Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-28-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
Hey guys I would appreciate some feedback on some boards.

Currently Im riding a 2012 Ronix One and I love it, its fast and floaty but I feel at this stage of my riding career I cant use the board to its potential. I have a hard time getting the board on edge when going W2W.

I use to ride a 138 Hyperlite Premier and while that board was heavy it was locked in and i loved how easy it transitioned edge to edge.

Im 5"10' 180 lbs. My One is a 142

I was looking at the following:

2013 LF Witness
2013 Hyperlite Marek
2013 LF Harley

Im looking for a board that is more locked in, transitions edge to edge easily and consistent pop, not as abrupt

Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks for your feedback
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-28-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
My friend who has been riding the One for a long time just switched over to a Byerly Blunt and says it's the best board he's ridden. At one point he switched from the One to an S4 and back to the One. That's his board history as far as I know it, which is only a few years.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-28-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
I think the Hyperlite Franchise does all that you are looking for. The only thing is that it is not very locked in, but could be with a little larger fins. The board is very edgy and transitions very quickly from edge to edge. It is a large continuous rocker but keeps its speed well and pops incredibly.

I'll admit its what I ride, but I love the shape so much I try and get as many people on it as possible. It really is a sweet ride.
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-28-2013, 9:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
I think the Hyperlite Franchise does all that you are looking for. The only thing is that it is not very locked in, but could be with a little larger fins. The board is very edgy and transitions very quickly from edge to edge. It is a large continuous rocker but keeps its speed well and pops incredibly.

I'll admit its what I ride, but I love the shape so much I try and get as many people on it as possible. It really is a sweet ride.
Is this the only hyperlite you have ridden? Ill take a look at the franchise too
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-28-2013, 10:02 AM Reply   
Nope, I've ridden the entire line with the exception of the Process. If I wasn't on the Franchise I would ride the Byerly AR1, but its even looser than the Franchise.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-28-2013, 11:27 AM Reply   
If you get a chance to ride the Harley, do it. I have had multiple compliments from friends that have rode mine. It is lose when you want it to be and locks in when transitioning to the edge.
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-28-2013, 12:06 PM Reply   
Id like to try the harley. Im interested in either that or the witness. If anyone has feedback from both of those that would be awesome
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-28-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
Rode the Witness for about 4 years, loved it. Great controllable speed, predictable solid pop. Riding the Harley this year, it's fast and rides high in the water. The pop is similar to Witness, not bucking like you may be accustomed to from the One, but higher arching than the Witness. My only complaint with the Harley, is that it can be too fast, creating too much line tension. Not necessarily a bad thing, but It's also kind of heavy, and very buoyant (hard to get it back under you when floating in the water).

I would say you can't go wrong with either one, but the Witness would be more forgiving to progress on.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-28-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
Gonna toss out a suggestion to check out the 2012 or 2013 Marek as well. It is similar to the franchise (which I love, btw) but its a little bit more locked in cuz of the larger fins, and changes from edge to edge a little bit quicker (two of the things you mentioned you were looking for in a board) but the differences in these areas arent huge, between the Marek and Franchise. both have super solid pop without being overly bucky, even off of steep wakes.

I chose the franchise because i found it to be a little bit smoother and more consistent overall. but both are very fun boards for sure and definitely worth checking out.
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-28-2013, 2:39 PM Reply   
i appreacite all the feedback everyone! yea right now I have it between the harley, witness, and marek.
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-28-2013, 2:53 PM Reply   
If I get the harley should I get the 139 or 143?

Im 180

The website says the 139 is 130-210 and 143 is 150-250
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-28-2013, 3:02 PM Reply   
go with the 143, i am a little heavier by 10 lbs than you and i rode the 139 harley my landings were kinda harsh, the larger board will give you more surface area and stability all around for landings and chop, i am riding a 142 franchise and LOVE it, rode the harley, BSide and one and the franchise is my fav board right now
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-28-2013, 5:23 PM Reply   
If you get a chance check out the Byerly Conspiracy. I left the 2012 Ronix One for the same reasons as you. I've been on the 2012 Conspiracy 56" (142cm) since the end of the season last year and haven't even thought of switching boards yet.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-29-2013, 1:38 PM Reply   
I'm 185, 6'0", I rode a 140 Witness, and now a 139 Harley. The Harley is a fast, shallow riding board already. I don't think the extra surface area would be needed. However, it's a personal preference, but a 143 would feel huge to me.
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-29-2013, 2:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_young View Post
I'm 185, 6'0", I rode a 140 Witness, and now a 139 Harley. The Harley is a fast, shallow riding board already. I don't think the extra surface area would be needed. However, it's a personal preference, but a 143 would feel huge to me.
Yea my 142 one feels pretty big and i felt comfortable on my 138 premier, just felt like I was sunk alot. I think i might go with the 139.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-29-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
I suggest the 143. I think you will like it being larger considering it floats higher on the water. Either way you go about it, I don't think you will have any complaints about the board.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-29-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
any reason you aren't taking a look at one of the other Ronix boards? You said you love your one but want something that edges better. Why not look at the Code 22, William or the Viva?
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-29-2013, 7:57 PM Reply   
I would look at the other ronix boards too. I just hadn't heard such positive reviews as I had with liquid force Harley.

I'm open to suggestions to the ronix line too
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2013, 4:45 AM Reply   
I've owned and ridden many boards over the past few years, but in the last 2 it has been the: Harley, Harley Grind, S4, Watson Pro, Watson Classic, Watson Hybrid, Ronix One, Ronix One Timebomb, Ronix Code22.

Between Liquid Force and Ronix, I'd say that the Code22 has the most similar feel to the Harley (it's hard for me to find differences between the Harley, Watson and S4...they all feel the same to me). Both have very consistent pop and are fast. To me, it feels like the Code22 is "easier" to ride than the One. Could just be that it's a new year of riding for me, but I feel like I've been taking tricks bigger and with more consistency on the Code22.

Hope this helps in some way.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-30-2013, 5:02 AM Reply   
I have experience behind the Harley and Watson Classic. The Harley is definitely faster with a little looser feeling in the flats. Both are fun boards though.
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-30-2013, 6:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
I've owned and ridden many boards over the past few years, but in the last 2 it has been the: Harley, Harley Grind, S4, Watson Pro, Watson Classic, Watson Hybrid, Ronix One, Ronix One Timebomb, Ronix Code22.

Between Liquid Force and Ronix, I'd say that the Code22 has the most similar feel to the Harley (it's hard for me to find differences between the Harley, Watson and S4...they all feel the same to me). Both have very consistent pop and are fast. To me, it feels like the Code22 is "easier" to ride than the One. Could just be that it's a new year of riding for me, but I feel like I've been taking tricks bigger and with more consistency on the Code22.

Hope this helps in some way.
Thanks Jay and yes it does! Ive always admired your boat build threads too!

So if you were to pick between a new halrey and a code22 based on your experience, which one would you choose now?
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-30-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
I have experience behind the Harley and Watson Classic. The Harley is definitely faster with a little looser feeling in the flats. Both are fun boards though.
Which board do you like better? Was the watson more locked in, easier to transition edge to edge?

Liquid force rates the watson as looser than the harley.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2013, 7:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2g4u View Post
Thanks Jay and yes it does! Ive always admired your boat build threads too!

So if you were to pick between a new halrey and a code22 based on your experience, which one would you choose now?
Right now I'd have to say the Code22, but that is based on my needs. It's built like a rock. I went through multiple Harley's, and just got sick of having to replace them every couple of weeks. As far as the feel and ridability, I don't think you can go wrong with either board, in my opinion.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-30-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Which board do you like better? Was the watson more locked in, easier to transition edge to edge?

Liquid force rates the watson as looser than the harley.
My reply is based on the Watson Classic, which is what the Harley board was modeled after. The Watson Classic felt more locked in, both edged about the same. The Harley is lighter and floats higher in the water.

I am not quite as abbusive to boards as Jay. I haven't had any problems out of my Harley. I have no experience with the Ronix so I can't comment on it.

As far as price goes.

2013 Ronix Code 22: $570
2013 LF Harley: $400
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-30-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
Right now I'd have to say the Code22, but that is based on my needs. It's built like a rock. I went through multiple Harley's, and just got sick of having to replace them every couple of weeks. As far as the feel and ridability, I don't think you can go wrong with either board, in my opinion.
Thanks Jay! I never thought i would get rid of the one, but the inconsistency in my riding has got me bugged.

What size Code 22 do you ride? Im 180 5'10" and was thinking the 142
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-30-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
My reply is based on the Watson Classic, which is what the Harley board was modeled after. The Watson Classic felt more locked in, both edged about the same. The Harley is lighter and floats higher in the water.

I am not quite as abbusive to boards as Jay. I haven't had any problems out of my Harley. I have no experience with the Ronix so I can't comment on it.

As far as price goes.

2013 Ronix Code 22: $570
2013 LF Harley: $400
I know I can get a combo harley or watson package for the same price as the code 22
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-30-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
I went from a one to slingshot kine... I am NEVER going back... Same pop more speed, better landings better control better board... Take a look there
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-30-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
I went from a one to slingshot kine... I am NEVER going back... Same pop more speed, better landings better control better board... Take a look there
I plan to test ride one this summer for a weekend. Is the Kine the best for behind a boat?
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-30-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Simplej, how is edging on a slingshot? They look to have no bottom feaures so it seems they would be loose on the water with little control?
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-30-2013, 10:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks Jay! I never thought i would get rid of the one, but the inconsistency in my riding has got me bugged.

What size Code 22 do you ride? Im 180 5'10" and was thinking the 142
I ride the 143. I'm 5'11", 200 pounds.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-30-2013, 12:52 PM Reply   
To answer both your questions, in my opinion the kine is the best behind the boat due to its thicker rail, i felt it had the cleanest release vs response and recoil but they had similar characteristics. Edging is not "hard" BUT with that being said you need to make the board work for you. My one used to carve me in like it was on a rail, te difference now is tha I carve the kine in like its on rails, catch my drift? I have literally nothing negative to say about it... Except maybe the fast track doesn't hold bindings as tight... Umm yea but besides that it's perfect for me. In my riding I like to emphasize board control, board feel, and style, and it fits me here. It is loose but you honestly get used to it quickly. It lands very soft, pops very hard, and rides amoothly, I've ridden many many boards and this is my favorite by miles.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-30-2013, 3:29 PM Reply   
Rent a slingshot before buying. It isnt for everyone. I tried a flex board last summer and I enjoyed it. It was the LF Shane Hybrid. It is a playful board. It definitely got me interested in slingshot. I plan to rent one soon. Till then, i will keep enjoying my Harley.
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-31-2013, 6:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Rent a slingshot before buying. It isnt for everyone. I tried a flex board last summer and I enjoyed it. It was the LF Shane Hybrid. It is a playful board. It definitely got me interested in slingshot. I plan to rent one soon. Till then, i will keep enjoying my Harley.
What size harley do you ride tim? I cant decide between the 139 and 143
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-31-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
The Harley has the most aggressive 3 stage of any Lf board and bucks more than the one. I have ridden all the boards you were asking about. I have ridden the marek since they changed the design last year and it is exactly what you are describing to a t. It's very quick on edges and pretty grippy on edge but breaks free easier than the one when still. And the pop is very big but consistent as it is an abrupt continuous rocker. I would say if you are looking for consistency in pop a board that leans more continuous would be preferable to an aggressive 3 stage...
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-31-2013, 1:29 PM Reply   
Well Im going to look at boards this afternoon. Ill let everyone know what I come home with. Thanks for all the feedback!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-01-2013, 5:44 AM Reply   
I think you should get the 143 if you get the Harley. I am 5'9 an 225lbs. However, multiple friends of mine ride it and they are your height and weight.
Old     (Fx4210)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-01-2013, 6:40 AM Reply   
Just got the 143. I'm 5'9" 200#'s
Old     (2g4u)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-03-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
Well I ended up with a Harley 139 with the 10-12 boots. Picked her up at Sun and Ski and if you dont like the ride you can switch to any other board they carry which is the full line of liquid force and hyperlite. I rode it yesterday and love the board so far. Its locked in going to the wake but im also able to break it free for butter slides and on the wake too. Ill post pics later!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-03-2013, 7:58 AM Reply   
I am glad you enjoy it. Thanks for responding on what you decided to go with.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-03-2013, 3:56 PM Reply   
It sounds like inconsistency is really the core of your displeasure with the One? If so, I'd lean towards a board with closer to a continuous rocker. Three stage rockers present a different view to the wake if you come in at slightly different angles making the pop more varied while continuous rockers present closer to the same view to the wake... More predictable pop. Think of bouncing a football or soccer ball off the ground. A football is like a three stage and it will bounce differently with small variations in the angle y throw it down. A soccer ball is the continuous rocker and presents the same angle to the ground/wake no matter how it hits so is predictable how it bounces. I don't follow all the board models, but I think many of the slingshot models have continuous rockers and I've read good things about them. Vaguely recall the Marek which others have recommended to you being a hybrid or near continuous rocker and might do well for you as well.