Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-01-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
Thinking about getting one. Wondering which one is better. Please leave any feedback that you have about wither.

Thnaks,
Phall

Rope Winder
http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/PROD/wakeboard_tower_rope_winder/rope_winder06

Ski Reel
www.skireel.com
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-01-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
Support your local economy, lol. Skireel is made in Houston. Stop by Texas Tige and check one out in person.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Unless things have changed, I want to say the Ski Reel was way more expensive.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-01-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
yes ski reel is more expensive. I read a review on wakeside and the rope winder is suposedly slow according to one person the other person saif they love it
I am seriously thinking about ski reel but if it is slow too then I am not getting wither one
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-01-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
Preston, I am the local Tige dealer, and a co-partner of Skireel Watersports. Swing by the shop in the Woodlands one day and check one out for yourself. We have quite a few on hand, and can custom build for any customer. There is no other product in the marketplace like the Skireel. Not only does it store the rope for you when not in use, but it has the POWER to real you in or out as you ride. It comes standard with an integrated rechargable 12V battery, so installing is a cinch. If you want to check one out, always give the showroom a call before you head up (Texas Tige 281.296.2320), and make sure we aren't on the water, but we will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. We look forward to seeing you.
Old     (jv_v210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-01-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
I have the ropewinder 2 years now, and love it. Keeps the rope tucked away nice till you need it, when your ready, unlock it, pull the handle, jump in the water, let the boat pull out your desired length, and then flip the switch to lock, and ride. It pulls my buddy 215 lbs plus board strapped on no problem. 1 less thing to deal with in the boat, my opinion that always a plus. Just remember to lock it before you pull someone up. They say you can fry the motor if you pull the rope out more than 3 mph. Not a problem in my opinion. Never have to take the rope and handle off of the boat.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-06-2007, 7:31 PM Reply   
Preston, like Brandon says, there is no substitute for the Skireel. Yes I am biased but I know the design involved. The Skireel WakePro is not a rope storage device, it is an adjustable towrope. "}It pulls my buddy 215 lbs plus board strapped on no problem" This was quoted by Jerry. To be clear, it may have pulled his buddy, but his buddy was floating in the water and the boat was in idle.

The Skireel pulls up to 300 lbs riders in to 10 feet behind the boat and back out to 95 feet and anywhere in between while they are in their boards and the boat is towing them. BIG DIFFERENCE. www.skireel.com
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-06-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
Does Skireel have a marked cable to let you know how far out you've run the line? How do you get a consistent length?
Also, is there a solar recharger that can go with it or can you wire it to the boats charging system?
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-07-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
Art, any rope on the market will work with the Skireel but we do offer the Skireel Profusion line from Master Line. This rope is 85 feet total length, the first 60 feet is yellow and there are different color sections every 5 feet. No loops no knots. You can visually look up and see how far out your are.

The Skireel does not hardwire to the boat or tower. The integrated battery is charged using a charger that can be pluged up to the 12v power port on your boat or to a wall outlet in your garage. A solar charger is availble as well.

(Message edited by skireel on February 07, 2007)
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-07-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
I have used both before, and i would definitely buy the Skireel over other rope winders. As mentioned above the Skireel lets you adjust your riding distance while you are riding which makes all the difference in the world.
Old     (ropewinder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
Hi Preston, its Kevin from RopeWinder. Looks like your doing your homework...good. There are very definite differences between our RopeWinder and the SkiReel. They both wind the rope and they both lock it at any length. 1) The RopeWinder only weighs 7 pounds, the SkiReel weighs 30 pounds...lots of extra weight on your tower. 2) The RopeWinder is much much smaller, (smaller than a speaker) and looks like it belongs on your tower. 3) The RopeWinder is less expensive because our volume has allowed us to reduce the costs. We are now a Premium Partner of Mastercraft. 4) RopeWinder now has remote control that can be carried and operated by the rider. 5) The RopeWinder is not as slow. It winds a 90 ft rope in about 50 seconds, about the same as winding it by hand.
Please don't get me wrong here, the SkiReel is a great product, just different. It really depends on what you are looking for.
The RopeWinder comes with a money back guarantee so you can try it out without committing. We have lots of happy customers. Contact us directly anytime at (916)655-3333 if you have any questions. www.RopeWinder.com
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-08-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
Dan,
I appreciate the kind words, we are proud of our product as we were the very first to invent and market this type of accessory. FYI, Skireel has had a wireless remote option since 2002 and we currently sell many units with this feature. In fact, our patent covers this feature. The Skireel does weight 30lbs but we have an integrated battery and do not require holes drilled and wire ran through the tower and we use 100% billet aluminum to secure the Skireel to the tower. We have yet to have an issue due to weight. Since when is a wakeboard boat or tower weight sensitive? As for price, all Skireels are CUSTOM made for each customer and we offer the power to adjust the line length on the fly. We offer a full 1 year warranty. The Skireel blends in nicely on all towers and with all speakers.

Upload
Upload

(Message edited by skireel on February 08, 2007)

(Message edited by skireel on February 08, 2007)
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-08-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
I guess I just don't get it, ok you can adjust the rope in and out while you're riding, that's great. But other than that what is the point?
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-08-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Pete, adjusting the rope in and out instantly as you ride saves you from stopping and starting your pull 10 times to find the right line length. The Skireel, just like the Rope Winder, reels in and stores the rope without knonts. The point is wakeboard boats are loaded down with luxury, frills, and features. The Skireel is one of those luxuries.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-08-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
By WakePro (skireel) on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 7:38 pm:
Pete, adjusting the rope in and out instantly as you ride saves you from stopping and starting your pull 10 times to find the right line length.

I guess that's just never been an issue for me...
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-08-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
Pete, you are lucky, you know what line length you ride at all the time and in all conditions. I, on the other hand, usually have riders in my boat that are not always quite sure how far out he should be so reeling them in or out takes seconds and we never have to stop the boat. They give us the thumbs up when they feel they are in the part of the wake that fits them.
Old     (newtige20v)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-09-2007, 5:14 AM Reply   
I have one on my Tige' and use it everytime we are on the water. It looks good and works just as promised.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-09-2007, 5:48 AM Reply   
Both look like great products. I think if you are in a situation where you are riding everyday or nearly everyday it would be a great, all most needed feature. The concept is good with both. The Problems I see with each are this the Skireel is very big and the overall size detracts from the overall boat (but this is a case of function over form and is a minor detal). The ropewinder is smaller but you lose your navigation light if you put it on. Both then to look a bit funky up there but like I said function over form. Too me how come a larger flat version has not be tried(maybe it was)? Kind of like a large tape measure? Both are very cool products that many will find a use for. I am glad there are so many small companies that are making attempts to better the wakeboarding industry and make things easier when on the water.

(Message edited by oaf on February 09, 2007)
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-09-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
WakePro,
It's pretty simple I have the main line and three take off sections, it's not real hard to get it dialed. Would an extra 1' back be better? Maybe, is it worth $700 to find out? Not a chance.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2007, 6:20 AM Reply   
Pete,
Ok so as I mentioned, you are dailed in at your length on your boat with X amount of weight. I assume this never changes. Yes 1 or 2 or three feet make a big difference. Ask any Outlaw or Pro rider.
I never have an empty boat and each of those riders require a different length. I hit a switch and its done. All of my satisfied customers seem to think it is worth it. A quick correction. The Skireel starts at $995 and most of our systems sell for $1200 to $1500, so it certainly is more than you are willing to pay. Dont knock it till you try it and dont insult those who buy it as a luxury just because they chose to spend the $1k on an accessory that is unique and very functional.
Old     (cwfunrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-09-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
I'm with Pete. Don't really see the point. But I guess if you have money to burn, burn it.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-09-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
WakePro, sure the weight changes a little depending on how many people are in the boat. But when we are out riding on week nights I keep it to about 4 people so it's pretty consistent. Weekends we load it up but the water is pretty choppy on the weekends so not much real serious riding gets done anyway. I have had pro level riders behind my boat and I haven't had to change the line length ten times to get them dialed in. I'll find a better way to blow a grand, like gas for a couple months or a strip club run.

(Message edited by ridininmd on February 09, 2007)
Old     (ropewinder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-09-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
Hi guys, its Kevin with RopeWinder again. Very interesting reading all of this. Actually, we do have a nav light that mounts on top of the RopeWinder that looks great and is very easy to install. (see photo)
We are also introducing our dash mounted LCD display that is programmable to a specific length, just like Perfect pass. Just scroll to the pre-programmed rider's name (or enter the length) and the RopeWinder will automatically lock at that length when it deploys. Just another cool option for those who want that extra luxury.
Also, we have never had complaints about running wires thru the tower. This is commonly done already for speakers and lights. Then you don't ever have to worry about recharging the battery to wind your rope.
The RopeWinder price starts at only $599.
Upload
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
chris and pete, I can appreciate your points. After all, wake boats are a luxury and everything that goes on them is icing on the cake. over 70% of Skireel are sold by a boat dealer on a new boat. If you are buying a $70k RZ2, anothe $1000 is not even a blip on the screen. Most of these customers are adding $5 to $8k in stereo upgrades. Other good customers are wake schools and camps that deal with rope issues day in and day out.
The Skireel is not a price point option. It is a high quaility custom built option.

Our electronic control does not let the battery die. A full charge will get you weeks of riding. Most people recharge when the boat is stored. We have always offerd a plug in mini transom pole that plugs in the top of the Skireel and replaces the tower transom light.

Upload
Old     (ropewinder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-09-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
Both products are great, it really just depends on what your looking for. Just so long as we don't have to deal with that frustrating, irritating rope anymore, just buy either one and be a happy boater/rider!
Old     (jv_v210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-09-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
Hey Dan,
I have the ropewinder, like I said before. I'm sure the skireel is cool too but I'm happy with the ropewinder. You have to own either one to fully understand how nice it is to have it. One less thing to deal with in the boat = more ride time, and relaxation. I don't even take the rope and handle off anymore! Very nice. If you worry about cost, or Fluff, or Flash, don't buy it. I like my toys, and can afford it, and it is a very functional part of my boat. Everyone else can deal with their rope, and be happy. I will let my ropewinder deal with it,and be happy. By the way I dealt with Darren on the phone about a couple things recently. Can you tell me more about accessories,,,, Remote, digital readout, anchor light. I'm interested, and don't see it on the website. Info and price would be nice. Should I call Darren? Thanx.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-09-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
Cripple fight!!!

This eliminates my favorite part of wakeboarding. The handle toss to dome noggin smack from 30 feet. I find it most effective when you call the riders name immediately before impact so they look & take one in the face. POW!! this alone takes me off the market for a rope yoyo.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-09-2007, 10:27 PM Reply   
Nice Big Heavy...been there done that.

I find this thread one of the most interesting and informative thread I've read in awhile. I'm extremely interested in both of these products. I like the skireel but it is pretty big and weight does matter when you have a stereo system like some of us do. The cost is a little more but it seems like it would be more user friendly. Like the ideas now just choosing and getting some money together. Man I can't wait to get my taxes back. haha

Keep this thread going!
Old     (newtige20v)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-10-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
Mark, I have a 2004 Skireel WakePro fully chromed out with the wireless remote. It weighs about 25lbs which is 12lbs less than my NVS tyrant speakers. Two people can fold the tower down on my Tige 20V with all the toys still clampled to it. I rarely put my tower down because my lift has plenty of room.
We use our Skireel every time we are on the water. My kids ride in a big crazy tube and we pull them in and out with no problems so it works well for the inflatables too.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-21-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
A customer from Katy Texas sent this picture in last week. They live on Lakes of Katy, a ski lake community, and their neighbor's Malibu broke down. They towed the Malibu in with their Tige RZ2 using the Skireel. I assume this is a new application for the Skireel but it also truly shows how well built and durable our product is.
Upload
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-21-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Would that be warranteed if something happened?

Looks like a nice house in the background there.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-21-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Really intelligent pulling another boat from the tower. The comment about towing inflatables from the tower wasn't the smartest, but a boat, come on!
Old     (luckyj)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-21-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
hello, i would go with the ski reel, it works great! check them out at texas tige or call the expert at skireel online. im just another one who has been satisfied by skireel
Old    00wakesetter            02-21-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
The skireel rocks!! I have used one several times and it works great going from a full length line to a short surf rope.
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-21-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
mhayes: he is not pulling from the tower, he is pulling that ole Bu from the SKIREEL!!!!!! Yeah Baby!!!!!!
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       02-21-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
It looks like you lower your tow point a bit. Can you mount it upside down on TOP of the tower so that it doesn't take up cabin "head" room. I can't even fathom how many people will hit their heads on that thing.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-21-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Brandon, and the Skireel is mounted to what??????
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
hey guys
can't figure out how I would still use my camera system...
anybody encountered this?
...I use the top mount Trakker
thanks
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
go with ski reel. I saw it at the boat show last year it was an awesome product.
Old     (skireel)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-22-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
Sean, The Skireel can be mounted on top of the tower or invereted (upside down). The Tige S series tower allows for a "floating" install because the Skireel fits between the front and back cross bars. The Tige Z series tower is more than 9 inches taller than all other towers so intalling the Skireel inverted has no effect on walk through height or "head room" As you can see from the pictures. The Malibu Illusion is one where the Skireel is almost always mounted inverted simply due to the unique design of the tower. Titan, Skylon, Boss, Monster, and all factory OEM towers have worked great with the Skireel. We have installed Skireels on all boat and tower brands.

Top Install

Upload

Inverted Install
Upload

Tige S series
Upload

Tige Z series
Upload

Malibu Illusion
Upload
Old     (slowake)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-28-2007, 11:35 PM Reply   
I have used the ropewinder for 3 years now and never had a problem. I couldn't imagine not having it on our boats at the Delta
wakeboard Camp. It makes it easy to adjust for the skill level of the rider. If the rider keeps casing the wake we shorten the rope a little bit w/out telling them so they clear and build there confidence up and then let thm back out. Here is a pick of the winder on my Malibu. It is wired to the dash and works great. Oh yeah there is a deal on this set up, $55,000 for the ropewinder and get a free 2006 Malibu LSV.

Upload
Upload