Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
Is the MCX engine enough for a loaded down X-Star or should you upgrade to the 385hp?
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       10-10-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
how loaded down are we speaking?
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-10-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
We have a 04 and we run up to 3,000 lbs of ballast.
The MCX will do fine, but def. need to reprop.
14.5 pitch.
Although I have heard the 07 x-stars have a better stock prop.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-10-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
The 07 Stock Prop w/ the Newer Rudder should be AWESOME
The STOCK prop is the 14.25 x 14.5
Make sure you balance your ballast.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-10-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
That's what I have now, and that's what I ordered again for 07'!
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
What is the pitch of the stock '06 prop?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-10-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
i have the mcx in my 06 xstar but i got a prop upgrade, and my boat was loaded this summer and it got on plain fine...i had the factory ballast full, plus 2 750s full in the back and a 300 under the seats in the front..

the prop is what the pro tour boat uses, nick and julz were out at my lake house in california and they changed the prop and put all of that weight in my boat
Old     (big_b)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-11-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
in our 06 x-star we have the 385. were definitely glad we got the bigger motor. we like to load it down with a lot of weight and i think it would take a while to plane out if we didnt have the extra power
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-11-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
We have a '06 with MCX and have the Fly-High custom ballast addition (+2100#), bringing the total close to or over 3000#.
We need about 1/3th of our private lake to get on plane and almost 1/2 before Perfect Pass settles down to the set speed. If we get more than 3 people in the boat, we either have to empty ballast or move them to the front.
Our next X-Star will have a bigger engine.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-11-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
Eddy, you guys wouldn't consider a smaller boat that gets the rider to speed faster?
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-11-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
We love the wake of the new X-Star. We also love the boat itself. It is also nice to have the room for the occasional 7-8 people. This does not happen often but it is nice for when it happens.
You know we had the old X-Star (now X1) before and although we loved that boat/wake, there is no going back.
We are going to experiment more with other props and maybe shift the weight around some more, but we can live with it the way it is now.

Craig mentioned you might be visiting again. When are you guys coming over ?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-11-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
ah....we bagged the Florida trip this year. Everyone is busted up and broke! Evan and Allen both had injuries. Billy just bought a new home...and of course I have my list of excuses. I'll open up the discussion again after the 1st of the year and see where we are.

Thank you though for your offer to come ride! I hope we can visit againvery soon!
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-11-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
Eddie,

What are you perfect pass settings. It should take over quicker than that.

T
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-11-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
MCX with the right prop for your activities will work great.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-12-2006, 6:33 AM Reply   
I do not remember exactly. I'll check it and post it. I had to experiment with it for a while and just left it where it is now.
The problem is that it takes over once it is getting close to the set speed and then goes +-1mph over, drops +- 1mph under and then creeps slowly back up to the set speed. From then on, it keeps the speed just fine. It would be great if we could get it to where it settles faster.
We have a friend on the lake with a new SAN 220 and he has the same problem.
Old     (wakebuddy87)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-18-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
Im in the market to buy a wakesetter or an x-star. Havent really got a chance to demo these boats but i wanted to know which wake you prefer. if you have any pictures of the wakes could you please post them!

Thanks
Chris
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-18-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
It doesnt really matter what wake we prefer, you are the one spending the money. Go test both. I will say that the new VLX has an awesome wake, haven't tried the x-star yet.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       10-18-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
Chris, check this site.
http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/boat_inspector/index.html?manufacture=4&boat=1
But more importantly demo the boats.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-19-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
Chris,
if you are looking for the best wakeboard wake, the x-star is the way to go. I haven't been in the new VLX yet, but if you get a chance to ride behind a x-star go for it. Pictures of the wake don't do it justice you have to ride it.
Also, the MCX is plenty of power even heavily weighted, just make sure you prop it down to a 14.
Old     (wakebuddy87)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-19-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
I hear a lot about them and it is definitely one of my favorites. However, I want a boat that will have the best stock wake too. This is because my dad doesnt want to spend a ton of money on a boat that you have to put lead or sacs in. Does the Xstar have an awesome stock wake? What about the wakesetters?

Thanks
Chris
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-19-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
The X-Star does not have an awesome stock wake. The VLX whoops its ass in that department. Granted if you want a legit wake the VLX will require at least an additional 1000 pounds of ballast. The X-Star will need more, the only one I've ridden was Jesson Vedel's(a GB rider) and it had some ridiculous amount (3,000+) which made an incredible wake. In regards to the original post, it had the MCX and while it took a little bit it got out of the water in good time.

Chris, do a search. Its been discussed MANY times.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-21-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
Agreed that the stock X-Star does not have a pro-level wake. But... that is the case with all other boats. Remove the wedge from a Malibu and you end up with not much either.
Here is a picture of an X-Star wake;

Stock;
Upload
+3000lbs;
Upload
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-21-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
X-Star surfwake;
Upload
Upload
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-21-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Thanks to Travis, hinting that my PerfectPass settings might be off, I did some research on older threads on the subject and found other settings to try.
It is now much better, it now gets a little hot, about 1mph over, then drops to 0.3 mph under and then settles. MUCH quicker than before.

Here are my old setting;
KDW 130
NN 100
CS 950
CR 1900 (believe this one does not matter)

Changed to;
KDW 200
NN 80
CS 950

Travis, is that about what you have ?
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-21-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
I have both the Kdw and Nn at 120, and my CS at 1035. But, I would say mine acts like you are saying yours does now. It overshoots about half a mile and then settles quickly.

If you tweak the CS a little it will engage quicker. I have done them from 900 to 1050 in different boats. Just try moving it 10-20 one way and see what happens. I'm sure you can get it dialed even a little better.

The most important thing is just do one setting at a time(Kdw, Nn, CS). Then you can really tell what is going on.

But, hey, if yours is working better, then right on.
Old     (wakebuddy87)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-21-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
Eddy Celis, I heard about the custom Fly-High ballast addition from the x-star that they used at the INT nationals. Can you explain to me what it is exactly. Also, where you bought it, how it is installed, and how much it costs.

Thanks
Chris
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-22-2006, 5:25 AM Reply   
Chris, I send you an email...
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-22-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
The new LY6 400 horse engine in the X-Star is a POWERHOUSE! If going with an 07 X-Star I would definitly go with this new engine.

With our 07 Demo X-Star slammed with weight it pops out of the hole no problem with the stock prop. This being said we did play around with props a little bit and the boat was almost a bit too torquey with an upgraded prop, it made the boat lurch when barely touching the throttle.