Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-16-2005, 4:23 AM Reply   
I have been thinking lately (happens once in a while).....

How many of you are so "brand loyal" that you won't try a board or binding from "another" company?

I do understand that when you find something you like, you stick with it. I know there are riders out there that may have not been on any brand other than HL, LF, CWB (pick one) in years. Like I said, you may find a brand, or particular model that you love, and don't need to replace it. I guess I am talking about just taking a spin (test ride) on a different board, maybe even to remind you how much you like yours, maybe just to see what the difference is, etc. New designs, rockers, shapes, etc.

Personally, I own 2 HL's and 2 CWB's. Happen to have LF bindings on them though. Never even ridden a LF board. I know that may be all wrong, but call me crazy, I don't care. I ride what I like, just like you probably do.

Just wondering.....
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-16-2005, 4:54 AM Reply   
i own a hyperlite, a double up, and several cwb boards. I own hyperlite bindings and cwb bindings, and am planning on purchasing some liquid force bindings next season......

I really think you can find a shape you like with any company, for instance.......those like myself who love the cwb absolute would probably equally enjoy the hyperlite era. my .02

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2005, 5:19 AM Reply   
The first board I've ever ridden was the Double Ender --O'brien...I picked up the LF Trip when it first came out and snapped that also. I also rode the HL Belmont which I wasn't impressed with so I turned that into my slider board..I'll tell you what, The next board I bought was LF Balance, It's the best ride and set up I've had yet along with the exo suctions, I don't think I'll ever ride another company's equipment again. It just "FEEL'S" right to me, sorta like fallin' in love -- you just know!
Old    260searay            10-16-2005, 7:56 AM Reply   
In 04 i got an Obrien science and only rode about 4 times and learned to get up. This summer i rode as much as i could and bought a LF team in the spring and by the end of summer i could go w2w heelside and toeside(sometimes) and hit a couple indy grabs.....I really would like to pic up a LF substance or a CWB absolute platinum to see what all the hype is about.
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       10-16-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
I have a hyperlite vero which is way too big for me, I bought it in 03 while we still had our old I/O. We got an X2 this summer so I picked up a Gator Caddy 135 with it. I love this board even though its a little bit heavier than most LF's or CwB's. The board has a ton of pop, really soft landings and its just perfect with out the center fin. I busted out the vero one time this season and realized how much better my Gator is. The only board I would ride other than the caddy would probobally be the Harris or an Absolute Platinum.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-16-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
All good stuff, but I ,aybe did not make my point clear.

I have had instances where I offered someone to take a board for a ride. "Hey" Try my Marius (Absolute, Parks, etc) on your next run if you like" Figured kind of a new design on the Maruis, different ride on a Parks if you have not tried that style of board, etc. I get back a "no thanks" or something like "Nope. Only HL for me". Just the attitude of not having an open mind for other brands, designs, handling characteristics, etc. The whole "I ONLY ride ...... brand, and nothing else is even worth even trying out".

Again, not saying there is anytiing wrong with liking one brand over another. Just the idea of not even wanting to try out something else. There are boards that I would not want to own, but would be willing to take for a ride just to see how they felt.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-16-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
buzz, it's funny you mention it, but i know many guys down here (in socal) that are so loyal (or ignorant) that they refuse to try other brands. maybe if the other brands became #1 in sales, they might try it.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-16-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
I bought 03' HL motive 134 w/split bindings and a buddy of mine bought a used byerly 142 pro model, needless to say I tryed it-can't do it type of thing. Just a bit bigger than mine. But I could not get used to it. Got back on my board and shredded! I love my board.

(Message edited by autotunner69 on October 16, 2005)
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-16-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
i got a cwb freedom in 04. awesome board, loved it. sold it to my buddy's little brother, and now i kinda want it back...

i now ride hl and lf exclusively because the local shop only sells those 2 brands.

i guess what i'm trying to say is, they're all good, and if you're brand loyal you are ewaaay too closed minded to be riding.
Old    dahui            10-16-2005, 12:36 PM Reply   
For me, brand loyalty basically boils down to customer service and product quality. I am open to try any brands. If I have a bad experience with quality or service I will refuse to support or endorse their product. I am kind of anal that way. One thing that will really turn me off to a company is when they see a problem with a product and they keep tunring out the same defective product every year without fixing it.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-16-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
I will try any thing under the sun. I have been riding for 15 years now. One of my friends told me he knows why I ride so many different boards reason is that it keeps it fresh and fun for me.
Also I know alot of pros try each others boards and gives each other inputs.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-16-2005, 8:19 PM Reply   
I'm brand loyal for two reasons. I do try other boards all the time but I keep coming back to my Absolute. Nothing feels as light a snappy. Second is rider support. The local CWB rep and the local shop are awesome.

(Message edited by jarrod on October 16, 2005)
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-16-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
I have a Marius w/Wiley Tri-Axis and a TFD w/LF Alphas.

I know how amazing it is as well when people are "brand loyal". I worked at Wiley's in Seattle this past summer and so many kid's would come in saying I want a Parks board and nothing else. Then you find out how they ride and what have you and try to get them to go with something else to atleast try first. But now they have to have the Park's or whatever it may be. It makes me sick in a way, but I too used to be one that only stuck to brands.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-16-2005, 10:56 PM Reply   
Nick,

I would imagine when they come in for a "Parks", they're going for the rider name, not the brand. If Parks rode a Roxy board (if there was one), they'd be coming in for that.

Hey Buzz,

Next time I'm out with you, offer up some of those rides, will ya? While I like my board a lot, I'm always up for trying other rides. Do you have a Byerly? That thing looks wicked!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-16-2005, 11:09 PM Reply   
dennis, i have a byerly....it will boot you.

btw, it's for sale...
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-16-2005, 11:12 PM Reply   
Oh yeah? I've heard that before about it's pop. Why are you selling it?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-17-2005, 12:34 AM Reply   
time for a new board...i like how it bootrs me but i want something with a cont. rocker because i love landing in the flats and that 3'stage wears on me. e-mail me if you're truly interested. we can set something up.

hijack over. :-)
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-17-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
Buzz,

I know what brought this on. You've been reading your Dr. Suess books again....

Green Eggs & Ham? I do not like them Sam-I-Am!!!

As for me I will try new things in a boat, in a tree, with a mouse, in the house...whatever... but only if there is something feature/benefit I'm looking for or, a deficiency with my current ride. Right now there isn't anything missing from my current setup and previous attempts at trying another brand have been a waste of time/money. All that being said, I would like to try your Marius once I'm back riding.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-17-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
I have no brand loyalty, nor brand hatred (except for hl bindings, since they broke after a month)

that said, if somone wants me to try their stuff, I usually will decline. I like what I ride and really resist the "ill be better if only I have xxx gear" mentality.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-17-2005, 5:56 PM Reply   
Dennis,

Anytime. Let me know.

Tyler,

Haha! You got me. Green eggs & ham! I can't even come up with a good comeback. I am not that creative today. Give me some time, I will thik of something.

I know what you mean. If you like what you are riding, stich with it. Not trying to get anyone to buy another board. Just wondering why some wont even take a ride just out of "curiosity".

I love my Parks, like my Absolute even better. Really the best riding board I have EVER been on. I did not need another one, but the Marius is kind of a new desigs. I am SO glad I have the board-buying disease and picked it up. It is now my favorite board, and will be getting a bunch of time. I really have to start a 12-step program though!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-17-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
Buzz tell me if your 12 step program works. I have made so many bets with my gal about keeping a board and staying on it I just give her the same amount I pay for the board. Keeps me out of trouble.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-18-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
i like trying pretty much anything.....i am only loyal to a brand while i am riding it....but if i try something else i like i will be loyal to that brand. I ride liquid force now and am getting ready to switch to all CWB wakeboard stuff and Hyperlite COEX for wakesurfing. I have my own wakeskate model as you can see by clicking http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=17223. BWM wakeskates are awesome. I personally got to shape the it the way I wanted to. I added variable edges and molded in fins. I guess they are chissled in fins really since it is a wood deck. He makes some sick concaves too as seen by clicking http://www.cplicious.com/bwm/. A lot of people think that I was really hardcore LF but really i just go with who has the best product IMO at that given time. This year I think CWB takes the cake!

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on October 18, 2005)
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       10-18-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
The main reason I don't make it a habit to try other boards and bindings is that I've spent well over $500 on my set-up now. If I ride something I like more it's gonna ruin my perception of what I'm riding now.

It happened to me in the past...first with my CWB Slayer, then my Project. Everytime it ended up costing me $$$. If I didn't have the money to buy a new set-up, I was bummed and it made riding my current set-up less fun.

Yea, I eventually sold my old boards, but it's a hassle and a board that's 2-years-old's value depreciates rather quickly.

Now, I'm on a 2003 Parks. I've heard the 2004 or 2005 Parks have a better design and ride better, but I know as soon as I try it, I will like it and there goes my love for my current board.

If you think about it. It's kinda like cars. I say don't try others until you're ready or able to buy.

Am I wrong?

Your thoughts?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-18-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Dan, do you guys have a new album yet? I'm loving the website.

Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       10-18-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
Not yet...working on it. We have about 23 new tracks that we're finishing up. I'd guess early 2006 hopefully!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-18-2005, 3:32 PM Reply   
dan, no one is saying that people need to go out and try new boards, whether they're ready to buy or not. it's when they ARE ready to buy, they need to look past the name and try as many boards as possible from as many different companies. don't limit yourself to one brand just 'cause that brand happens to outsell others.

btw, can't wait for the new album!
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-18-2005, 7:01 PM Reply   
I have a liquid force sticker on my HL board. Came with The Butter Effect. Guess that's not what ya meant though.