Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-24-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
In my opinion kicker could have designed the kmt6 better. If they were 2 ohm each we could run a smaller amp on them with better results. If they were 8 ohms, you could bridge a smaller amp to higher output. For example I could run my 4 channel to my boat speakers and tower at 180 watts per channel at 2 ohm stereo if the kmt6 were 2 ohm each. The way they are now you cannot use a 4 channel amp bridged due to them being 3 ohms and have to use a huge 2 channel around 2 feet long (which is also a space issue in a boat) to get 200 watts to each. Even the smaller kicker 300.2 would have worked perfect.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
The old kicker outlaw setup was wired soo each speaker was 2 ohms, and you only needed 2 channels to run 4 speakers.

Look around for those, thats what we run and they are awesome.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
Cue Phil White...
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-24-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
Why would you want to risk running them at 2 ohms in the first place. They won't even be significantly louder when moving from 120 Watts to 200 Watts really, and at 3 or 4 ohms they will certainly be cleaner than at 2 ohms.

But that's all just some minor reasons why 4 ohms is always better than 2 ohms.

The big reason: P=I^2*R. Lower impedance decreases safety and mandates larger gauge cable to be run through your tower.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-24-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
I have never heard of the outlaw.

on another note what type of output would I get from my soundstream at 3 to 3.5 ohms if it is rated at 90x4 at 4 ohms and 180x4 at 2 ohms?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-24-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
Hate N-

That is funny... Phil in 5...

Ty-
I appreciate your frustration, but it is maybe unfounded. On the surface I can even agree with your argument, but when you really get into the nuts and bolts of it, it really sort of makes sense.

Kicker is not the only one out there with a 3-ohm speaker. Frankly, I would prefer it be a 4-ohm speaker so that you could run two pair, but I doubt they would fit on your tower...

3-ohms is a good load for pretty much all amps. Despite modern technology, there are still some out there that are really only good with a 4-ohm load per channel. We cheat those amps a little with the 3-ohm load...

I have typed a few things and then erased, only to type a few other things, and backspace... I have been out of the office this week and am trying to reply via smart-phone, so how about we visit it Monday when I get back to the office??? It will save my fingers and my phone :-)

If you are on the water, be safe all of you! I would be on the water right now, but we have lake wind warnings posted.... Oklahoma....

Trust me we can make good sense of it for ya!

Have a good weekend all!!!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-25-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
Thank you. I was hoping that you would jump in and make sense of this for me.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-25-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
Phil,
What lake do you hang out on? Carl Blackwell??
I'm over in edmond and wouldn't catching up and hearing what kicker stuff you have on your boat.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-26-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
Sneaking in briefly on Sunday morning...

Ty- my pleasure! let me know any time you have a question. I get confused at times even, but there are good reasons for most (?) of what we do...

Daniel- Yeah, I am on Lake Carl Blackwell. Love to have you check the lake out some time! My system rocks, but is not over - the - top; I built it to reflect what a solid OEM system could or should be. Two pairs of marine components, a KM10 marine sub in a custom box, and an SKM10 under the sunpad. Right now I am running that on a single 700.5.

Now the sailboat... That is another story!

Catch you all Monday!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-27-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
I would like to see these in a 4 ohm but Phil makes some great arguments. I also wanted to say thank you to phil for going above and beyond. He is definitely one of the reason kicker is so strong.

Thank you Phil