Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
what do you guys think about this boat http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/305457186.html

I already know 2001 have a good wake
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-12-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
It looks really nice to me. It says new manifolds but if you talk to him make sure he also replaced the risers. (If not, see if he'll lower the price.) Feel around for soft spots in the floor and look for mold. My boat is at 1000 hours and running strong so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
sorry I am sure this is a stupid question but what are risers
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-12-2007, 6:09 PM Reply   
Looks like a great boat. I would check for soft spot's also, but if he replaced the carpet I would think he would have replace the decking, ask for any records from servicing he may have done and make a call.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
thats pretty clean for an 84. with 1000 hours, it is probably due for a rebuild. I would check compression,oil, and tranny fluids.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-12-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
Not a stupid question at all. I didn't know and am still learning what all the parts are. The risers "rise" off the manifolds. You have the block and bolted to that are the manifolds and bolted to that are the risers and then the exhaust hose clamps to the risers.
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
thanks
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-12-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
I ride behind an 88 ski nautique with over 1100 hours on it and it runs perfect. The 2001 is a sick boat and that one looks like it is in good shape.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-12-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
Dude, I have an 83 with 1300 hours. Still runs strong with 800lbs and 6 people. I am gonna rebuild this summer just for the fun of it.

That guy looks like he took care of it somewhat.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-12-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
I have the 84 and love it. Look for soft spots esp. around the motor mounts, between the ice cooler and battery comp., and between the drivers seat and pasangers. Make sure the drivers base is attached well to the floor. Hopefully he used some type of silicone on all screws when he put the seats back in. Chech compression. The boat is strong as a ox. Put a monster tower on it and found how strong the underside of the side of the boat are because the installer told me that it was much thicker than other boats. Dude those boats are great. Not only are parts easy to get {except for the old manifold} , but i use about half the gas as the other newer boats. The lip of the wake is very predictable. I would throw in a perfect pass because the boats really does not hold speed too well with weight. That is a good price. If the boat is in as good as shape as it looks and the trailer is in good cond. it is worth about 12 grand. If there is no trailer gotta almost have a custom 2 axle built for about 4 grand. You can also probably find a old single axle for much cheaper and have it redone for about 12 hundred.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-13-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
I have been running 1500lbs and an average of 4 people in my boat for 7 summers. 1100 hours and still running strong. I am anal about the maintanance and upkeep. Get a 542 Acme prop and you will never hear a complaint about not enough wake.
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-13-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
thank you guys
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2007, 6:19 AM Reply   
my dad wont stop complaining about how old it is. He keeps telling my mom it is 30 years old but its only 20. thats my big obstacle for this boat
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-14-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
Ask you Dad what the last kind of airplane he flew in was. Chances are it's a 30+ year old design and has far more than 1000 hours on the engine.

Both my Dad and his friend, Guido, have had their 1988 Ski Nautiques (basically the same boat as the one you're looking at.) Either could have upgraded many times since they bought theirs. The dealership asked Guido if he wanted to trade it in for a newer Nautique. Guido told them, "Why do I want a new boat, I have the best boat in the world, my boat's perfect, there's nothing to upgrade to." Guido used to compete and has been in a lot of different and newer boats.