Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-16-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
I’ve had a few conversations with the management at Standley Lake and I wanted to check everyone’s interest in helping to get some things underway for the season. They are very open to “testing” a couple of ideas.

The first idea is to try and give people the best possible water conditions in one part of the lake by placing buoys along the south end of the lake from one end of the lake to the other (east / west). The general idea is that wakeboarders and water-skiers would travel along the buoys and turn or drop at each end. They would then return along the same path but on the other side of the buoys. (Back and forth).

This would direct most, if not all boats towing riders to travel in predictable patterns that create fewer rollers in that area. I say fewer, and not zero, because not everyone will drop at each end, and you will still have rollers from oncoming boats traveling on the other side of the buoys. This isn’t perfect but it’s a good start.

Management at the lake is willing to hand flyers out (at my expense) to every person entering the lake, explaining that this particular area would be designated for people towing/riding to help provide better water conditions. The flyer and people at the gate would also explain about the buoys, water courtesy, and the sliders. The entire rest of the lake would be for tubing, floating, fishing, etc. (Thankfully, the most popular fishing spots are on the other side of the lake.)

The second idea is install 2-3 sliders at the far west end of this line of buoys. (Obviously, there are several requirements for this to happen.) For the sliders, I would envision a simple box for beginners, a higher, split-level box for intermediates, and a kicker for those that need to go big. (Look up OWC for pictures.)

I don’t have the time to do all of the work to make this happen on my own so at this point, I am just checking interest levels to see if anyone is willing to help out in some way, either with construction of the sliders or placement of the buoys.
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-16-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Steve, I'd be very interested in seeing something like this get off the ground...or, should I say get afloat (sorry, couldn't resist). However, not knowing all the details
on boating at Standley, I have some questions. Since its a permit/locals only lake, isn't availability going to be very limited? Seems the interest would be limited to only those that have permits or those that ride with those that have permits.

That said, Standley is right around the corner from where I work and I'd be more than willing to swing a hammer or whatever other help you might need.
Old     (sikwitit)      Join Date: May 2006       04-16-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
I wish I could get a Standley pass!!! New boat no pass
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-16-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
I can swing a hammer.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-16-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
i'll help if you tell me what to do!