Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    wake_and_bake            05-03-2006, 11:16 PM Reply   
i built a tower for my 1985 2001 and i think i over did it. i used 2in schedule 40 steel pipe and 1/4in plate to mount it. does anyone think this tower is to heavy or will be a problem. also should i put rubber between the mount plate and hull and i need a cheap tow ball to mount any advise or ideas would be helpful
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-04-2006, 6:06 AM Reply   
Hey, Depending on how tall it is I think it will be fine, if to tall I could possibly see a problem with "roll" when a rider cuts out into the flats, other than that the weight should add to the ballast! I would strongly recommend rubber or some kind of wear material between the deck and tower. Someone sells a replacement ball for towers, that you could uss(sorry don't have access to it here) but you could probably just use a truck/trailer tow ball until you find something else you like. Got any pics?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-04-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
I think you will be fine but I would definetly put some rubber between the feet and the boat and also use as big of a backing plate as you can.
I am building a tower as well I made my towpoint by welding a round ring to the top of a piece of pipe. It is hard to explain but I took round stock and bent it around a pipe untill it fit around the top of my pipe then welded it from the top.

How are you going to finish it to prevent rusting. That was my biggest fear with using steel pipe. That is why I am using stainless.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-04-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
For you do it yourselfers check out Pyramid manufacturing on ebay I don't know how to attach a link sorry. He has the tow ball and all the fittings made from Aluminum I believe. This would make your life easy if you had you aluminum tube bent then just weld in his parts. I am no way affiliated with them just trying to help as I made a tower years ago for my old boat.

Good Luck
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-04-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
I think that I emailed that guy. He will only sell packages of the entire kit and not sigle pieces.
If you go to the monster tower website they have a replacement tow point for their tower. I believe the Monster tower is 2 1/2" but it could work. monstertower.com