Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-19-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
I had this box built which is totally encased in fiberglass resin, fully fiberglassed at every joint for strength, and built to the extact specification of the sub for 2 feet of internal air space. It also has mounting feet to keep it away form moisture. It is a sealed enclosure, which gives you the best sounds quality for a 12" Kicker L5 sub.

I had two boxes built and the bass was so loud and clear that I'm just only keeping one box. This is the best box I've ever seen built for a boat. It comes with the Kicker 12" L5 sub and grill, plus internal wiring and speaker post.

The sub is wired in series (daul 2 ohm voice coils) to give an load of 4 ohms. This is perfect for most amps that can be bridged into a single channel for sub output. With these specs the sub handles 500 watts RMS or 1000 watts peak. The carpet can be changed to match your boat. The measurements are 26.5" deep (including sub and grill), 13" tall and 12" wide in the rear, 18" wide the front. This is a perfect shape for the front passenger storage compartment.

I want to sell this for $450 or best offer. Where is the best place to post this ad? Thanks.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by mikeporter2000 on August 19, 2008)
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-19-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
in the classified accessories section. what boat it came out of/fits in if its a custom box would help ya too!!
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-20-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
Just so people know, that box is too big for that sub, you can get that sub to pound in less than one cube. Kicker's are not SQ subs...with that airspace it shoudl haev been ported. To optimize that sub, re-wire it to show a 1 ohm load and run it on a decent amp. Your wasting an amp if your runnign it seeing 4 ohms on a sub. Lots of misinformation in that post. And that whole setup is worth about $200-$220.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
^^^Second with the possible exception of going from 4 to 1 Ohm. If you want to run it in parallel with a second L5 but yes for just 1 sub. I can't understand why they built such a large sealed enclosure when I was reading it I thought it was going to say it was ported.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-20-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Sam,

With all due respect, this is comical. Anyone who is at all knowledgable about audio will know simply from reading your post, that you have no idea what you are talking about:

Point 1: When you port this sub you get higher SPL and less sounds quality. If you prefer SPL, sure port it, but if you want sound quality, go for sealed. Here is the link to the manual for the 2008 Kicker 12"L5 sub, which clearly illustrates the 2 foot box for maximum SQ(sound quality):http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2008/2008%20L5%20Sub%20c01%20web.pdf

Point2: Sam says this sub should be rewired (in parallel) to run in 1 ohm. This is also a proposterous point. It totally depends on what your amp is stable to. Most amps are stable only to 4 ohms when bridged, so this is why the sub is wired this way. In order for a 2 channel amp to be stable at 1 ohm bridged, that same amp would need to be stable at 1/2 ohm in 2 channel mode. Very few amps are stable at this ohm load with the excpetion of some of the high current Orions and a few others. Trust me, if you want to run this sub, buy an amp that is stable at 4 ohm bridged that puts out around 500 watts and you'll be dialed. Coincidentally, this sub can handle 600 watts in a smaller enclousure. Again, all this info is avilable in the manual:http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2008/2008%20L5%20Sub%20c01%20web.pdf
Examples of manufacturer's that make amps stable only at 4 ohms bridged or higher include JL, Rockford, Alpine, Orion and the list goes on. You can certainly purchase amps, even from JL for example, that are stable at lower ohm loads, but the vast majority of amps are only going to be stable at 4 ohms bridged. Finding an amp to properly pair with this sub is very simple.

Point 3: Sam says this setup is worth $200-220. Again, comical. If you visit any audio store and have them make you a MDF box completely encapsulated with fiberglass resin, then fully fiberglassed at every joint, wired, carpeted and footed, they will charge you $300 minimum without the sub. The sub alone (which is brand new including manual and box) can be purchased at Crutchfield for $299:http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/item/main.aspx?i=206812L52&search=kicker+12l5
Total the two of those up and you are talking at least a $600 value.

Lastly, I switched from 2 JL Audio 12w3v2 subs...sound quality subs, Sam ;)... running on the same clean (.02% distortion) amp bridged at 4 ohms. The 12" kicker sounds much much better in my opinion. In addition these subs have rubber surrounds, which is critical in a marine environemnt. JL surrounds will eventually wither away, as my JL foam surrounds did. This is a great sub in an amazing enclosure.

Sam, thanks for the morning entertainment. I enjoyed it.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-20-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
Read the manuals boys or talk to the Kicker technicians. This sub sounds incredible. If you live anywhere near Seattle come down and we'll ride and listen to some incredible sound. I have a second box installed in my boat now built to the same spec. I'm sure there are other Wakeworld members who have ridden in my boat who will vouch for my knowledge of audio and my system. The invite is open...Lake Sammamish!
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-20-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
Grabbing popcorn...while I'm not an audiophile, I enjoy a good tennis match...your shot Sam and you both sound very convincing.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-20-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
Maybe my points were misunderstood....Kickers are not known as being SQ subs (this is what I meant). Secondly you’re in a boat....you won't even notice. Go for SPL, port it. B/c your in a boat space is at a min. Most people go with kicker in boats b/c of the low (size) box requirements. Building a 2 cube box for that sub is retarded. It's a waste of space in a boat. The builder should have ported it. Drop an aeroprot (flanged port) in , cut to length, very easy.

There are so many good 1 ohm stable sub amps that are low priced, this is the way to go. Running a class d sub amp seeing a 4 ohm load is wasting power/efficiency of the amp (unless your talking about an amp w/ a regulated power supply, you could argue this point). Most class D sub amps are designed to run at 1-2 ohms very efficiently.

Kicker can be bough all day long on eBay or local dealer brand new for $150, the box...good luck trying to recoupe any costs out of that. I have no doubt it sounds good, but Mike you got owned by whoever told you needed to have that type of box built. That sub would sound just as good in just under one cube, 3/4 inch mdf, resined.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-20-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Sam, once again you are willingly publishing incorrect information and discrediting yourself. Do you routinely kick yourslef in the nuts as well? :-)

Point1: You say that Kicker subs are used "b/c of the low (size) box requirements". This couldn't be farther from the truth. please read the Kicker manual before you respond again. Kicker subs require some of the largest boxes around. Case is point:

12"L5 sub sealed = .88 to 2 cubic feet
12"L5 sub ported = 1.75 to 3.25 cubic feet
Again, supported by the manual:
http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2008/2008%20L5%20Sub%20c01%20web.pdf

Compare this with a more traditional sized sub, the JL Audio 12" w6v2:

Sealed JL 12w6v2 = recommended 1.25 cubic feet
Ported JL 12w6v2 = recommended 1.5 cubic feet

Again, backed up with documentation from JL:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/7876.pdf

Point 2: You say "Building a 2 cube box for that sub is retarded. It's a waste of space in a boat. The builder should have ported it. Drop an aeroport (flanged port) in , cut to length, very easy." Again, I appreciate the amusement, but as you can see from the specs, the ideal ported enclosure for this sub is 3.25 cubic feet! If a 2 foot enclosure is "retarded", what is building a 3.25 ported enclosure? Lastly, you should have been aware that ported enclosures require more airspace than sealed enclosures. This enclosure was built sealed for the purpose of maximum sound quality from this sub, and that's what a 2 foot sealed enclosure with a 12L5 gives you.

Point 3: Sam, once again, you are spreading misinformation that, if listened to, would cause uniformed users to blow their amps. Here is a challenge for you. Go do your research and find me five amps that are stable at "1 ohm bridged". Please do not overlook the "bridged" portion of this. In addition, you are overlooking the point that as you take your amp down to lower loads you are increasing distortion - not a good think in my book.

Please take my challenge, and come back with internet links this time, instead of simply throwing out unsubstantiated comments. Everything you have said is pulled from the hip with absolutely no backup. Although I very much enjoy being more educated than the next guy, it's just too bad that people like you pollute wakeworld with uninformed, unsubstantiated comments. It is fun though - thanks! :-)

(Message edited by mikeporter2000 on August 20, 2008)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-20-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
I've got to agree you will never come close to getting $450 for that setup, new maybe but it's used. You never get anything for used electronics. However you are correct in my experience put those kickers in as big of a box as possible. I bet it does slam but I'd put the upper end JL subs (w6 or w7) against them any day of the week.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-20-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Hi nu bu,

I likely wont' get $450, and that's why I said best offer. I'll listen to any offer.

I like the W7s, they are nice! However, I've been down the JL route already. The JL "foam" surrounds will deteriorate in a boat as my 12w3's did. That is why I went to Kicker with rubber surrounds.

What most people don't realize is Kickers have very good sound quality when installed in the correct, large, sealed enclosure. The rubber surrounds are a must in a marine environment for long term durability in my experience.

Oh, and this sub was purchased about a month ago and was only used a couple times. The Kicker subs have a 20 hour break-in period, which has not even been met in this sub. The box was built weeks ago. It's a beutiful box.

(Message edited by mikeporter2000 on August 20, 2008)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-20-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
So it is fairly new, you should emphasize that more in the ad. I've never had an issue with the JL surrounds, hope I never will either.
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-20-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
Sam,

I've re-thought my challenge portion in Point 2 above. There is no point to this challenge. You will have a hard time finding a 2 channel amp stable to 1 ohm bridged that's clear.

However, you are correct that you could use a class D monoblock stable at 1 ohm.

It's is so incredibly simple to switch this sub from series to parallel. So, regardless of whether you want to use a two channel amp run at 4 ohms, or a mono amp run at 1 ohms, you are fine.

Moral of the story, this setup can be run at 1 ohm or 4 ohms, depending on your amp choice. Problem addressed.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
I can attest that one L5 in this boat has much more bass output than 2 JLw3's. It's not even close, which really surprises me. It is ridiculous how much air one L5 moves. 2 L5's was definitely overkill.

Guys, it isn't exactly great etiquette to criticize a price point. Either he gets the sale or he doesn't, but you shouldn't be questioning the price. Debating viewpoints is fine.

On with the tennis match....
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-20-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Is it bad etiquette to post a classified ad in the wrong forum?
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-20-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
Tim, you are correct. I re-posted on the accessories for sale link. I meant no harm, was just trying to determine the best place to post. Thanks.
Old     (sigmodes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-20-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Mike I charge 350 to 500 for a fiberglassed box w no woofer. You should be able to get 450 or so for the whole set up. This Seattle weather sucks.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
I agree Shane. Nothing like looking out your front door at rain pouring down all over your boat. Do you think my speakers will be in by Wednesday?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-20-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
I have to apologize, I was being a PITA.

When it comes to prices when selling electronics person to person, you really need to expect eBay prices. Custom speaker enclosures really don't hold much value, as everybody has unique requirements for their vehicle.
Old     (sigmodes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-20-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
Brett I just called them and they said they well have them back in stock by the middle of next week. So maybe. I will call you an let you know next week.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-20-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
where you going to put that big ol thing? It seems that all sub box's I've seen in comp boats have to be custom made to fit a certain specific area. Making a big box an just shoving it in the passenger compartment may work but does not seem right to me. IMHO. what kind of boat do you have yours in?
Old     (mikeporter2000)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-20-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
Hi Tom,

The way this box is shaped, it will fit well in most of the storage compartments in the front of the passenger seat. The second box is installed in the storage compartment in front of the driver console in my Tige' 22V. Based on my experience with my friend's boats, I know it will fit in most Malibus, Mastercrafts, Centurions, etc. Maybe it won't fit in the smaller boats, but 21-22 foot plus should not be a problem. Thanks.