Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-11-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
what is the deal with Hyperlite... www.thesystemiscoming.com
anyone know?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-11-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
Hyperlite's new boot/binding system for 2011. It's more like snowboard boots and bindings were the boots will be able to come off the binding and the bindings will be interchangable with other boots.
Old    Chaserwaser            06-11-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
Idk what purpose that would serve for a wakeboard though lol, its not like people have to walk on the water nor have 5 pairs of boots to change from.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-11-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Will probably make for better boots. With a separate boot/bindings system they won't have to incorporate the base plates and binding hardware into the boots. It would also be nice for cable and winching so you could just walk in your boots and then just hit 2 straps/buckles on the bindings and be ready to go.
Old    Chaserwaser            06-11-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
Well now that I think about it it would be nice for winching actually haha
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-11-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
how could they make it light weight?
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-11-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
It must be for certain boards then as the 2011 Marek has the same strata system.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-12-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
you saw a 2011 marek? i have a 2010 marek setup
Old     (bouvs)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
The new Marek's graphics are very impressive!! The new "system" has many benefits too, should be a good combo.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-12-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
where are the pics???
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       06-12-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
finally a company is moving to the snowboard boot/binding combo

anyone got pics?
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-12-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
I'm going to say that a binding/boot system will just cost more money. That way they can charge you $400 for the binding then $400 for the boot then $800 for a board.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Damn, you would think the prices would be similar to the snowboard industry....
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-12-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
time will tell but i dont think they would do that with the economy the way it is unless its way superior to whats out now
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-12-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
On Chad Sharpes page, you can see Langley and Lariche riding the new boot binding setup. Check it out. I know the slalom ski industry has gone to a hard boot, but I just don't see the benefit on a wakeboard.

Jeff Langley, Chad Sharpe, Jimmy LaRiche, Erik Ruck from Chad Sharpe on Vimeo.

Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-12-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
Can't embed the video, so just check out funwhenwet.com and it is the second movie down.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-12-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
As to the 2011 Marek, it will still have the strata so the new system must mount the same way instead of a disc or 4 hole pattern like snowboards.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-13-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
thanks for the vid link. its too small to really see
Old    benj_t            06-13-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
imagine catching an edge with that boot/binding system, there is no way you are coming out of your board...which is not good
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-13-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
I dont ever come out of my boots as it is. I'm interested to see how they tackle the whole issue, and aside from winching I really dont see much need for boots that detach from the board. I find it hard to believe that they would switch their entire binding line to that style when it only really targets one small niche of riders.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-13-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
You don't want to come out of your bindings. That is how knees get ruined and things tear. When one leg comes out and the other doesn't there can be all sorts of problems.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
There are many more cable riders world wide than boat riders, this system will be a big advantage for riding cable
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-13-2010, 9:35 PM Reply   
What about the info that was released about the newer slingshot boots, before they got put back into the mix for a early 2011 release. supposedly they were going to have a durable traction of some sort on the removable liners, since a few winchers and cable riders were already using the liners to walk around in.
If SS still plan to use that idea in the new boots that will be a way to have boots to walk the land with that wont be completely locked in
but then again, who is to say for sure that these new hyperlite system boots wont release well on a fall. once we get a close up look at the final product maybe it will be different somehow than our imaginations lead
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-14-2010, 5:26 AM Reply   
do snowboard bindings release?
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2010, 5:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelspsp View Post
do snowboard bindings release?
No. There is no way to come out of a snowboard binding unless something breaks, which is usually your body before the binding.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-14-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
ouch, but it seems if you dont need to come out on snow. why would you need to come out on the water?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-14-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Im no snowboarder (only been a handful of times)
the key difference in crashes is the medium that your crashing on... or in the case of liquid water as in wakeboarding, crashing IN. depending how you crash the water will put some major yanking forces between you and the board which is why the one foot in one foot out scenario is sooo dreaded.

the initial impact on water may not hurt as much as snow, ice, or even the street, but the after impact and forces IN the water are something else entirely to deal with. deep powder (which i have no experience with) would be the closest thing i imagine to crash in for snowboarding

i still want to see a better picture of this "system" maybe it is different some how. and some really do prefer to stay in their boots, so maybe they will have an option for traditional mounting still i bet like open and closed toe
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-14-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
I have seen them and they will revolutionize boots and bindings for the wakeboard community! They are sick! Much like snowboarding I have a pair of boots that have lasted for the last 3 years and I go through bindings every year or two. So now you will be able to buy a pair of boots that are super comfy and change up binding options in the future if you want.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-14-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
looks like an old school low back snowboard binding.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-14-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
Good call Darren, I dont know how I overlooked cable. I'm interested to see how the rest of the wakeboard industry would respond to a situation like Riley mentioned, where you could hang on to a pair of boots and go through bindings yearly. Would this be something they could get in on to make some profit off Hyperlite design? Or will it be a flash in the pan that gets discarded because its too Hyperlite specific?
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-14-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
Ben excellent points.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       06-14-2010, 7:10 PM Reply   
i can't wait to check out these boots
for the binding, a person would probably be able to tap into the wealth of product testing in the snowboard industry and use a pair of snowboard bindings (since there is in snowboarding the 4x4 insert and the wider two bolt option as w/ burton gear)
Old     (jasonmurray12)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-14-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
Any pictures?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-14-2010, 9:06 PM Reply   
have to see this properly I think. On the surface Ive never understood the need to go for separate binding.boot system. Even for cable it doesn't make that much sense to me, having to swim to shore in your bulky bindings. I dont know, not ruling it out but it would have to be done so well to make any sense. Cant wait to see more info on it tho!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-14-2010, 10:55 PM Reply   
I like the concept. My two biggest gripes are heel lift and durability. Sounds like this could solve both of those. If I was rich and had money to gamble with I would personally start my own binding company and build a fully customize-able vantage-esque boot that each rider could modify similar to snowboard binders with options for strap locations, heel cup rotation, forward lean, side to side lean, etc.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-15-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
im curious as to why they have ads out and a web page and there is no information.....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-15-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
because that's what Wake companies do to "build hype". People will be interested, seek out info, and likely wait on purchases until they get to see them. Also, when you hear someone speak that is connected to Hyperlite, they all use similar phrasing of "it will revolutionize wake bindings", almost like that is the message that's been given.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-15-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
It is my understanding HL will be updating all NEW information regarding the new binding's via email, when you sign up for the mailer on http://www.thesystemiscoming.com/
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-16-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
i signed up last week. still nothing....
Old     (hyperliteoz)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-17-2010, 9:47 PM Reply   
get ready - its going to change the way you think about wakeboard boots.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-18-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
ok Adam, explain......
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
like I said.......
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-18-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
lol. A-dub you are right. but if it takes too long to get the hype, i lose interest. ADD maybe??? and i dont think i am the only one who feels like this either.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-03-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Byrom hit it on the head imo. You fall IN water and fall ON the snow. You don't want to come out of your gear when snowboarding, but this isn't snowboarding. In many cases, you need to come out of the gear when wakeboarding otherwise you're gonna get hurt. By not coming out, there will be huge amounts of opposing forces being put on your body. The pros know how to fall, and are good enough that they don't usually get themselves into a crazy fall. For everyday schmucks on the water who get scorpioned all the time, they are gonna get hurt.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: QUIT TRYING TO TURN WAKEBOARDING INTO SNOWBOARDING!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-03-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
I have been a believer from the start and have seen it time and time again." You're better off in than out". Way more serious injuries from coming out, especialy one foot...and I think this new system will have it's place as stated earlier.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-03-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
One foot in and one foot out is never good. BUT, name one situation when it is safer to stay in both bindings instead of coming out of both bindings?
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-03-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Name a situation where you want to get ejected from both bindings? Whatever it is, I would rather take the same fall and stay in both bindings.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-03-2010, 4:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewproses View Post
Name a situation where you want to get ejected from both bindings? Whatever it is, I would rather take the same fall and stay in both bindings.

How about when you catch an edge and your body becomes a wet noodle? I will vote to come completely out EVERY time. When you come out of the boots, there is a whole lot less force being unleashed on your brain, than if you stay in. It's just a fact.
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-03-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
Back in '96 I was learning raleys and my bindings were so loose I could jump out of them. After almost landing a raley, I caught an edge, got ejected from my bindings while simultaniously face planting, and got knocked out. Whether you come out of your bindings or not, it will not greatly change the speed your face hits the water after catching an edge.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-03-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
^^^ "Whether you come out of your bindings or not, it will not greatly change the speed your face hits the water after catching an edge."

Somebody get the Mythbusters on this, stat!
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebuddy View Post
Whether you come out of your bindings or not, it will not greatly change the speed your face hits the water after catching an edge.

You are right about that, however, if you have a board strapped to feet that doesn't release, just think of much worse it could have been. Because your feet did release, your body was able to move forward after hitting the water.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-04-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
I am willing to take the risk of increased potential to be injured from falling (and staying in my boots) to reduce the potential of injury in riding loose enough bindings to be ejected from. Ever seen a 1 foot in 1 foot out scenario?...no thanks!
Old     (matteoh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-06-2010, 12:17 AM Reply   
I've been hearing that it's gonna be more expensive to buy these instead of buying what we have been buying in this industry for the last 2 decades. I feel that it is ridiculous and hyperlite is trying to scheme their way into people spending alot more money on things that they don't need. I could understand buying the bindings and different boots for two or more people but does everyone ride the same board? The same set up? But if it is my board and bindings when am I really going to need to ever take off my boots from the board, walk around on the base plate that touches my board, and strap back onto it in some other location? This is one of the most ridiculous things that hyperlite has ever done. Way to out do your self hyperlite. What a joke
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-06-2010, 10:49 PM Reply   
I think there is a strong arguement for this new "system" at the cable park, and when winching but past that, not sure. Time will tell.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       09-07-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
Yes