Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-19-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
Let me start by saying I've already read the "Original SAN" post. Found a used 2000 SAN in my area that looks pretty sweet. I've always liked the look of older SAN'S. Unfortunately I've never drove or had the chance to ride behind one. Looking for year specific pro's and con's.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-19-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
mine had a hydraulic swim deck that had a battery underneath so if the battery died you had to remove the rear seat. Make sure to put a Perko switch on there if you get it to avoid this issue.

Those gauges will go bad if they haven't and they drain power from the battery even when off, which is why you need the switch.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-19-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
Con
For sure in the one piece hatch with the hydraulic arm andthe interior layout/storage space. Wasn't very good use of the space if you ask me.

Pro
Wake and price of course
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-19-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
haha, i meant hydraulic hatch/sunpad.... hydraulic swim deck would be interesting!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-19-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
If you have never ridden behind one I would suggest doing so BEFORE you buy one. The SAN wake is quite a bit steeper than other wakes (naturally). (You can always add weight to the bow to mellow it out.) It takes many people a while to adjust to the wake. Same goes for driving. I would definitely try and drive and ride behind a SAN before buying one.
Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-19-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
IMO the only con in that boat was the one piece hatch and no U shaped seating. Pro is the wake and plenty of power to weight it however you want with the correct prop.
Old     (mtpockets)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-19-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
The deck is too large-takes up space in the boat. The best year is 03. No hatch,better gauges,and thinner deck
Old    K.B.C.            09-19-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
^^^I don't fully agree with that. I get to ride in an 02 and an 01. The extra room in the 02 is negligable(sp) and the gunnels are very narrow and hard to stand on when getting boards in/out of racks etc. I think I prefer the larger deck and gunnels. Both great boats, not actually even sure which I like best, but I don't think the 03 is hands down the best SAN.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
pros:
wonderful wake when weighted properly
top notch construction
classic clean look

cons,
extremely sensitive to side to side weight distribution, one side washes out
weird running surface transfer to the side of the boat when turning while weighted
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-19-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
cons:

all your friends getting hurt from getting launched off a giaganourmous wake.

pros:
more ride time for you cause all your friends are hurt ;)
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-19-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
I ride behind an'00 SAN alot and would say those are the only cons and they are minor. The boat is awesome. Definitely ride/drive one before you buy, but I would say that for any boat you are interested in.
Old     (kylenautique)      Join Date: May 2008       09-19-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
Can the 00 SAN one piece hatch be converted to the 3 piece like on the 01? Has anyone ever done that? I'm going to be buying a SAN, and thats the one thing that turns me off on the 00.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-19-2008, 11:47 AM Reply   
I would say the only drawback is the solid swim deck but I would also bet that you could rework it into something nice if have the skills and funds.

CC was the last to adopt the split rear deck because they had/have a serious problem copying other improvements (NIH).

Many folks that I know with SANs are used to walking on piles of crap on the floor because the storage is so inconvenient. So, if you are not anal about your boat (like me), you will be fine without any rework.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-19-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
I have one. The rear deck is just ok. Only small boards can fit. If you split into three you will have fit issues and it will never be just right. Leave it be and you will be just fine.

I store all my boards in the rack, ropes on the tower and tube on top of my bimini but I live across the street from the lake. I just back it in and I'm ready to go.

I agree with the touchy wake from side to side. Anyone have a fix for it other than moving everyone around? I have asked this question many times with little to no response- but I ask anyway... :-(
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-19-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
Coinless, usually leaving 2 or 3 pop bags out on the floor is the easiest way to deal with it. Throw them where they need to be and sit back down...maybe 15 seconds of work per set.
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-19-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
Coinless...I do the same as M-Dizzle. I leave two Pop bags (80 pounds) in the cabin and adjust as needed. Super easy.
Old    K.B.C.            09-19-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
we do the same on ours, keep two 50 # bags of lead to move around for balance
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
The pros have been well covered but will throw in a couple more cons.

Opposite prop rotation so backing, docking, picking up riders, and surfing on port side are more challenging. Everything except the surfing is not a big deal once you get used to it.

Wake Table: With that steep wake, you get an unforgiving table. Not a problem for intermediate riders and up, but it will punish you more than other wakes if you land a little short.

Lots of Pros, mostly around the wake and how efficient it is to build a solid wake that will boot you. I like riding behind them.
Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-20-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feed back. Con's seem pretty minor. The biggest pro for me is the price. The boat I have found is less than half the price of my other option...a new malibu vtx...Love the vtx but i'm not sure if I want to spend 60+ on my first wake specific boat. I've heard lot's about the '02 & '03 SAN'S, is that the same hull as the 2000?
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-20-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
Same hull from circa 1995-2003. Buy the boat you can pay cash for. Remember that B.O.A.T. stands for Break out another thousand.
Old     (koop)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-20-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Trying to decide if I want to pay 30 'ish for a used boat or 60+ for a new boat (most likely a vtx). Fit and finish is obviosly better new, but not sure if that's what I want to do. Got a couple young kids..so boat is probably going to be pulling a tube (at low speeds} and floating alot!
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-20-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Here you go Chad. This was sent to me before I bought my 01 SAN.

This is a copy and past from another thread. The Author is Dragon88 and it is as good of rundown as I have seen.

In 1995 Correct Craft released the Super Sport Nautique. It was a 21' V-drive family cruiser.

In 1999 Correct Craft released the "Super Air Nautique" using the same hull. It has rear flat ballast tanks (LCS) as well as a the first generation flight control tower. (FCT)

In 2000 Correct Craft released their new dash layout "Smart pod" with digital Teleflex gauges, that are extremely prone to burning out along with the second generation FCT. This was also the first year for colored decks. 2000 was also the 75th anniversary of the CC brand. Boats received a diamond sticker on the windshield that noted this. New reverse "N" gelcoat scheme, but the "classic" graphic/3 stripe was still an option.

2001- Correct Craft at some point does away with true wrap around seating for the "stadium seating." It is also the first year of the 3 piece rear hatch.

In 2002 The deck was redesigned to make more room, the sloped transom of the 01 and previous SS now had a more squared off look it. The boat received a new interior vinyl pattern, which disappeared in 2003. This is also the last year that the PCM GT-40 was offered. 2002 also marked the first of the "Team" edition boats, this package included Kicker audio speakers, wedge tanks, and an optional center ballast. 2002 Also brought a new gelcoat pattern. The buyer could now choose: deck, hull, primary, secondary, and third stripe colors.

In 2003, the SAN saw another dash and interior, these two elements would stay with the boat for the rest of it's run. The Super Air Nautique was also renamed the "210" a name which was reverted mid season back to "Super Air 210" due to consumer outcry. 2003 is widely regarded as a favorite year due to the fact that it contains the best of the new model (04-05) boats + a colored deck (2003 was the final year of production for this.) the actuated trunk covers. 2003 was also the final year of the Python 502 motor in the Super Air and the first year that the PCM Excalibur 330 became standard. This year the CD player was also re-located to the glovebox.

2004- brought us the 3rd generation of the FCT, this was the first year since 2000 that one could no longer order a colored deck. The 2004 boats also saw a new latching system on the back hatches to replace the actuated doors. These are referred to as the "knee busters." 2004 also did away with the 3rd stripe. The SAN from this point on only had Hull, Primary, and Secondary color options.

2005- Correct Craft reverts to the second generation FCT tower. The team edition boats are now outfitted with Polk Momo, and for the first time boats come from the factory with exposed speaker grills. In either 2004 or 2005 (or somewhere in-between those years.) CC added more reinforcement to the bow to make the boat less likely to porpoise.

2006- Correct Craft once again names the 210 the "210 Air" The '06 brought many changes, the most drastic being the new PCM- V-drive transfer case. This new V-drive replaced the Walters unit. The PCM V-drive was smaller, but also changed the prop rotation to a clockwise(right hand rotation.) Along with those changes the problematic "Helm control" system was replaced all together, they used Jabsco ballast puppies (auto reversible pumps.) so there is one pump per tank. The new ballast system drains the water under the hull and as a result the ballast overflow/and drain ports on the hull were eliminated. 2006 also brought a new fourth generation flight control tower. Which seemed to be a modified version of the new SAN220 tower. due to the differences in beam width, the new FCT4 for the SAN has additional bracing. They also elongated the windshield...

In 2007 CC killed off the SAN that we all loved and had loved for over a decade.

To answer your question, the hull has not changed from 1995 when the first Super Sport Nautique rolled off the floor. There were only changes to the deck, and various other trim and mechanical changes. Still one of my favorite hulls. My list of changes is not exactly comprehensive but to my knowledge it is fairly close.

Call your boat what you want, but I think SAN covers it all. Everything else is just dressing. In fact, I find it amusing when people say the SANTE has the best wake, like the SANSE or SANLE or SAN or SS have a different
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       09-30-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Good info, but there is one correction in the above summary. I believe the 3 door rear hatch came the same year as the narrowing of the gunnels (sp), the seating change, and the TE was introduced. I believe this was 2002.
Old    K.B.C.            09-30-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
^^^nope, my buddy has on 01. Wide gunnels and a 3 door hatch