Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (felony)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 4:16 AM Reply   
I'm a new rider (i've been kiteboarding a couple of years) starting out wakeboarding at the cable park.

I used to ride on my kiteboard, but every since i tried out a wakeboard im seriously looking to buy one.

My preference goes to 2009/2010 gear (ronix is a bit more expensive). Most shops offer nice deals on board/binding packages:

- LF Trip / Index
- LF PS3 / Vantage
- LF Groove / Transit
- LF Witness / Ultra

What do you guys reckon would be a good board-package for the cable? Im starting to learn raileys (can do them with kiting easily) and from there backrolls/s-bends. Im not necessarily looking for a grindbase, but would be a plus.

Thanks for the advice!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-23-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Take a look at Sling Shot as well great flexy company. For the park I know lots of people are going with the Vantage just for the easy in and out with the velcro.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-23-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Any combination of the Hybrid or FLX with Vantages or Ultras is a money cable setup.
Old     (onepoorpilot)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
if you want cheap, go with the watson limited with a grind base for 2009.... best of both worlds for boat and cable.
Old     (felony)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-24-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies! Im leaning to the vantages but the velcro kind of puts me off..

Im located in the netherlands and the prices are pretty steep here. I was at the cable park today and the shop had a 2009 watson ltd with the grind base (white/red) for something like 450 euro, they would give me 20% off tho.
Old     (tenniswiz37)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-24-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
if u like flex get a 09 response or reflex and d2's are like $100 on some sites.....but lf has the flx and the 09 bindings might be cheaper on some sites now.
Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2010, 12:48 AM Reply   
Dylan, any of these boards/bindings would work, but take into account this:

- A regular board without a grindbase gets destroyed pretty fast on any obstacle. If you use obstacles, it could easily break in the middle of the season, leaving you with questions about the fairness and the industry... Been there... Another option is to stop using obstacles, which is not fun. Why buy a board that is limiting your fun? Get a board WITH grindbase, or even better, get a hybrid board. Also check for "Rope" wakeboards, they should be available in Netherlands, look for the old one - hybrid and with the shape of the old Watson. Don't go for a flex board if you're planning to learn air tricks.

- The velcro straps are cool when new, but with time they get weak. Also the material the boot itself is made is weak and gets rended by the sun. A cheaper alternative is 2009 Watsons or Sovens (but not LTD - the air sole cracks sometimes and gets filled with water). Check out Ronix boots also. Any 2009 baseless model is a great choice.

Whatever you choose, check for older models first. A board is just a board - foam, few layers of cheap fiberglass and epoxy. Better save those 200-300 euros, concentrate on you riding, nail that raley, then the backroll, buy few stacks'o Hineken and drink it with everybody at the cable. Wakeboarding is about fun and friends, not about buying equipment...
Old     (felony)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-25-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
You're absolutely right Georgi. I am looking for a grind base board now.

What about the S4 or PS3 with grind base? Or the Shane CT boot? All 2009
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-25-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Definitely look for a grind base. Even if you don't think that you want to hit that many obstacles at first, you'll want to later and the grind base will hold up so much better. If you can get a S4 with grind base, that's going to be a great board for the cable or that 2009 Watson LTD that you said your shop had. The Vantages are a good boot for the cable and I have never had any problems with the velcro wearing out, but the CT Shane will be great as well.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-25-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
I ride the PS3 at the cable and have ridden the Witness, Watson and S4. All with the grind base, A MUST!, Actually I think I've ridden about every LF board out there. Personally, not including the flex boards, I like the witness. I wish they had one with the grind base when I bought my board but they do now! Then the Watson, S4 and my least favorite is my PS3. But at the cable I really don't care as much. I just think the witness and ps3 slide just a little better because there isn't a spine down the middle. Pop characteristics don't really come into play as much at the cable so that's why I like the the boards that I do. Plus the witness is just a little bit looser than the others, not as much as some, but just enough to make it fun. If I don't get a flex board I'm sticking with the witness for a really long time. Last years bindings are all great. The nice thing about the vantages is the velcro makes it really easy to get on and off and at the cable thats a big plus. We had vantages as the demo bindings at KCW and they held up really well. Used everyday by lots of people and they still stuck and was still together. The 08's sucked but the 09's are nice. Personally I like the Shanes the best, but Vantages are my first choice at the cable. Even the domain is really good for the price. I'm sure you could find some 09 boards and 09 bindings at a really good price.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-25-2010, 10:31 PM Reply   
S4 and watson are great boards for cable. Velcro bindings are probably the greatest thing ever for cable riders, made the switch last year and never going back to laces!

Go for the non air cell version as the air cells crack every time for cable riders, havent seen a pair that lasted more than 3 weeks so far.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-25-2010, 10:32 PM Reply   
also since youre in netherlands why not give Rope a go? They look good and Ive heard they are built tough
Old     (felony)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2010, 12:43 AM Reply   
Rope wakeboards? I've never heard of them but ill look it up!

I've found another 2009 watson ltd, I'm gonna check with the seller to see if I can get a good deal with them. There's another option though since the Witness Grind sounds like a nice board, thats the Witness Grind / Vantages 2010 packages. Its only 570 euro. I don't think I can even beat that price with 2009 board and bindings separately since this is a package deal.

What is exactly is a spine? Is that where 2 concaves meet? Because the Witness definitely has one?
Old     (felony)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2010, 12:58 AM Reply   
If I choose for the Witness, what size should I get? I was going for a 137/138, but the Witness is only in 136 and 140 available. Im about 160lbs..
Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-26-2010, 6:31 AM Reply   
Sounds like a nice deal. Ask for free t-shirt or cap, and if the dealer gives you one, take everything and hit the cable right away!

The size is optional... I am 175lbs (80kg) and ride 139. Smaller boards doesn't feel good for me, bigger are still good, so if it was me, more likely, I would go for the bigger one. How tall are you?

Last edited by georgi; 04-26-2010 at 6:40 AM.
Old     (felony)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
Im 5'11 so I reckon I need the 140. I think the 136 is a tad to small, but the 140 might be a tad to big

Choices are a b...
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
Dylan get the 140. That's what I ride behind the boat. I'm also around the 160 range and 5'5" and I don't feel its too big. I do like the 136. I can go either way personally, I don't feel it makes a huge difference for me at the cable. I rode a 136, 138 and a 140 at the cable and you get used to what you have. Each different boards so the characteristics of each are what makes the difference but as far as size I don't notice it too much. Its the least of my worries when buying a board. Not that I'm a pro or anything just my personal experience. If you can get an 09 Witness GRIND, Vantage package than that will be a killer cable board. The best cable rider in the world rode it last year. That's got to say something huh. Fooshee still rides the witness, the grind is his pro model, but I'm not sure on the bindings. I think you'll like it. If you can demo both the 136 and the 140 than that's what you should do.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-26-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
I think you have to say Nick is clearly the best cable rider in the world, not taking anything away from Tom, Id say he is a very close second.

Definitely go for the 140 at your height and weight, its perfect
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-26-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
try evogear.com their 2009 boards are 20% off of sale prices wich are 40% off of retail prices.you should look at grind boards for cable sliders and ramps and kickers. one day can rip up regular boards.
Old     (felony)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2010, 1:01 AM Reply   
I wish evogear would ship to the netherlands. They've got contracts with brands like Liquid Force for which they cannot ship out of the US.
Old     (911)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2010, 2:05 AM Reply   
they do ship to europe
ordered some LF stuff from them a while ago.
worked great.
Old     (felony)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2010, 3:05 AM Reply   
I think the Witness/Vantage isn't such a bad deal. I'm currently waiting for the boots to come in at the store.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's great to have so many replies! I'll let you guys know when it comes in and i'll post some pics in the 2010 setups thread for sure
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-28-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Dude that's sweet. I love the board and I'm sure you will too. It is the grind base one right?