Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-09-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
I've been thinking of picking up a new lens, to help in replacing the kit 18-55 on my D40. Looking at the specs it accepts all lenses, but the autofocus function gets taken away with many of them. Can anyone help me understand which lenses will still autofocus? The specs for the camera state:

1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported
2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus

When I look at the Nikon lenses, they all have a G or D after them. Most of them also say AF-S in the beginning. Do I only need to make sure it says AF-S to have this function? I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right lenses. From what I can tell the AF-S seems to be what I need to make sure is there.

The lens I'm thinking of is the AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

Thanks!

(Message edited by goinbigg17 on January 09, 2009)
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-09-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
G means no aperture ring, D means distance information.

Just need to make sure you have AF-S or AF-I on the lens. You can't autofocus the screw driven lenses. No big deal really unless you have a boatload of high end older lenses or you want to use the 10.5 fish.

Regarding lenses...I think you are wasting money going from a 18-55 to the 18-70. You only gain marginal reach and are still stuck shooting a max F3.5 lens.

In my opinion, you should really only have one consumer level lens and that is the 18-200 VR (well maybe the 1.8 50mm as well). After that, build up your high end zoom trinity (DX=12-24 F4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200VR 2.8; FX=14-24 F2.8, 24-70 F2.8, 70-200VR F2.8) Somewhere in the process get your high end specialty lenses (think Macro, fish, tilt shift, prime specialty (eg. portrait, wildlife tele) etc...)

I have never regretted getting my good glass. Next on my list is the 14-24 (hopefully this summer) and the day they come out with a full frame fish I will buy it as well.

Anyways, just trying to keep you from having a bunch of useless lenses once you upgrade

Later

Bakes
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-09-2009, 10:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Bakes.

Might be holding out a little longer...I know good lenses aren't cheap but I'm not ready to drop 1k plus on them. Maybe I'll just pick up the 50mm, even though it lacks the autofocus for me, for the time being and work with what I have.

Thanks again!
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-10-2009, 7:50 AM Reply   
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 I'm so impressed with the quality of this lens. Look at the reviews. Sharper then Canon L series and gives Nikon glass a run for it's money. My next lens will be the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. Inexpensive (compared to Nikkor or Canon) and high image quality
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-10-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
AP, any idea if that lens comes in an AF-S? Only see the AF on Tamron's site, the price is nice on it.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
They have built in motors so they do work with Nikon D40's
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-13-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
Awesome, might be going that route. Price is way better than the Nikon.