Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
Check out the latest way to surf.
http://www.break.com/index/dynamite_surfing.html

Hey Ed,

Do you think they would allow this on the Scioto River?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-08-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
That video is unbelievable. I woudn't want to know what the blast did to the fish or neighbors.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-08-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
That was sick!
Old    surfdad            02-08-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
That's so crazy - Dennis, will you call out that wave for me? :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-08-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
This is my second year planning Wakefest, a lot of things are going together so much easier now that I've done it once. Meeting city requirements however, is still challenging. I want to tell the city that wakefest is really cool so the city should let us do A, B, and C, but it's not that simple. I should put in explosive ordnance in my event plan to see if they pick up on it.

I saw that post on the wakeboard forum. Early in the clip they show three sticks taped together. Wikipedia says that a typical stick is 8 inches by 1 inch, another common size is 2 by 16 inches. Those sticks looked larger than 1X8. I found references for the weight of a 2X16 stick ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 pounds each. That not too much to throw, the lighter 1.5 pound stick might float, the heavier 2.5 stick should sink. A deep sinking charge should make a bigger wave, right? Hmmm, I better stop spending so much time looking in to this, might end up on a watch list.

I'd love to see myth busters test the concept.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-08-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
Jeff,
When you hear the boom start paddling. Simple
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
If we could just send surf boards to Iraq then they might use up their car bomb and IED ordnance on surfing.

Doesn't Land locked surfing make the world a better palace, that's all I'm trying to say.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-09-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Holy crap that was incredible...who come up with this stuff?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
The children of coal miners?
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2007, 5:44 AM Reply   
Bad as hell!
Old    surfdad            02-10-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
Did anyone read the comments on the site? That the video is fake, the water is only 1.5 m deep and was created for Quiksilver's fashion week? I still love the concept even if it turns out to be nonsense. :-) Is it possible to create a wave through an explosion like that? Does anyone have any ordinace experience?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-10-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
There's a Navy explosive shock test, they basically mount equipment on a barge and detonate an under water charge. I haven't personally witnessed this test. The explosive charge is pretty big and really rocks the barge, I bet that would be a big enough explosion to create a wave. It would suck if you didn't catch the wave, you'd have to plant and set off another charge.

These people might know: http://www.algor.com/news_pub/cust_app/Huber_DDAM/default.asp
Read the first paragraph to get a feel for the shock test, also see the photograph.

Or these guys might know, the Brits are supposed to be pretty good with explosives: http://www.marine.gov.uk/explosive_shock_test.htm

All of the photos show a pretty good vertical plume but no wave. I think if you took the picture after the plume fell then you might have a wave. Would that wave be big enough to ride and would it have a lip like the video I don’t know.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2007, 6:13 AM Reply   
video is simply fake, computer composition for QS advertizing

and trying this for real is stupid in 2 ways - extremly dangerous to you and for sure you kill everything under water.
Ask Surfrider foundation what they think :/
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-11-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
But what if you did it in the Dead Sea?

I absolutely agree with you, this is far too dangerous to attempt. I'll I need is a boat to surf, that's much safer.
Old    surfdad            02-11-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
I think we all argee it's a dangerous concept, but I was intriqued with the potential of the force. We normally push DOWN with weighted boats, but if the wave could be created with a force going UP and OUT - I may be totally off base, but it seems that the force from the explosion was in a different - what is direction the correct term? There is that one surfpark that I think Alan Bogdanoff asked about where the wave is created by dragging a wave shaped device through the water. Ed, you're the engineering genius, is ballasting a boat seriously inefficent? Is it possible to form a s'wake that is larger, longer and better formed that doesn't rely on the shape of the hull that was designed principally to minimize wake height?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-11-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
That’s a really complex problem and a little out of my field, but I’ll make a few conjectures anyway.

I don’t think an explosion would be especially efficient, sure you don’t have to move a tow boat, but you might have to move a lot more water than you would with a boat. You're also moving water with a compressible gas, that makes the problem difficult. A poorly placed charge might send a lot of the force up, not out. The energy for the explosion would decrease with the radius, I think decreasing as the square of the radius. Unless you had a very specially shaped bottom surface wave would dissipate fairly quickly

There are a series of small controlled explosions in each cylinder of your engine, you use that energy to propel your boat, and IC engines are a fairly efficient way to move your boat and generate a surfing wake. The level and energy of that wave is very consistent, relatively easy to make, and safe.

I think those amusement park surf set ups may be more efficient. In these setups a sheet of water is pumped over a fixed wave form. I’d say that an 8 to 12 foot wide form would be the minimum width for an interesting ride. So you’d need to know how much energy it takes to push a sheet of water of the form then compare that energy demand to the power required by a surf wake generating boat.

Free is best. Ocean waves have huge push, generated over miles and miles, and don’t cost a dime. My problem is that the ocean is too far away. Event with global warming I don’t expect to live near a surfable ocean wave anytime soon.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
Next adepts for Darwin prize

---
Yea that wave created by dragging shape is some idea from www.waveloch.com/flash/index.htm called Moving Reef.

Concept of creating sleek barrel wave with serial blasts of huge water guns www.vagabondsurf.com/WaveCannons.html
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/bown/2003/article/0,18881,537103,00.html

and look what new at Florida Ron Jons
http://www.twsbiz.com/twbiz/features/article/0,21214,1572522,00.html
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
Surf park from Florida is probably most energy saving system - Versa Reef
http://www.aquaticgroup.com/media/pdf/WaveTek%20Surf%20Pools.pdf
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-11-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
Holy crap that is freaking awesome.