   
have taught several kids and adults who have never done any water sports before. Seems like the key to them always getting up is to make sure they stay crouched in a cannonball type position and as soon as the boat starts pulling (starting sideways method here) point the toes toward the boat. Stay crouched with knees inside the arms like a cannonball, don't try standing up until your positive your up and the boat is almost up to speed.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-14-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
it is probably something really small that you nare doing wrong. once you figure it out and get up one time, you will be fine and never have to worry about it again. definitely keep trying. it will be so much fun when you do.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-14-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
I went back out today. My arms were still sore from yesterday, so I didn't do too hot. Someone in the boat suggested that maybe I need a smaller diameter handle, because the one on the pigtail is smaller then the one behind the boat. Also, we upped the board by two cm. On the pigtail, I hated it. I had a hell of a time getting the front edge above the water, and I felt like it weighed a ton, like I had to drag it with me. I liked the ease of movement that three fins gave me, though.

All in all, I didn't get up today, but I was pretty maxed from yesterday, so I'm not so bummed out. I think we're going to try a smaller diameter handle next time.

We've pretty much decided that it's not about me having bad form, or not staying in the right position. I know everyone keeps giving me instruction on how to get up, but I have NO problem getting out on the boom and pigtail. I know how to point my toes, crouch like on a toilet, knees, trees, freeze, push, stand, turn. I know all of that, or I wouldn't be able to get out on the boom and pigtail, and I'm the "teacher" that shows the newbies how to do it whenever we have someone new! I just can't freaking hold on behind the boat for some reason.

I'm not counting today as a fail because I maxed out yesterday. At least I went back out and tried it again.
Old     (gwperry2)      Join Date: May 2009       06-14-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
is your rope a non stretch rope that might be a problem
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-14-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
Probably. It's the one everyone uses, even the pros that come out. I don't know anything about wakeboarding rope.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-14-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
I wish I could ride with pros. Free lessons would be killer.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-14-2009, 2:48 PM Reply   
Sort of topic-Where do you ride in Clearwater? We were just in Tampa Bay for vacation but our friends there had a pontoon and said there was gators everywhere.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-14-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
There are only two good lakes in Pinellas County. Lake Tarpon and Lake Seminole. There are a couple more in Hillsborough County, plus there's always saltwater. Are your friends from up north, too? Northeners are always afraid of gators. Yes, they're "everywhere" (even in retention ponds) but during the day they're usually in the reeds, or sunning themselves onshore. If a gator wants to be run over by a boat, that's his own problem. Also, they are just as afraid of you as you are of them. Besides, once you get in the water, you're having so much fun you forget about it.

Rod--who said anything about free? lol
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-14-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
lol, they are from PA, what makes you think I am from there? We have been riding in Houston for 5 years and haven't seen one yet but I know they are out there. The vacation was planned last minute and the truck was in the shop, or we may have thought about taking the boat there.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-14-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
> I had a hell of a time getting the front edge above the water

Maybe this was already mentioned, but I don't think you should be trying to keep the front edge out of the water while you are getting up. Let it go underwater as it does naturally - you can even have the board bottom parallel to the water, but underwater - as if you were riding submerged (and keep the elbows locked around your knees so your arms aren't working so hard). If you are trying to keep it out of the water, you will wear yourself out with no benefit. Once you are up to speed, the whole board will just come out of the water on its own.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-14-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
I've had a few beers, so this may sound crazy, but you shouldn't think about anything but getting up out of the water and riding. Think about remaining in an athletic position. I mean can you ride a wakeboard with all of your weight being pulled out of the front? Or can you ride sliding out on your back? If you get too many thoughts in your head, you forget about the main goal and that is getting up and riding.

Getting up on a wakeboard......so easy a caveman or a two year old can do it.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-14-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
Just think about being on the boom whats the difference?
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2009, 12:48 AM Reply   
Try these vids,good instruction and good luck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8iFVUAvD-E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1cZYRPj0eg
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-15-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
My experience is that people who are having trouble getting up are doing too much. Just get in a ball behind the board let the board go flat and underwater, keep your toes higher then your heels, and just wait for the board. When the board is skimming on top of the water then you stand up. But you can stay in the crouched ball position forever. Wait for the board and don't struggle to stand up.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Here's a new angle: Who's driving the boat? If this isn't done correctly, it can make it MUCH harder for the boarder. With a new boarder behind the boat, acceleration should be steady & gradual. Too much & too fast acceleration can deflate the best intentions of a newbie.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-15-2009, 6:29 PM Reply   
Yeah I was going to ask about the driver and technique as well. The other thing is if the bindings are really loose, that is going to most likely work against you. The board is highly responsive to angles and poor fitting bindings make controlling it harder.
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       06-15-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
Well the guy that is driving is a wakeboard instructor, and has been for, like, 10 years or something, and goes out every single day. He's a pretty good driver, I think, but I haven't gone out with anyone else. Well, he's a better driver than the pro-wakeboarder, who always starts me out too slow.

I was using a board with really loose bindings before, but yesterday we used a board that is two cm bigger, and has tighter bindings. I'm still getting used to it, so I can't judge yet. My arms were really sore yesterday, so we'll see what happens tomorrow. :-)
Old     (wake_it_up)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-15-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
If your still having problems after this, bring out a camera and take a video. Im sure everyone will get it resolved if they see exactly whats happening.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-16-2009, 4:10 AM Reply   
wow ...... pages of advice and only two people had the correct advice. Hickman and Gary Cody.... bravo. You need noting more but to concentrate on the angle of the board through the water.

If you are meeting to much resistance and it is hard to hold on..... push your toes forward to plane the board out paralell with the water.

If you are being pulled over the top relax your toes a little and let the board angle up a little.

It is a balancing act between toes and heels shifting the angles of the board! Make very small rigid adjustments. That is why people tell you to put your heels underneath your butt until the boat starts to pull.... it is easier to maintain this correct angle that way.

After many repetitions of adjusting the angle of the board you should get it. Balance front to back.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
Keep the board to your butt. It will "flatten" out the angle of your board and pop you right up. We got a 60 yr old up like this on Sunday. Was plowing water bigtime and eventually pop the handle. First try with board to his butt and he popped right up.

the boom is pulling from over your head, doing most of the work getting you up and riding. You just need a little help getting the board under you, then popping yourself up.

You could try seated dock starts, but that's a crutch... Learn to get up. you got it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
and wouldn't curls or some "pulling" exercises be better?
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-16-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
Squat, Stand, and Twist. I don't know if that will simplify anything for you but that's how I got the girls to learn that ride with me and trust me they were getting just as upset before I figured out a way to tell them how to do it. I told them that the board would prolly go under water when the boat took off which is when they need to go from squat to stand, and then once they are up twist their hips to whatever way feels most comfortable. I have always said that the only thing that should be sore when trying to learn how to get up is your abs. Your arms should just be the leverage you use along with the boat to stand up. Also a very helpful thing was me getting in the water with them to calm them down once they started getting upset. I think that might have helped more than anything b/c it went from just sitting out there alone listening to people in the boat shout out a bunch of non-sense to just one person in the water that is up close and personal that can see what exactly you are doing. Also if that person in real patient it doesn't hurt either. If it's not possible for someone to be out there with you just think about what you have to do the few days before and then once you get in the water and get ready to go try and switch your focus on something else just to let your muscle memory allow itself to kick in. Remember what Yogi Berra said about baseball "It's 90% mental and the other half is physical." Hope this helps keep us in touch
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       06-19-2009, 4:33 AM Reply   
Rachel

I am no pro by any means and everything has pretty much been said. If the rope is being pulled out of your hands then you are most likely keeping the bottom of the board too parallel to the back of the boat. Your board should not be anywhere near a 90 degree angle to the water. Should be more like a 45 so that it can plane and come up on top of the water. Otherwise it's like the boat is dragging a log and you will not win a tug of war with any boat! Be in a squat position with your knees as close to your chest as possible. As the boat begins to pull you , keep the board angled toward the back of the boat. (people in boat should not be able to read the graphics on the bottom). You should come up on top of the water in this squatted position. All you have to do then is stand up slowly, making sure to keep more weight on your heels, and twist the board into your preferred position.
I have gotten many beginners up like this. I just tell them to stay in a squat position and hold on. You will get it...don't give up!
Old     (bwags500)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-22-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
ok so seriously what we tell people in my boat is just let the boat do all the work. be lazy! we've gotten pretty much everyone who trys up
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-23-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
sounds to me like your not letting your knees hit your chest. if you let your knees hit you should pop right up, however if you resist it you will plow water which makes it hard to hold on. that would explain why your arms are hurting