Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
I have always used teak oil. Saw a couple of the ski club boats in the area and they used like a sealer/stain on it. I am not sure on the difference of either so sorry for the confusion, but it looked sharp. A couple even looked like they put something gritty in there so they didn't slip so much.

Anybody ever do this... or recommend it? What did you use? Just curious as it looked very clean and they said that they only have to redo it once every two or so yrs. I am thinking of going fiberglass, but just thought I would ask around about this before I dump the $$ With 2 little ones and a 24/7 job these days time is limited so would rather spend it on the water than teaking :-)
Old     (hk308)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
Try this out http://www.allguardproducts.com/
TeakGuard and TeakGuard super cleaner

Second season after first time application and it looks like the first day applied!

All I have done is wipe the step off with a wet towel and dry....teak has never been this easy.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-05-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Lots of times sealers are more slippery than an oiled wood but I don't know what those products are like. I've always just oiled the teak and it's been good.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-05-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
Thompsons Water seal for mine. looks better than new, so I did all the wood on boat w/ it, & no sign of slipage.
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-06-2007, 4:39 AM Reply   
I bought my new boat last year after it had been on a lot for two years (long story). The teak was almost white it was so gray. I was thinking about negotiating with the dealer about a new deck (I'd never had an inboard towboat before; such a newb!). Anyway, I bought one of those 3-step systems at Bass pro shop (don't remember the brand). Since mine had weathered so much, I first applied step 1 (stripper/cleaner?). I then got out my electric palm sander and smoothed out some high spots and highly weathered areas. I then applied step 2 (brightener?), and then the teak oil (step 3)...lots of teak oil! It was a VERY easy process. After a few uses of the boat last season, I "slopped" on a bunch more teak oil, and applied one more coat (so simple; use a rag or sponge)) for winter. This season, I applied more before we took it out for the first time. I still probably have a third of the can of teak oil remaining. All we do is wipe it dry each time we use the boat (once out of the water, of course!). I'm amazed that it still looks like a brand new deck. I prefer the look of it over the new fiberglass decks, and I don't have to worry about a board fin chipping the edge of the fiberglass deck. Hope that helps.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-06-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Olympic Natural Stain... Only requires maintenance about once a year...

Upload
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-06-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
I just had Linex put on my teak deck. I like it so far. Not slippery, but not rough, no maintenance, it's black so it matches my boat. Another option to think about. It was about $150.

Plus, might be cheaper than getting a new fiberglass deck.

(Message edited by regalado1 on July 06, 2007)
Old     (wakemaniac69)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-08-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
1980 Ski Nautique Swim Deck Refurb. This deck was the original and had some mold development on it. I removed the deck, disassembled it, used a belt sander with 50 Grit paper and cleaned everything up. I rubbed it down with Boiled Linseed Oil, two(2) coats and it looks like brand new. I refinished all of the teak trim on this boat and it looks fantastic.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2007, 10:14 PM Reply   
I use SeaFin Teak oil. Works great. Just sand it smooth before you apply and then paint it on with a brush. It's a once a season thing for me and it looks great.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-08-2007, 11:06 PM Reply   
Hippo liner... Used less than half a tin! Rolled on.. simple.. and bullet proof!

Upload