Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (dpauly84)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-13-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
I purchased a jump sling after dislocating my shoulder last year and again at the beginning of this season. Looked like the best brace I could find to get my by without surgery. Worked well for a couple weeks and thought I was golden until my shoulder popped out again the other night. Anyone else wear these things with any luck?? This injury is becoming a real problem
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-13-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
I was able to do some R&D with a shoulder brace company back 5 years ago. There isnt a brace that is really a cure. It is the most complex joint in the body. A GREAT surgeon might be your best bet. It was for me, typically dislocations get worse and worse until you just cant ride anymore or like me, bones begin to fracture
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-13-2009, 10:50 PM Reply   
never worn the jump sling. i wear an evs sb03. it actually doesnt work like it should. i dont think any shoulder brace could. all it does is constantly remind me to be aware. after 5 dislocations and a surgery, i have just come to adjust how i ride. as in i dont do tricks where i put that shoulder in a position to come out. it could come out doing a wake jump, but i never land with solely that hand on the handle. i have figured out if you stick to a good workout routine and adjust the tricks you throw you can avoid this very annoying problem. good luck and let me know what works for you.
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
I'm with Steve on this one. I have one rebuilt shoulder and another that needs it. I wear the EVS brace on the bad one but like Steve, as a reminder. It's a mental thing. I have adjusted the way I ride but if my left one comes out again, I'll probably have surgery. Also workout routine helps a ton. I have trained myself to pull both of my arms into my chest or a sides when I fall. Good luck man, shoulders are difficult.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-14-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
This is probably of little help, but, I do know a guy that wears one for slalom, and compared to wear you where one on jump (just above hip level, around elbow level because the point is to draw your arm down a little) he wears it high up around his bicep. He does this for better pull, and to save his shoulder/collar bone. I honestly don't think it will help you, as with wakeboarding you need some more mobility, and will get in situations where you need your arm to extend out. Since you have it, try wearing it in different locations starting at above elbow and then work your way up. If it is not feeling right, don't push it, and change it immediately. Maybe mess with how tight it fits you too.
Old     (dpauly84)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-14-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
I started out wearing the evs sb03 but it didn't really feel like it was doing anything for me. I guess I just really need to concentrate on fallin with my arms in. Twice it has happened by under rotating on a w2w 180 and slipping out onto my back with my arm caught behind. The other was a face plant with my arm out above my head
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-14-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
Shoulder injuries suck. Good work out routines help build the muscles to keep the shoulder in. I don't know about you guys, but I really can't control by body parts when I wreck. Its more like I'm laying in the water wondering what happened! haha!
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-14-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
Hate to break it to you dude, but just go see the best surgeon that you can find. I thought I would be okay too, but it kept on coming out to the point where it would come out in my sleep. Initially, I had just torn my labrum but by the time I went under for surgery I had a torn ligament as well as rotator cuff damage. Play it safe before it gets worse!
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-14-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
yea i don't think the sb03 does much either and would more than likely not save my shoulder in certain crashes. it mostly is a reminder to tuck that shoulder when you are going to crash. i do this without thinking every time now. the sucky part about shoulders is that i had surgery after my fourth dislocation and it came out again. there are just certain falls where it is inevitable that it will come out if you have already dislocated it.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-16-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
I wouldn't trust any of the shoulder braces, I've dislocated my shoulder even when it was taped up by my physiotherapist. Tape is a lot more restrictive than any brace I've ever seen.

Get a good surgeon and it won't happen anymore/ quite so much. I haven't popped my shoulder in 6 years after surgery. Did it 5 or 6 times in the year before I had surgery, about once a month after the first one, none of them were from wakeboarding though.

The guy who did my surgery is considered the best in the country (NZ) but even still my shoulder is not 100% it still locks up occasionally and I hurt it while out surfing the other week. Was sitting out the back, got rolled by a freak wave, tried to go under it and my board got pushed back up towards me and then back over my right shoulder while I was still hanging on. I'm sure if I hadn't had the surgery it would have dislocated.