Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       08-22-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
True, ronix is clean and simple. But almost too simple I find... To be honest there aren't many changes in graphics from year to year on the Ronix line. Hell the parks next year looks to be the same color scheme as the 2011 Ibex. And it's hard to say what's dated, no matter what board graphics change from year to year, and people will always know which year you have. But I guess there's a few ways you can call something "dated"
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-22-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
The parks this year is bright red. If anything it looks like last years one.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-23-2012, 4:51 AM Reply   
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2012, 6:31 AM Reply   
Not a huge fan of the O'brien graphics either...

my apologies to the 3 people who actually ride o'brien
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-23-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_vilfo View Post
Not a huge fan of the O'brien graphics either...

my apologies to the 3 people who actually ride o'brien
Haha...I dont want this to be taken personally. But I dont drive cars just bc they ride nice...they have to look good too. I think the obrien graphics look like a 13k brand new car with plastic hubcaps on it.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-23-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
I have actually done the plastic hubcaps thing. My old setup was ugly as hell, but it rode great. If I can have both, even better!
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-23-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
I think the new Byerly systems will be awesome. I've heard they have a few new innovations that improve upon the original Hyperlite design, and that Hyperlite refused to update their systems to match. I've seen Brenton Priestly killing it with this new System at O'dub for the past month or so.
Hey Hammer, What changes did Byerly make on the systems? Will the Hyperlite systems be the same as 2012? Any word on Hyperlite color options,etc. Thanks for the help.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-23-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Sorry, I'm not in deep enough to know those things. It's just a rumor that I heard from some local pros, so take it for what it's worth, but keep an eye out.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-23-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
Hammer, thanks for the info.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-23-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
I actually have not even looked at Obrien the last few years due to graphics etc. They keep putting out the same boards year after year with no big changes excluding the paradigm. I remember back in the day they were actually trying to come up with new stuff... like the vice or the natural etc. Shapiro's Demented series was pretty awesome too.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-23-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Pretty amazing how similar the graphics look on this board over a 5 year period.
Old     (Quinten1993)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-23-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
http://www.rideradarronix.com/2013ronixsneakpeak

Ronix 2013
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-23-2012, 10:21 AM Reply   
No Cell's from Ronix this year? Just saw those opened toe "Viva" boots
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-23-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
I think that catalog is missing some stuff since it does not have the Bill or William boards showing up yet
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-23-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Has anyone ridden the 12 parks? I like the looks of the 13 and was curious what the board is like.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-23-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by csswake3 View Post
No Cell's from Ronix this year? Just saw those opened toe "Viva" boots
According to chad via instagram, he's rocking the open toe viva boots this year. So no cells.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-23-2012, 7:11 PM Reply   
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-23-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for the vid J.B.! That's the Bruce right?
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-23-2012, 8:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_shima1 View Post
Thanks for the vid J.B.! That's the Bruce right?
ya its the bruce, im about to pull a pic of the contra off my phone
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-23-2012, 8:56 PM Reply   

Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2012, 8:59 PM Reply   
O'Brien has continued to create new and amazing wakeboards!

Check out the Format, Contra, Paradigm, The Bruce, Baker..these are all new shapes in the last 2 years and some of the best riding boards out there.

Take the blinders off and check out whats out there, or just stick to the gimmicks and flashy crap.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-23-2012, 9:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for the additional pics J.B., you got any of the Format?

Amen JJ!
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2012, 9:15 PM Reply   
whats the time bomb? looks frikin gnarly!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-23-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
The Bruce is a sweet ride, loose when flat, but holds an edge well when cutting and the semi-flex gives sweet pop!
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-23-2012, 10:32 PM Reply   
obrein is wack. def the bottom feeders of the kent group...
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       08-23-2012, 10:36 PM Reply   
^you ****in kidding me? Have you ever even ridden an O'Brien board other than maybe 6 years ago? And I'm absolutely lovin the look of the Contra next year! But still can't wait to give the Bruce and Fremont a go!
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-24-2012, 12:27 AM Reply   
Byerly gear released on facebook.

from Byerly Boards on Vimeo.

Australia hyperlite facebook release alot of boards and boots for hyperlite.
http://www.facebook.com/HyperliteNor...lite.australia
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-24-2012, 1:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakober View Post
O'Brien has continued to create new and amazing wakeboards!

Check out the Format, Contra, Paradigm, The Bruce, Baker..these are all new shapes in the last 2 years and some of the best riding boards out there.

Take the blinders off and check out whats out there, or just stick to the gimmicks and flashy crap.
No one said they dont work, just that they are visually weak. Also Obrien probably has the worst marketing team in the business. Not sure why they dont do more advertising. J.B., Andy N. and the rest of the riders do a really good job representing for there sponsor, but they arent getting any help from the company itself. I dont get caught up in gimmicks, but my eyes could use some blinders to avoid looking at those saved by the bell board graphics.
Old     (Scott7373)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-24-2012, 5:22 AM Reply   
Haha! What Tommy said x10.

Even if they ride better than any board out there, I still wouldn't spend the money on one. There’s a certain sense of pride you feel purchasing a board that can double as art work. I could imagine walking around with an Obrian board would feel like going on a date with a fat chick who has a really nice personality.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
Has anyone heard any info on the 2013 CTRL stuff?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-24-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
Hey Scott, fat chicks need lovin' too! LOL

But in all seriousness, I've seen so many people in my area buy setups just because they think it looks cool and not because it has the qualities they are looking for. They end up riding crappy and have to change to a different setup (maybe one that's not as flashy, but works well for their riding style). I think that's the point of jjakober's comment.

In the end, to each their own.

Have a great weekend of riding everyone!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2012, 10:09 AM Reply   
Thats exactly my point Ryan!

Time to hit the water :-)
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-24-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Never been a fan of RON1X's art direction..
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
Never heard of this company but some of this stuff looks pretty good. Here is the website.. http://vampirewake.com/

Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-24-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
Never heard of vampire, thanks for posting pics.
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
No idea if they can be bought here in the states but I was so excited to see something new I had to share!
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
Doing some more digging and ran across a video with some of their stuff..

Old     (garythedog)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-24-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
some of you obrien haters are ridiculous talking about how the boards need to look like a piece of art like pointed out look at the parks its the same damn board graphics five years in a row just different colors and id hardly call it a piece of art looks more like a billboard to me. i personally think the new Bruce and Contra looks sweet and love the fact Obrien in pushing new shapes instead of going off the same shape for half a decade.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-24-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
Im not calling my boards a piece of art or others but I'll be damn to wear an ugly pair of glasses no matter how comfy they are. Everyone has different taste...
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-24-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
Not an Obrien hater per say, just not a fan of there graphics. Never said they arent good riding boards. But not many people will know how good they ride cuz unfortunately graphics are what catch your eye and get u interested in the board in the first place.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-24-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
In regards to O'Brien graphics: I think O'Brien is hit or miss. Sometimes they slam them out of the park; the houndstoooth Natural is still probably my favorite board graphic ever. But sometimes they fall really flat, like with this year's Decade. The saddest thing about the Decade graphics being so poor is that it is an unbelievably good board in every aspect (save the fact it doesn't flex if you prefer that). Two other riders in my regular group now ride the Decade besides myself. I don't know how much say Watkins has in his graphics but someone at O'Brien needs to stop the pain with the Decade. First year was terrible, second and third were good, fourth was okay and this year is

Otherwise I rather like a lot of O'Briens graphics.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to spend a lot of money on something that doesn't look that good.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-24-2012, 6:21 PM Reply   
2013 isnt a real solid year for board graphics.. there are a few select byerly graphics that are looking real good and lf's new slab deck is looking pretty dope...

HL stuff isnt lookin so hot and they still havent changed that damn system binding yet.

Overall in my opinion LF has the best overall graphics for 2013 model year.
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-24-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
Interesting binding inserts on the Vampire Boards, also pretty cool they have a 2 year warranty
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-24-2012, 9:34 PM Reply   
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-25-2012, 12:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek View Post
2013 isnt a real solid year for board graphics.. there are a few select byerly graphics that are looking real good and lf's new slab deck is looking pretty dope...

HL stuff isnt lookin so hot and they still havent changed that damn system binding yet.

Overall in my opinion LF has the best overall graphics for 2013 model year.
It's been going that way for years. Generalising here, but compare the markets 2000-2002 line up of board graphics with what we've had for the past couple years.
I have a 2000 Belmont on my wall, cause that thing is a work of art.... nowadays it's just mostly bold clashing colours with some lines drawn through and some "funky" fonts, trying to make it ascetically pleasing to the masses..... which it might be, but is also very boring. Like they only have a certain set of design options and just change the colour and the order they're put together.... but that's what sells.

This is the reason I appreciate what Slingshot tried of the past couple years with actually producing some sort of art with their boards. (no idea why they dropped the ball with the reflex for 2013)
And remember the crazy hyperlite b-side.... that was art.... but way too opinionated so they've gone safe with incredible simple graphics since then (granted Webbs 2013 board does look awesome.... shape and graphic).

This is why my boards always end up as a mess of spray paint and sharpie scribbles.
For me it's all about the ride but it would be cool to have decent graphics back.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-25-2012, 6:09 AM Reply   
i actually went with the 2012 recoil because i preferred the graphic to the 2013 which is alittle cheesy psychadellic. end of season discount didnt hurt either ....

yeah the reflex looks like a recent hyperlite tribute graphic.

obrien needs to look back in the archives when the half nelson and double ender were around. they dont look bad but a bit too much like they're following liquid force.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-25-2012, 7:41 AM Reply   
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-25-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Damn JB, THOSE are how O'briens SHOULD look. Awesome!
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       08-25-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
Wow the Baker is the best looking board I've seen out of any lineup!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-25-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
The 2013 Liquid Force SLAB Hypbrid. Another new board for the LF lineup.

All NEW for 2013, the Slab is built to get everyone into the rail riding game! It’s an all wood core board that provides a stiff, yet snappy flex to pop off flat water with ease. With a durable nylon base and a rounded Liquid Rail, the Slab offers just enough forgiveness to prevent the hard slams that are inevitable as you progress your way up the jibbing ranks! Whether it’s your park and boat board or simply your rail riding quiver board, the SLAB is ready to get you going!

CNC Milled Wood Core
Computer-milled for the perfect hull shape… all wood for maximum strength and flex

Nylon Base
A value priced option for durability.

Center Concave
Concave softens landing and maintains speed.

Rounded Liquid Rail Sidewall
Our elastomeric edges give you a rail with unsurpassed durability. The Liquid Rail will keep your ride together for session after session and the newly rounded shape will ensure a forgiving ride.
Attached Images

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2012, 4:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Agreed both look amazing and the Baker is absolutely kiler looking! Wow!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-25-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
thanks man, i think most of them look really good... the few that people were hating on really look alot better in person. all the boards are super sleek and look really good from the boat when someones riding, everything just really pops!

the Bruce Contra Baker Valhalla and Paradigm are my favorites they all looked awesome when i first saw them... also the ladies boards, skyla and vixen look super good i almost want to ride one lol
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-26-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
JB, What shapes are the Skyla and Vixen in the men's boards? I'm going to be getting a setup for my fiance. Unless Chris Johnson goes elsewhere I doubt I'll ever buy a board that's not an O'Brien.

Also, which O'Brien boots are stiffest?

jjakober, what shape are you currently riding?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-26-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
Not to hijack your question to J.B. but the Skyla is the Coda shape and the Vixen use to be the Clutch shape but I heard the Clutch is no longer in the line up for 2013 so I'm not sure if the shape has changed.

As for the stiffest boot, I think last year it was the Seeker but I haven't seen any info on the 2013 boots yet so not sure if there's any changes/additions coming into their line up.

Can't wait to see more of the 2013 product from Obrien.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-26-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
^^^^ correct

and the seekers are called something else for 2013, i think they are called the GTX, i forgot, but the velcro is removable and can be replaced with strings, whichever you prefer, and the nomads have 2 different color options
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-26-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
I originally hated the Colorway of the 2013 Harley boot .... Until I saw it on the BOB grind. Those two teamed up together look soooo good

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-26-2012, 9:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
^^^^ correct

and the seekers are called something else for 2013, i think they are called the GTX, i forgot, but the velcro is removable and can be replaced with strings, whichever you prefer, and the nomads have 2 different color options
its about time someone else got on the replaceable straps wagon!!! having a choice of laces or straps or i guess both is a nice addition too. pretty kool. hopefully other companies will finally follow. i mean velcro straps on high end boots have only been popular and generally accepted for over 5 years.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-27-2012, 6:21 AM Reply   
Got a chance to demo the 2013 LF line this weekend at TSR. I was really impressed with their stuff. Loved the new Shane binding.
Attached Images

Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-27-2012, 6:32 AM Reply   
Nauti 210- how did the boot feel? Been really thinking about giving LF boots another go around and I like a a boot that is supportive and flexible. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-27-2012, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
Got a chance to demo the 2013 LF line this weekend at TSR. I was really impressed with their stuff. Loved the new Shane binding.
Any different from 2012?? I hate my '12 Shanes.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-27-2012, 7:05 AM Reply   
I am the same way, I like a boot that will flex, but is supportive. The Shane's (black and green on the BOB grind) were awesome. They had lower laces and holes for uppers, but none in there, 1 single thick velcro for the ankle strap and felt perfect to me. The Harley's are a really good feeling boot as well. FWIW I ride the 2012 Murray system boots right now (much stiffer) and am considering a switch myself.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
JB, What shapes are the Skyla and Vixen in the men's boards? I'm going to be getting a setup for my fiance. Unless Chris Johnson goes elsewhere I doubt I'll ever buy a board that's not an O'Brien.

Also, which O'Brien boots are stiffest?

jjakober, what shape are you currently riding?
Josh, I was rocking the Format for the last few years, but just got my hands on The Bruce and I am really loving it.

It's stiffer then most Flex boards but still has flex in the tip and tail which seems to help get me a bit more pop. Not only that, but I must say, the graphics kick ass ;-)

The real bamboo top sheet like what you see in the Baker is such a cool look.

Also someone mentioned O'Brien not making new shapes and how much they liked the Natural & Demented. Well the same guy that designed those kick ass boards (Chris Johnson) is still hard at it making new and even better shapes! The Format has to be one of the best riding boards out there. I have yet to have someone ride it and not come away with a new found appreciation for O'Brien. The Contra, Baker, Bruce, Paradigm are all pretty new shapes and worth checking out if you get the chance.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
The new Slingshot RAD boots not only have gone to a traditional criss-cross style of lacing, but there is an addition of some deeper anchor point for the laces to suck the heel into the boot. an "integrated HHD Heel-Hold Down system."
http://ride.slingshotsports.com/2013...category=41765
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
anyone have any pics of the bottome contours or profile pics of these obriens? Its hard to get any idea from the pictures posted
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
another of contra
Old     (kme3113)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2012, 4:14 PM Reply   
What is the obrien flex board? Is the paradigm the most flex in their lineup?
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-27-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
Baker graphics are a copy of 2012 Watson hybrid.
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       08-27-2012, 5:47 PM Reply   
How the hell is it a copy...? Look at the Watson hybrid then look at the Baker. The only thing alike is the wood grain on it.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2012, 6:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kme3113 View Post
What is the obrien flex board? Is the paradigm the most flex in their lineup?
paradigm and fremont are the flexiest models

the baker has flex and molded fins

the bruce has a small amount of flex good for boat and cable
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2012, 7:28 PM Reply   
ennen carvin on the baker

Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
GTX / seeker boots ^^^^
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-27-2012, 7:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
ennen carvin on the baker

Wasnt sure if he was trying for the Murray pose or not

Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-27-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post
How the hell is it a copy...? Look at the Watson hybrid then look at the Baker. The only thing alike is the wood grain on it.
2013 Obrien Baker

2012 LF Watson Hybrid

Put some glasses on and take a look....

-Wood grain
-EXACT same colors on top deck(white/red/blue/black)
-Similar colors on base

Doesn't matter really because I would never own one.

Last edited by beretta5spd; 08-27-2012 at 8:31 PM.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2012, 9:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta5spd View Post
2013 Obrien Baker

2012 LF Watson Hybrid

Put some glasses on and take a look....

-Wood grain
-EXACT same colors on top deck(white/red/blue/black)
-Similar colors on base

Doesn't matter really because I would never own one.
I want what you are smoking...
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-27-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
ahaha^^^
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-27-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
It's damn near impossible to come up with a completely unique graphic (especially colorwise) after nearly 20 years of board designs.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-27-2012, 10:09 PM Reply   
this thread is right full of obrien cowbell haha.

obrien can keep rocking center removable fins like yesteryear and take design cues from last year models from other brands for the baker.....

and I still won't be interested.

Good try 2013 I'll check back in another year.
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2012, 1:13 AM Reply   
Seems like there will be no more 145 Kine, 145 Newton and 146 Hook in 2013.
http://ride.slingshotsports.com/2013...category=41775
http://ride.slingshotsports.com/2013...category=41774
http://ride.slingshotsports.com/2013...category=41773
That would be (s**t) a pitty.

Last edited by waketac; 08-28-2012 at 1:17 AM.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-28-2012, 2:44 AM Reply   
Im not on that obrien cowbell by any means. Ive been critical of there graphics. I just dont agree 100% with the comparison to the Watson.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
This thread needs more CowBell so I give you The Bruce!