Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skatethewake)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-29-2012, 9:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfan1 View Post
Sweet boat....represents a significant change for Nautique which I have always considered to be a boat designed with classic lines. Now they have a great looking, modern age boat! Hope the doctors and lawyers snatch them up in large numbers so I can pick a used one up in a few years!
lmao
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-29-2012, 11:49 PM Reply   
How about a Nautique that somebody besides a doctor or lawyer could afford...? Now THAT would be changing the game!!

It might also make some records fall... As in sales records.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-30-2012, 3:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
The "game" is wakeboarding. If that wake is as big as it looks in the vids and picks. They just changed the game. That's real talk, not just words.
So your saying Harley will jump ship for this. And Rusty too.Is it 1440 game changing?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-30-2012, 5:18 AM Reply   
LoL lat the nautique lenses some people have

Yea the wake is huge but the price is gonna be insane, this boat, much like new star is irrelevant to most of us here, but yea it's fun to daydream

You wanna know what would change the game? If axis lowered the a22 base price back to the 39,999 that it was when they came out
The only thing that's gunna make wakeboarding grow is getting more people into it. the only way to do that is to change the price and make it more accessible to do that.
Until then this only really affects the top 10% of wakeboarders and top 2% of the population that can afford a boat over 80k
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-30-2012, 5:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
How about a Nautique that somebody besides a doctor or lawyer could afford...? Now THAT would be changing the game!!

It might also make some records fall... As in sales records.
Every time I read a comment like this it reminds me how lucky I am to own a boat that only the elite can afford? As for records I will stand on my previous statement . A few hacked pics does not make a wake boat . There is no evidence that is the boat to be unveiled tomorrow.
If the new boat is not a game changer I will be the first to amend my statement . If it is a game changer will you do the same or will the hating just continue?

Last edited by mhunter; 03-30-2012 at 5:20 AM.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-30-2012, 5:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post

Yea the wake is huge but the price is gonna be insane, this boat, much like new star is irrelevant to most of us here, but yea it's fun to daydream

You wanna know what would change the game? If axis lowered the a22 base price back to the 39,999 that it was when they came out
The only thing that's gonna make wakeboarding grow is getting more people into it. the only way to do that is to change the price and make it more accessible to do that.
Until then this only really affects the top 10% of wakeboarders and top 2% of the population that can afford a boat over 80k
Are there no used boats available? A$$ for every seat there is a good boat for every budget.Should Porsche lower their standards to make a more affordable model for the masses? Nautique doesn't build the most boats they never have . They concentrate on building the best that cost more. Are they worth it ? That's for you to determine . I get a kick out of all the posts that only find price as their only fault.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2012, 6:17 AM Reply   
Well said.

Interesting that nobody commented on my comment about the hull design. Something definitely different from the norm. So, I'm gonna start some rumors to make it interesting It could be the curve of the page, but the hull looks to swoop up in the rear, like a Tige design or something. Also, the prop shaft doesn't seem to come from the center of the hull. Single engine, twin screw?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-30-2012, 6:20 AM Reply   
My hope is that the wake is there on this new boat. From the videos, it looks great. Will it look like that at 23 mph? Will the wake be consistent? Will it be a nice, average, width? How much extra ballast do you have to run to get that wake? How does the boat perform while loaded out?

I have no problem with a company charging a crazy amount for its boats. I just think that, if you're going to charge a premium, your boat needs to be better than cheaper alternatives. Whether that means it has more bling, technology, produces a better wake, whatever. To me, I can live with out touch screens, fancy vinyl stitching, and billet aluminum to save 40-50k. However, I, personally, would pay a lot more for a better performing machine that produces a better wake. I just hope that this is what's going on here with the new G23.

To me, a "game changer" would be a boat that produces a drastically bigger and better wake than other boats on the market. I don't care how it's achieved. I don't care if the hull is made of lead. I don't care if there's a wing that deploys under the boat to create downforce. I don't care if the storage lockers in the rear are so ginormous that you can put 1100 lb bags back there and actually fill them all the way with a piggy back system. I don't care if there is a dedicated huge space created in the nose for a 1100lb bow sac. Whatever. Just build a hull that you can put 6k of weight in and produce a rediculous wake that's consistent at a good range of speeds. Do that, and charge whatever you want for the boat. However, one has to question how many will actually get sold at six figures plus.

I'm just glad I don't have a 2012 230, or have one on order. Because if I had just invested 90k in nautique's 23 ft"flagship" wakeboat, only to find out that a new 23ft "flagship" boat is being introduced, I'd be a little peeved. Unless the G23 is, in fact, going to cost substantially more than a 230, I'd be willing to bet that the resale value of new 230s will take a big hit.
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       03-30-2012, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:

The only thing that's gunna make wakeboarding grow is getting more people into it. the only way to do that is to change the price and make it more accessible to do that.
All that lower sticker price does is put more people into newer boats. With a solid used market out there now I don't see how that changes the game (that game being wakeboarding). Now if your game is the boat market sure it changes the game.

There is a game changer out there, it's been at it for 13 years and is still changing the game. The older 210's which are now on the used market have been a huge deal for this sport. NOT 13 years ago but in the last 5.

You've got a top of the line boat that in most cases still has tons of life left in it because it was made right from the start. The big factor here, the depreciation on these boats is non existent if kept up right. The older boats are giving folks who never could buy a boat the real chance to get into something that still is top of the line, and without the overburden of significant value depreciation.

Perfect example of why we should all be pumped about a new boat... as long as it carries the right craftsmanship. Cause I may own one in about 7-10 years.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-30-2012, 6:30 AM Reply   
The depreciation of the older boats is virtually non existent because the cost of new boats has gone up every year at an alarming rate. I disagree that these new $90-100k boats (being produced by any manufacturer) don't or won't depreciate a TON in the first 3-5 years of ownership. One reason, and I may be wrong here, is that I just don't see prices continuing to escalate at the same rate over the next five years. I just don't know that, when interst rates start climbing back up, people will be able to afford to buy a wakeboat when the average price is $100k, instead of $75k.

This comment is not Nautique specific, but an observation as to the industry as a whole. I will agree that Nautiques hold their value better than most boats.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-30-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
The term "Changing the game" is about as cliche skulls on wraps, stripper poles, and the work 'sick!' - A good rider can throw down behind a bass boat, and conversely I could ride behind this Nautique or new XStar and still suck.

In the Sport Compact Car scene, a ricer is a person with a modified car thats all show, no go. What is that term in wakeboats - wally? All sorts of crap, and never leaves the sand bar?

I'm not saying it won't be a beautiful boat, I just think its silly to pretend that a boat of this caliber will have any impact at all on the sport. At least every like we ride on, I see big dollar boats anchored at the sand bar, while the riders killing it are behind older V and Direct Drives, I/Os, and anything else they can get a pull behind. Hell, the first person to pull a Tantrum behind our boat was a random kid that came up to us on the beach because he never rode behind an inboard and wanted a pull.

Just my opinion
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-30-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
but Ian you can't ignore the difference a good boat makes,
if you pair that kid's skill with a bigger wake, which means more time in the air and the opportunity to go bigger, that's when the magic really happens.

I ride behind an I/O in the ocean. and like you said, i'll take a pull on a jet ski, if it's the only thing that can tow me, but it is by no means ideal. I would love to have a 230 or x star and a flat lake. The only way to really see who's best is to have a level playing field. And while one can't blame their environment for their lack of skill, it shouldn't even have to be taken into consideration whether you can afford an 80k+ boat or not. And the only way to give the opportunity for everyone to reach their full potential is to be given every advantage possible.
AKA in an ideal world, we would all be riding behind perfect boats, and only then would we know our true skill level.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-30-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
In an ideal world I would have a time machine and go back to when I was 5 and sherd my buns off, get sponsored by a boat company and never have to worry about affording a 100k boat.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-30-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
^^^^^ Brett wish I had done the same except I would have just bought as much apple stock as I could in 96-97 when it was like 7 bucks a share.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-30-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
I am in no way bashing the new hull the wake is clearly huge and much like the new star and there will be a market for it.
this boat will add 180's and flips to tricks for sure.
BUT
yea an ass for every seat blah blah blah. whatever. yea you can get an old 210 or 205 v for like 20 grand. Now imagine whats gunna happen when axis a 20 and a22 and tige r20 and z1 come up used. theyre gunna be a newer boat with lower hours and a great wake for EVEN shorter money because they started cheaper and dont bear the nautique or mastercraft name, so thats why a cheaper boat is better for not only for those buying new but in the long run as well.

but again, this wake is only really going to change the game for the top 10% of wakeboarders who are gunna get the most of the wake. im not hating on the boat in anyway, i think its great theyre pushing the sport and making new tricks possible by creating a bigger wake.

another point just to stir the pot some more: what happens when smaller lakes start banning wakeboats because the wakes get too big and destroy residents docks sea walls etc... Its becoming a problem on my lake
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-30-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
I agree completely that the old model 210 and 205 are the biggest breakthroughs and the very game changers of our wakeboarding generation. Not this boat. Not anything currently being made, at least not yet. Jernberg says that *ish on the regular.

That was an extremely good point, above poster.

Last edited by boomshot; 03-30-2012 at 8:39 AM. Reason: Made a spelling mistake.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-30-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am in no way bashing the new hull the wake is clearly huge and much like the new star and there will be a market for it.
What market is that?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-30-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
What market is that?
The rich and the pro's/ am riders that need a giant wake.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
but Ian you can't ignore the difference a good boat makes,
...waiting for that Byerly video.

Quote:
I agree completely that the old model 210 and 205 are the biggest breakthroughs and the very game changers of our wakeboarding generation.
Honestly, this.... like all the others have said, if you could make a boat that is a re-birth of these hulls and have it at a price point that almost anyone could realistically justify... that would change the game in my opinion.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-30-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
Remember when half pipes on the mountain were 15ft. Now superpipes are 22ft. Double corked 12's versus 900's . Just sayin.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-30-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post

Honestly, this.... like all the others have said, if you could make a boat that is a re-birth of these hulls and have it at a price point that almost anyone could realistically justify... that would change the game in my opinion.
Agree and it is so crystal diamond gorilla glass clear in my opinion that THIS is the change in the game that already is happening and from a commercial standpoint could so obviosly be harnessed by a company if they had the vision to do so.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-30-2012, 9:48 AM Reply   
agreed! looks like a Tige'.........
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-30-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
Every time I read a comment like this it reminds me how lucky I am to own a boat that only the elite can afford?
Gee, I sure wish I could be elite like mhunter. Then I'd be happy...

Quote:
As for records I will stand on my previous statement .
Which records? Please be specific or we will never know if you were right.

Quote:
A few hacked pics does not make a wake boat . There is no evidence that is the boat to be unveiled tomorrow.
I have no issue with the boat pics. Just your baseless claims about a boat you know nothing about.

Quote:
If the new boat is not a game changer I will be the first to amend my statement . If it is a game changer will you do the same or will the hating just continue?
Game changer is a cliche that means nothing without specifics. Again, please tell us in a measurable way how it will change the game.

I am not hating on the boat. The price comment was in jest. What I'm "hating" are your wild claims about something you don't know anything about.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
Well said.

Interesting that nobody commented on my comment about the hull design. Something definitely different from the norm. So, I'm gonna start some rumors to make it interesting It could be the curve of the page, but the hull looks to swoop up in the rear, like a Tige design or something. Also, the prop shaft doesn't seem to come from the center of the hull. Single engine, twin screw?
Again, my comments ignored. I must be a dumb ass or something.... Making a bigger or more expensive boat is not a game changer. Completely redesigning the hull into something unrecognizable may be a game changer. So everyone stop ranting about price and looks and start talking about what they did that really may be a game changer. Study the pics.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       03-30-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
...waiting for that Byerly video..
Blammo! -> http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72377447193948

(edit) My Lord... Google Video absolutely minced my video of Mr. Byerly. It looks like crap but there it is.
Thanks compression :[

Last edited by juniorhawk; 03-30-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-30-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
DBC
Time will tell if my statements are true. Are you going the watch the simulcast of the unveiling?
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2012, 10:40 AM Reply   
Tuneman,
I see some difference there....I think you are on to something.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
You mean to tell me all you "Nautique insiders" didn't watch the pre unveiling this morning?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       03-30-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
Ehh. Nope. Huh?
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-30-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripr View Post
You mean to tell me all you "Nautique insiders" didn't watch the pre unveiling this morning?
This morning was for dealers only.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-30-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
DBC
Time will tell if my statements are true. Are you going the watch the simulcast of the unveiling?
Yes. I'm a sucker and will watch.

You sound like you know something. Why not tell us instead of teasing us?? That's what bugs me about you "insiders."

I hope they fix the interior... How's that for a complaint that's not price?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
DBC
What statements?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-30-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
I am not an insider . I do have a good relationship with my dealer and they have been pretty tight with info . Even if I did know I wouldn't tell out of respect to the company and the dealer. Its kinda like telling somebody that a surprise party is being held for them. Call me a Kool Aid drinker but after seeing what the 200 did for slalom skiing if CC says its a game changer that is good enough for me. Ill see you at the kickoff party in Buford GA on Sat..

DBC I like the interior in both mine and your boat.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-30-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
There is nothing revolutionary here, it's ugly like every Nautique and what the 200 did for Slalom!? Every slalom skier I know would much rather have a 94 Mastercraft.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-30-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckguy View Post
There is nothing revolutionary here, it's ugly like every Nautique and what the 200 did for Slalom!? Every slalom skier I know would much rather have a 94 Mastercraft.
That's just an uninformed troll response. The 200 has been very well received by that community. The 220 was not. The Sport 200 is not picking up yet. The 226 (old) bombed. I have a bad feeling about this one and I am 3 for 3.

For comparison's sake, the first time I saw the 236 (what is known now as the 230 was introduced first as the Crossover 236), I nearly creamed my jeans.

Not. Even. A. Hint. Of. Cream. In. These. Here. Jeans.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-30-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
There is definately something revolutionary here, a new word was created... Unvield
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-06-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:

People for years screamed about that with the sn2001. Then "standard" remade it a reality and as far as I know has been a total flop. I know it is a dd vs a vd, but what will it take to be "affordable" the 210 was a 50-60k boat + or - 10 years ago. With inflation, manufacturing costs and newer engines that will inevitably cost more, I don't see them being a price point boat anymore. The only cheaper cost is the hull mold is already in existence. That won't make the boat cheap enough to make a difference