Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-13-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
Stefani, I didn't know I was your favorite rider? J/K!! You and ed have my favorite boat combinations, when you hook up on the delta you will have to post pics of your boats next to each other!
Old    obsurfer            05-13-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
Guess we should have a "Dress to your favorite music" party at the lake! I'll bring a long hair wig (for my rock) bottle of gel (for my punk and 80's) and some slacks (for my chilling with jazz). No sombreos or cowboy hats that s@it sucks.

(Message edited by obsurfer on May 13, 2005)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-13-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
39 weeks...dang you are ready!!I always found friday the 13th pretty lucky,but then again I'm weird like that.

Jason ~ thanks bud...I got to buy a camara 1st.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
Almost forgot about that Stef, good luck.

We just had our bundle of joy April 19
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-13-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   

quote:

Here's a list of the 10 best selling artists of all time.

1. The Beatles- 166.5 million albums sold
2. Elvis Presley- 117.5m
3. Led Zeppelin- 106m
4. Garth Brooks- 105m
5. The Eagles- 88m
6. Billy Joel-78.5m
7.Pink Floyd- 73.5m
8. Barbara Striesand- 71.5m
9. Elton John- 67.5m
10. Aerosmith- 64m

So that's Rock's 762 million albums to Country's 105 million. Yup, looks like country is the most listened to music in the world.

actually, no. that only lists u.s. units sold - worldwide would paint a very different picture (and dave's suspicion was close, the rolling stones are 11th on the list).

but any delineation that's generous enough to put the beatles and billy joel (pop), in the same category as led zep and pink floyd, should agree that elvis and especially the eagles are at least half country.

oh and instead of miller, sub in the king of swing, benny goodman!

(Message edited by deepstructure on May 13, 2005)
Old     (fubar)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-13-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
Who the hell cares what music someone is playing on the water. I hate country too, but judging people by what music they listen to is just lame, and that kind of mentality should be out-grown after high school.
Old    wakelvr            05-13-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
Keith, April 19th is our anniversary! Congrats:-) If you guys ever make a trip to Cali, give us a call and we'll get the family together.

Jason, that's a great idea! Ed has very good taste I must say;-)

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-13-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
I actually do have a 'no country' rule on my boat

however, i'll go to a country bar any day of the week. the girls there are so fine!

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2005, 11:20 PM Reply   
Seems to me that Country is dead these days...

The early 90s had the men of country: garth, alan, george, clint, dunn...
The late 90s had the women of country: shania, faith, chicks, martina...

Seems like the country well done gone dry.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-13-2005, 11:47 PM Reply   
what happen to disco?

i think "saturday night fever" is just hitting theatres in new zealand by now...
Old     (scottay)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-16-2005, 7:02 AM Reply   
I blasted RedNeckWoman and BigNRich last summer at Havasu , yesterday it was some reggaetone DaddyYankee...dunno what they were singing, but when i play rap i cant understand it sometimes either!
Old     (jeffry)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-16-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
All about country Grant. You will here it coming out of my boat
Old    whitechocolate            05-16-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
Play what ever type of music want as loud as you want, Its your boat, your music, your system.

Jeff: When you see someone riding a Jet Ski, dont you just smile and wave at them, but inside your thinking what a Dumb A$$, I wish that ski would catch on fire and sink. I think thats what most people are thinking when they hear country music blasting from your boat. LOL

I say all the W/W country lovers should have a Country Music Jamboree, where they can link all there systems and blast country all day all night, let me know where and when, Ill be sure to make it.

Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-16-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
As a Texan and music lover I can definitely see both sides of the coin here. While I don't like much "mainstream" country, instead listening to Pat Green, Robert Keen, Cross Canadian Ragweed and such........I don't EVER listen to it on the water.

Rap, rock, electronica, house, etc....even 80s....get played on my boat at obscene levels on the NVS. There is a certain vibe that those tunes put out while you're on the water riding that gets you pumped up to ride.

I just think it depends on the situation or your mood or whatever.....if I'm driving through the Hill Country on a sunny afternoon there's nothing like a little Texas country music...it fits the mood......but if I'm out on the boat at Party Cove you're just as liable to hear 2 Live Crew or some house (whatever the women want).
Old    socalgrl79            05-16-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
Ryan - HAHA!
2 Live Crew - wow.. I haven't heard them mentioned in years.
Old    nothinbutwake            05-16-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
Well guys dont move to texas becuase we blast country all day long no matter where you are!!!
Old    billabong            05-16-2005, 4:35 PM Reply   
Listen....it's not that i have anything against rap or country but...i just spent a weekend listening to some led zepplin, AC DC, Gunz and roses, pink floyd, supertramp, and more and personally thats the way to be!....listen me and my friends listen to rap all the time but when your in the boat you need the classics. it's the best way to ride.
Old    kingjaycee            05-16-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
I personally don't care what anyone else thinks about the music I play regardless what it is. if they don't like the music, "GET THE MY BOAT".... Awwww Boat owners have all the power!!

I allow my fellow riders that ride on my boat to listen to what they want during their set.

(Message edited by kingjaycee on May 16, 2005)
Old    waterdog2            05-16-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
play what ever you want. just dont do it at the ramp! it add's to the ramp rage. there is a really loud bu at elsie that insists on full volume at the ramp.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-16-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
Jeff ~ He needs to show his system off!

Stefani ~ You definetly know good taste when you see it,cuss you got good taste yourself!!

If there are no riders in the water ....you know it got to be hip-hop but it's the riders choice....Yes even if it's lame a$$ country or whatever.

Opera anybody??

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on May 16, 2005)
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       05-16-2005, 8:42 PM Reply   
Hey Grant...you used a BIG spoon to stir the pot this time.
PS: You still have'nt made me my CD you promised.
Old    billnye            05-31-2005, 8:54 PM Reply   
Hey does anyone know any good pump up music to put on right before going wakeboarding
Old    supertahoe27            05-31-2005, 10:32 PM Reply   
Linkin Park is the best. I have gotten the most air listening to them. I also recommend Seether.
Old    ren            06-01-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
Hey Grant,

Are you done copying my country collection? I need it back for this weekend.

O and I need my Sponge Bob inner tube back also.

Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
i'm with Grant, IMO country shouldn't be on the water. personally i'm all about the techno/house/dance, hip-hop, some rock :-)
Old    socalgrl79            06-02-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
Wow, who knew you could talk about music while riding for this many posts?
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-02-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
Friends don't let friends listen to country music.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
the closest thing you'll find to country music on my boat is the solo album by Mike Ness (lead singer of Social Distortion).
Old    socalgrl79            06-02-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
Social D is one of my favorite bands ever. Great taste in music Tim!

Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
You should go get "Cheating At Solitaire" by Mike Ness if you are big Social D fan. Great album with a little twang to it (and I personally do not like country music).
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-03-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
last weekend I was out on the water, and this group of kids (16-20) years old with their dads X-10 listening to snoop dogg or something sooo loud. it cracks me up to see some of these privelidged kids from the burbs listening to music from the hood. not sure how that works out, but like I have said before, to each his own. and it does not bother me, as long as they are not blaring it at the ramp. whenever anyone is blaring anything at the ramp, that is just not cool.
and both Mike Ness albums are great. it is nice to see a musician share what his passions were when he was growing up. hearing 'Long Black Veil' with Mike Ness' voice is pretty cool.
Old    socalgrl79            06-03-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
Tim - I have "Cheating at Solitaire"... but thanks for the tip! I'm bummed because I've been in Seattle for three weeks and Social D are playing here tomorrow (the day after I leave!).. that figures! Not that I can complain, I've seen them like three times in the past year.
:-)
Old    r_dub            06-03-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
Holy crap, there are wakeboarders actually talking about music I actually like (Mike Ness/Social D). I was beginning to think that I didnt have anything musically in common, with one person on this sight. Tim, if you like that Mike Ness album. Check out the Supersuckers album, Must Have Been High.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-03-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
Ryan - if you ever need to talk Social D with anyone, drop me a line. I saw the supersuckers play at the first "Hootenany" back in like '96 or so. I think Jerry Lee Lewis was the headliner that year with Social D. saw them play like 5 times that year. they do rock.
Old    socalgrl79            06-03-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
Hey, you can talk Social D with me too!
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-04-2005, 12:15 AM Reply   
I know im a little late on this post but....

1. The Beatles- 166.5 million albums sold
2. Elvis Presley- 117.5m
3. Led Zeppelin- 106m
4. Garth Brooks- 105m
5. The Eagles- 88m
6. Billy Joel-78.5m
7.Pink Floyd- 73.5m
8. Barbara Striesand- 71.5m
9. Elton John- 67.5m
10. Aerosmith- 64m

Looking at the list I believe that three of those top ten you have are country artists.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-04-2005, 3:14 PM Reply   
I'm late too, but frankly, I am at the opposite end of the spectrum from Grant on this...
I like alot of music, I have everything from Glenn Miller to Metallica, and I am 46.
I do not listen to hip-hop, or whatever that stuff is called this week.

I am not worried about "fitting in", I never have been. Fitting in is a joke. Like following the leader off of a cliff..

Listen to what you enjoy, but don't crank it so loud that you make me listen to it 100 yards away, and I won't make you "listen" to me...that is the way I act on the lake, in the truck, or at home. It is just common sense/common courtesy. People that get a bang out of cranking any music, (especially foul-mouthed), for the purpose of annoying others are the reason that laws get enacted about db's, and other stuff that used to just be taboo due to self-respect and respect for others. Saying that one form or another of music doesn't fit with any kind of boating is trying to cram a whole lot of folks into a very small box, which never works out very well..
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2005, 5:23 AM Reply   
Well put Army Dad. I like alot of different music myself, but these days it is pretty much all country.

There was a time when I despised country, I used to love Hip Hop and that is all I would play. But now that I have a child of my own it was time to change my ways. I did not find the language or the message of most Hip Hop songs suitable for family time.

When every song is about how they hit this b*tch or smoked that fool, I knew I had to find a music genre with a little more of a moral backbone. I still flip to a Hip Hop station every now and then when in the car by myself, but I find that I pretty much prefer country in all situations anymore.

Jb