Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
WOW. The up and down lip looks like it was made with a narrow hull, what boat?
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-22-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
23 foot LSV
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-22-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
Kyle....ok.....thanks.....Id like to try to ride behind that boat.......it has a nice wake.......and a cool graphics.......and most of all it has a cool nose to it..............peace.......................
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
Chris, you still haven't answered my main question... will there be any east coast dealers. Florida or Texas perhaps? If my dad could test drive this boat, I am sure he would change his mind about an X-2.

Also, You said 4-5 gph, is that with full ballast?

Truly amazing boat and amazing wake. Good job Chris, I really admire underground companies with great ideas.

One more thing, everyone is talking about 'price point boats'. From what I have seen, none of these 'price point boats' come with all that equipment standard and I don't think any companies have a 23' wakeboard boat as a price point boat.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2005, 10:45 PM Reply   
One more thing. Post a picture of a double up with full ballast.
Old     (silver_fox)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-23-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
Ok, here is the real dope on the EPIC.
I am one of the lucky Canadians who is getting to ride behind the Chris Anthony's Epic prototype, and I have to say that the wake is huge, hard, and has massive pop. I have been out 3 times behind the Epic, and I have to say that I like it more and more each time I ride. I usually ride behind Kyle's Sky Supreme, and another buddy's Centurion. I have also riden behind the X-star at provincial comps, the Super Air at the 2004 Canadian Nationals, Wakesetters, and X-2's, none of these boats have a wake as big as the Epic. I am not kidding. The X-star wake is close, but it is not as hard. The X-star also takes longer to get up on the plane. When I drove the Epic, and I was impressed with how well it handled. With the boat being bigger and heavier than most wakeboard boats, I though that the Epic would handle like a dawg. Not so. It comes out of the hole great, it turns really well with no cavitation, you don't get swamped when you slow down to pick up a fallen rider, you don't bash your teeth out on double-ups, and it holds speed pretty good. We are really excited that Chris is building the boat here in Penticton, BC. I know that Chris is working on some refinements which will no doubt make the boat even better. He has put a lot of thought into the Epic and it shows. Small things like ballast pump impellors that you can access very easily illustrate this. This truly is a wakeboarder's boat. If there are any doubter's out there, I have one thing to say: "Wait until you ride behind it before you pass judgement, and don't blame the boat if the wake kicks your ass". Most of us got kicked by it our first time out.

Note: I have no affiliation with Epic Boats, and I do not expect that I ever will have any formal affiliation with Epic (meaning: I am not writing this in the hopes that it will help me get a sponsorship). I just met Chris a week and a half ago, he is a regular wakeboarder like the rest of us. I love to wakeboard, and the bigger the wake, the better. Thanks Chris, for sharing your boat with us!!! I can't wait for the next session.

Ride on!!
Old    grud8            07-24-2005, 11:49 PM Reply   
Owe you guys some X-45 wake pics, look for them next week, I totally forgot to take some pics.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2005, 12:14 AM Reply   
Cant wait to see the X45 Wake.... We launch in same marina as some friends with the 2005 X-45.... They add a few sacks when they ride to bump the wake up a notch... they liked the Epic wake when they felt their boat rock when we drove by...

They also liked the fact that the Epic didnt need a bunch of sacks taking up storage or walking space around the boat...

So from a stock point of view.. the Epic was a bigger and thicker wake....

I think that is the idea Chris is getting at.... Why should you spend higher amounts of money on a boat and still have to add sacks and pumps etc...

The Epic is designed to be put in the lake... and ridden... not time trying to throw pumps in the water etc...

The X45 is one of my favourites.. so is the X-Star.... but I like the simplicity and the wake shape and size of the Epic too....

Just my thoughts....

Most new boats have great wakes... it just comes down to personal opinion....

Go big!!!
Old    bambamski            07-25-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
How does the boat handle? Kyle the wake is important don't get me wrong but how the boat handles is pretty important to me as I'm the one that drives it all day. I think a lot of people that are buying new boats kind of forget that.

IMO bigger is not always better and when I pull up to the pump my wallet is a little heavier when I leave then someone with a 23 foot boat. I also laugh at these guys that say their 23 foot boat handles every bit as well as my 21 foot boat. BS!!!! I tell them you may have a boat that handles well for a 23 foot boat but they all handle like a fat pig compared to a good 21 foot boat. That's just the way it is.

I'm like you Kyle I'm no pro, and my wake with the stock ballast and a sac in the bow is more than I need. I was trying tantrums last week and I emptied all the ballast and the wake still looked scary when I was going to hit it for the Tantrum. I honestly think you'll see more hardcore boats going back to the 21 foot range. Easier to sink, cost less, less money to fill and run and the wake is every bit as big as any "bigger" boat I've ever ridden behind.

I'm not saying it's a bad boat, just saying too big for me. The last thing I want is 10 riders on my boat. I'd never get to ride ever!
Old     (bradzass)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-25-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
bambamsk, why wouldn't a 23 foot boat handle as good as a 21 foot boat? Maybe if you want to strap a tube on the back and do big power turns and S's, but not for wakeboarding, I have a Lewis Challenger which comes in just under 23, sure you have to load it a little more than a smaller boat, but it takes 10 people with room to spare and drives faultless, easily as nice as any other wake boat. So your saying anything over 21 handles like a "fat pig"?

The Epic looks awesome, probably a while till I see any in Australia unfortionately. How many is Chris hoping to build per month/year etc?

(Message edited by bradzass on July 25, 2005)
Old    bambamski            07-25-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
It's all relative Brad. Someone can say that their 19 foot Malibu sportster or prostar 190 makes my 21 foot boat handle like a fat pig as well. The bigger the boat the worse it's going to handle to a point for sure.

Brad I'm not sure what a Lewis Challenger is but any 23 foot V-drive will not out handle my 21 foot V-drive. "10 people with room to spare" why do you want 10 people on you're boat? IMO, 5 is the number, at 10 you're going to be tripping over everyone, you'll get to ride once ever 4-5 hours and you'll have to fill up the boat again so everyone could have two sets. I'll never understand why having 10 people is so important to some.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
Hey Pat... I like the way the boat handles... gets up on plane smoothly... goes through chop and double ups like nothing... tight smooth turns when weighted... no cavitation... probably has lot to do with the hull design. It is a very quiet boat too.

The steering has a different feel... when going straight... you dont even have to hold the wheel... it goes straight... when you turn for a double up... ease off so you don't over correct the turn back to the old wake.

I love the way my Supreme and Crow handled with no weight when I was screwing around doing donuts at 45mph... not really the reason I bought the boat.... but fun every once in awhile.

It will be very interesting when the Epic production boat comes out... it is going to be a lot lighter...

When driving the Epic... the boat doesnt roll or sway from riders cutting... I think it is the weight and hull design combine to achieve that.

Like I say... it is personal preference... This boat is not for everyone...

I like it and I am going to get one....

Its not ONLY about the wake size... The riders I ride with like how solid the wake is... it just doesnt break off at the top... there is no softness or forgiveness to the wake... so you have to ride it 3-4 times to get used to it.... The first few times... it will kick your butt....

Pat come to Penticton and I will get you on it and behind it.... Give some feedback... Chris is always open to suggestions... he wants to here constructive feedback from those who buy the boats.

When are you in town?
Old    wickedwake            07-25-2005, 5:13 PM Reply   
Chris great ad in Alliance mag this month. Also the pics in the "San Diego" article are great. The wake looks HUGE!!! I want one!!! Dont listen to those haters who bash the blunt nose, IMO it is one of the selling points of the boat. It doesnt look like everything else. Great job buddy!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-25-2005, 5:24 PM Reply   
I admire what Epic is doing. What a cool job and startup. Congrats and keep up the hard work. I hope this boat is as awesome and lives up to this thread. I really do. I just can't see how it is going to be that much better of a wake than what all these big name companies are doing. I mean the R & D dollars have got to be weighing heavily on the big builders. I trust your opinions and can't wait to see it in action.... I found a similar pic that my boat puts out and of course found the need to compare..... Both big wakes, but could I say radically bigger in either's favor???? You be the judge.. Maybe I just have owner blinders on. Epic picture first and then Supra next

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-25-2005, 5:58 PM Reply   
Here is our front page article on Chris' "project."

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=296
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-25-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
Diggs ~ I'm the guy who took that pic and we were riding in 6' of salt water. I can only dream about how much bigger it could.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-25-2005, 8:32 PM Reply   
Again, not putting it down.. I think it is awesome. It is more towards the opinion that it is huge and way bigger than any other.... I agree about salt water and depth, but it still is not going to double in size... or is it? Again, not trying to flame.. Really hope it is all that....
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-25-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   
Kyle,

Good business sense would probably tell you to try something other than the boat business. But if I am reading between your lines correctly, it is the kind of excitement your are showing for this thing that could be the start of your next career!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-25-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
Chris, I think Kyle wants a job.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
Diggs, I will tell you right now that shallow water makes a huge difference. We have ski/wakeboard school in Zachary LA. They have man made lakes that were only 5 ft deep and no matter how much you weighted the boats (x-9s) the wake was really small and mellow.

As for salt, I know that the bouyancy in salt is higher so the boat will sit higher. Probably enough to effect the wake a bit.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2005, 10:15 PM Reply   
Hey PorkChops... its not about wanting a job... I just enjoy a good thing when I see it.... there is a reason why I give away wakeboards for free... when I have a rider that wants to progress... and wants to compete... I give them free equipment.... top of the line stuff... i try and give them the biggest wake... etc....

Its a lot of fun... Maybe I am living vicariously through others... hahahaha

Don't need a job in the boat business...

There isnt a day that goes buy where I am not doing something to aid in helping riders get better... hence the reason the Stiffy Tower is officially on the Sky Supreme for the first time ever... Try it in the morning and see how it goes!

Have a great ride!
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-25-2005, 10:42 PM Reply   
I appreciate the positive comments. I look forward to wake comparisons. That is kind of the point Epic Boats in the first place, to make the best wake out there. But you will never know until you stack it against the best. Once the first boats roll out, we need to figure out a way to logically compare wakes. I figure it will involve a towable device or person, an agreed upon camera placement and a common rope length and speed. Of course, everyone will not agree on what the best specs are for this. But I think it can and needs to be done, and would love to be the first to show the public how boats really stack up in the wake department. There should probably be a third party involved in this, as people would just say we rigged the test. But anyone that has advertisers wouldn’t touch it as their sponsors could be damaged by the report. Someone should start a thread on this to gather ideas on how to do it. Maybe one of the larger wakeboard clubs with a lot of the members already owning popular boats could get this accomplished. What will be really interesting for us, is when we have the first production boat in the water with the newly reconfigured ballast. We had to move the weight around a bit to accommodate for the D.R.O.P Zone stuff working better than expected. The ballast will also be bumped up to 4100lbs to adjust for the drop in boat weight from 4300lbs to around 3300lbs. Imagine a HUGE wake boat that you can actually tow with a V6 :-) There will also be a few new tech goodies on the production boat as well, which should be completed in a couple of weeks now. And if Kyle worked for us we would never get ANYTHING done. We would just ride all day and talk about the new laser assisted ballast system he had thought up the night before...
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       07-26-2005, 5:08 AM Reply   
Chris,

You live in San Diego, right??? I live up in the UTC area, around the 5, and 52. I'd like to take a look at your boat. The pics look great, it's an amazing build.

That wake looks huge, let me know if you need a rider for a test drive, *hint, hint*

-Blake
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-26-2005, 6:39 AM Reply   
Leo - again I stated in my post that I realize there will be a difference in wake size with shallow water and salt water.... I know this... I don't want to flame... please try not to take it there. Just a conversation piece. Chris... keep up the entreprenuerial spirit. We are all excited to see what you can bring to the industry!
On a side note to what Chris was saying about tests. There is some guy out here in Portland that is trying to ban wakes over 1' (or something like that) on the Willamette River in a certain section. He claims to have an instrument to measure wake sizes.... Not sure anything about it. Could be a ruler and could be something more intricate. Maybe someone else that knows more about the subject will pipe up...
Old    propayne            07-26-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
what will the price run on these boats
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-26-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
Chris,

Are you going to have a dealer in the Bay Area?

I can't wait to see these X45 pics. Just make sure you're comparing similar speeds. No wake pictures at 20mph.

And...I really don't see the similarities between this boat and the nose of the MC. Send me some of what you are smoking barefooter.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-26-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
Chris Anthony...
Did you say a V6? Is this correct or a typo? If your running a V6, what engine did you choose.

I have been very impressed what what I have seen and read, and Kudos to you for doing this. Stir things up...that's what its all about.

KG
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
I think he was reffering to the tow rig having a V6 and pulling his 3300lbs boat.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
A V6 will struggle with that beast of a gas tank full though.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
I know,I was just trying to clarify.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-26-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
so does the boat use Wood in the stringer system? Will wood be used in the full production boats?

Is is just me or does the finish look a bit dull? Will this improve in production?

Go get em Chris.
Old    bambamski            07-26-2005, 1:26 PM Reply   
I'm not going to be heading that way this year Kyle. I acually just got back from 10 days in the Vernon area. I really could get used to living out there for sure! Didn't make it that far south (penticton) this trip.

I'm heading to Pasco in a couple of weeks for 10 days and that's pretty much the end of the holidays for this year. I'm pretty beat up from a week of riding out there so maybe it's a good thing I can't ride every day during the summer. The old Body would never hold up.

JK, have you done that roll yet?
Old    stillstandin            07-26-2005, 3:42 PM Reply   
Ok, the wake looks good, but I still cant get over the looks of that boat....its butt ugly (IMO)..I still think the front looks like a duck billed platapus....
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-26-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
Chris, to compare boats you should have a weight cap for all the test boats. So say the X-star weighs 4300 and the epic weighs 3300. Make both boats equal the same weight when ballasted. So add about 2200lbs to the epic and 1200 to the x-star so the boats weight 5500 weighted. Then allow pro/expert riders to ride the boat at 85-90 ft at 24 mph. Take pictures from the transom of the boat and take a side view picture of the wakes. Then compare pictures. I know when they released the new x-star, they gave dimensions on the wake size when weighted with stock weight. I guess see if anyone can measure wakes...that guy from oregon.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-26-2005, 4:51 PM Reply   
Sorry Kyle, didn't mean to offend. Just that your posts read pretty much like an advertisement, and your glowing report of the wake is not exactly what I have heard about it. Have heard it is really nice, but not the best ever.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on July 26, 2005)
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2005, 6:40 PM Reply   
Hey Leo... I would disagree about a weight cap. I think the idea Chris is getting at.... is simplicity... You can back the boat in the water and get a big wake (PorkChops.. don't think I said it was the best wake ever) without having to fill up after market sacks.

I think the wake should be compared as they come standard... because at the end of the day... If a boat is suppose to specifically designed for wakeboarding... you shouldnt have to add after market items to make it more wakeboard specific.

PorkChops... you didn't offend me... You obviously don't know me.... Nothing offends me...

If I got offended easily... I would stay as far away from wakeboarding as possible.... I suck!!!

As far as the look of the boat... it is going to come down to personal preferences... I just a friend call it "the coffin". hahaha.... Another friend called it the "stealth bomber"... no matter how you look at it... it definitely has an edgy mean look... not the nice warm fuzzy feel....

I don't know what I feel about the look... but I do enjoy when the lakefront property owners and other boat owners are yelling profanities at me because of the rollers I send their way... it is entertaining...

Just to clarify for others that havent read the entire post... I am NOT advertising for Epic. I am NOT affiliated with Epic. I do NOT have a financial interest in Epic. I did NOT say the Epic is the be all end all...

I just simply had the opportunity to ride in and behind the boat... and gave my personal opinion... Do I have to have one... NO... are there other excellent boats on the market YES... Do other boats throw as big of wakes... YES...

I just like the fact that Epic seems to have the biggest stock ballast out of the box wake. No other wake making devices required. Simple.

If I lived on the lake and never had to worry about storage or walking over sacks... then I would buy a base model boat and load it up with lead or water ballast.... but I don't... so when someone comes out with an innovative design that seems to work... it peeks my interest...

Oh ok... I get a little over excited...

I am sure if you didn't own a boat and someone dropped off a boat in your driveway overnight without you knowing... you might get a little excited too...

Well I am excited to see a production model Epic.

Maybe one day if I have an Epic... I will be happy if I have the second largest wake to Porkchops. Second ain't so bad you know! I am sure Aztec, Alpina, Moomba, Centurian, and many others would like to be second.

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-26-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
"I have ridden behind everything and that is the biggest wake I have ever seen!"

"I have never had my a$$ kicked som much by a wake."

"I would never admit it... but that wake scared me."

Not the descriptions that I got. Did hear that it was nice, though. Also heard thet the rider center was pretty nice, too.

As far as not having to worry about storage and walking over fat sacs, etc., as it is, don't have to worry about that,either. I just hit the factory ballast fill, and I'm done.

Second largest wake, well if you compare it to mine, you and I would probably be second & third largest to quite a few others out there. Keep in mind that size + shape = nice wake.

Hey I'm a rider, and I want to progress. Can I get some free stuff? (that top of the line stuff you mentioned)

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on July 26, 2005)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-26-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
I am impressed with what I have seen so far, having spent the entire spring and early summer rebuilding seats and recovering the seats in my boat, I can't imagine the hours it has taken Chris to piece this boat together, not too bad for a prototype either. I really like the snub nose too, it is unique, Chris could offer the option of a pointed nose add on like the Valdez brothers MB boat has.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
I just gave away my Fish 133 and Sphynx. Bringing in a Dallas Friday Pro Model to give away too... People are so surprised when I hand them the board and say take it! It is actually kind of funny!

I didn't know what to think of the riders center... but after hearing it... I am either getting the EPIC or the hole saw will be in action shortly... I had a friend way back with a Maristar and he put two 10" subs in the transom behind the swim grid.

Those quotes were from people I took out... not me... I am not at a level where I can really comment myself... what would I say... hmmm... "doesnt matter how big the wake is... I still can't wakeboard"... "wow my toeside jumping is getting better... I can almost chuck the handle all the way into the boat"... "Wow that wake is big.... I never knew my knees could absorb that much wake"... comments from others... "Kyle.. how can you hit a wake that big and still not get any air?"

Yes it is that bad... but... I am still riding... for how long? Don't know...

PorkChops.. if you get a chance to ride behind it... Try it... it is definitely different....

Keep up the good riding!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-26-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
Sure hope to get that chance. Huge props to Chris for actually doing something that we all talk about, trying to build a better wakeboard boat. Quite honored that he found his inspiration at one of our comp. Chris, if you are interested, you should talk to Robyn about getting your Epic out to one of our comps soon.

Honestly, it's kinda like when you are backing your boat up into your garage, and your wife says "O.K., you're about 2 inches away", then you hop out of the truck and you are a foot and a half away. When you hear such praise, and claim from an unknown source, you have to be a little cautious.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-26-2005, 9:57 PM Reply   
kyle, i like the epic boats and wanna progress. can you give me a new board/bindings set-up?
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2005, 12:28 AM Reply   
Dam, I want a pair of LF Teams size Large while you are at it Kyle :-) And I know I should have set up a fresh water ride with the SoCal Boyz, but I was pressed for time and just wanted to get them out on the boat just to see it. Salt and low tide does make a HUGE difference in the wake and the butter was no where to be found on the bay that morning. Lake Powell was by far the best I've seen the wake. 300ft deep fresh water with out a ripple on it, WOW. We have to include PorkChops in the next Epic Elsi run... I think the biggest difference with wake is not only size, though. The shape has much more to due with the prowess of this wake. The high table makes the wake very firm and the shape is what I have dreamt about for over three years now, lots of transition with little trough and a nice lip. But, like most have said "You just have to ride it". Some will still prefer the snowboard pump and lots of vert they get on their SANTE and some would rather ride the long transitions on the X-star. It will still be a preference thing, just like why people chose a Corvette over a Porsche or BMW. All great cars but each has a case for being the best. We just hope we put forth a strong case for our crazy new boat to be the best choice for wake sports loving people in terms of functionality, maintainability, comfort, style, and most importantly wake shape and size.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-27-2005, 1:39 AM Reply   
so the question is, when are you taking us out again?
Old     (lather)      Join Date: May 2005       07-27-2005, 2:38 AM Reply   
I am sorry, money is ruining this sport. This guy just built a pimp boat in his garage and guys that just dropped $60-$90 large on their boats can't handle it. This boat maybe the best wakeboard boat ever, or it may sink after 2 hours in the water, whatever. HE JUST BUILT HIS OWN BOAT. Can any of you even build your own wood wakeskate?

This sport started with guys taking old ski boats and trying to customize them for wakeboarding. Five years ago it was great if you had a tower, now if you drop $70k on an X-Star and still have to add extra weight, it’s a problem. I have seen multiple X-Stars on the river this year, and only one of them had a baller behind it. I've seen Malibu, SAN, and everything in NOR Cal, do any of them have ballers behind them? I would say about 15%.

I just purchased my dream boat (X-2) this past May. It has everything I will ever need. Why? Because I did five seasons in an 80's Prostar with fatsacs, a pole (did get a tower year 2), no seating, pumps and hoses, direct drive, no bow seating, and a ton of other ghetto stuff. Did I bitch about having to fill sacks or not enough room for chicks to lay out? Hellz no, I was on the river riding.

I remember seeing an X-2 (then X-star) roll by on the delta and saying to myself "I am going to own that boat some day because it is P-I-M-P and I could do some sick stuff behind it". I also remember that same boat on the pro tour with guys doing disticulous stuff behind it.

But now that I have the old pro tour boat, I must be doing speed balls or lord knows whatever the Pros did behind the X-2 on the tour, right? HELLZ NO. Do I need a bigger wake? Hellz know. My old Prostar cost me one knee, one peck tendon, two ear drums, and more concussions that 10 years of rugby couldn't amass. If I did that damage behind an 80's Prostar, do I really need a bigger wake?

My point, just because you have a big check book and a small something else, you won't do a 1080' behind any boat(SAN, X-45, X-Star, Supra, insert your over priced boat here), so don't hate on a guy that did something you will never think of doing.

Smell ya on the water!
P.S. I am now a guy with a big check book and an extremely small something else.
Old     (lather)      Join Date: May 2005       07-27-2005, 2:42 AM Reply   
Also props to using a SacTown tower.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-27-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
Chris - If you drag it up to Els, I will be there, board in hand. Try to be on my best objective behavior. Again, mad props for doing what others only talk about. If you really want honest, candid opinions, the best thing to do is get all the mooches/whores out behind it (Joe, Ant, Thane, Blake, Blabelmooch, etc.). No ownership goggles, good input (make sure they know you won't hold anything against).

I noticed in one of the pictures that there may have been spray pockets on the boat at one time, and that they are now filled. That was a big thing with the Tige's, seemed to really improve the wake. Has anyone tried to "enhance" that area? Reverse spray pockets, if you will. bulge out that area of the hull and test? Just curious. Maybe if filling the spray pockets is good, then bulging it out better? Just an idea.

mather - ???? first person break out the h(ate) word. I suggest decaf.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-28-2005, 4:29 AM Reply   
Bring it out to Texas, there is a community out here that would love to take a look at it
Old    maverick            07-28-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
One of the best places I've ridden (Bethy Creek on the Trinity River) is half way between Dallas and Houston.The owner is a very good rider himself and I think would welcome an Epic demo day there.Chris,let me know if you are interested
I think alot of Texas riders would come.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-28-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
Wakesurfing from today....

Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-29-2005, 4:32 AM Reply   
Ive never been on Bethy Creek, but a couple of people up here in the Austin area say that its the best spot in texas to ride
Old    wickedwake            07-29-2005, 8:52 AM Reply   
WOW! That is a barrel...behind a BOAT!!!
Old    mike_m            07-29-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
Okay, lot's of people are saying too much weight, too little etc.. and trying to compare to other boats on the market and what they are familiar with... while it is human nature to find a common point of reference and start there, that doesn't apply with this boat, if the hull is really that different.
Today's hulls are made for rise and run, the boat needs to be fully on top of the water before it can perform. Look at the pics of this boat from the front under way, the water on most boats sprays off to the side, does this side spray look like any other boat you have seen coming at you?
Net, throw away past ideals of correct ballast and just wait to see how it rides.
As for how proven the boat and its' components are, someone said it earlier, it has all the best parts. Does anyone think Dell makes computers, no they take everyone elses' parts and assemble, the case is the only thing that is different. In terms of a boat, the case is the only thing that sets them apart.. big companies move slow and work from what worked in the past and make slight changes, even the new X-star isn't far off from the prior model,which is just the 205V with a tower and ballast, when laying under it, just stretched out a bit. I know poeple will cry about the front, but how often does it even touch the water, never mind the lack of effect to the wake, And the new X-star of course doesn't need as much ballast, the boat is bigger so it is heavier.

I have a 205V with tower and ballast, and love it. The only issue is ability to plane when weighted. This new boat appears to push and plow, rather then rise/run... if I get a chance to ride/drive it, I would be happy to cash in the MC and try something new. If people think the 6.0 isn't enough, go to GM.com and order from the engine list, if the bolt pattern doesn't work, try advanced adapters.
I have the 6.0 in my truck, if anyone changes the computer, air intake and puts a super charger on it, there is no way they could cry about not enough power.

To measure the wake, what about using survey equipment, I live on the a lake and we use the water to set elevation bench marks. You can shoot the water flat, then various spots on the wake to measure height, ramp etc... or digital photo's with a constant in the photo for size.
anyway, the boat looks amazing, hope it hits CT sometime soon. There is plenty of room for more ski boats on Lake Lillinonah, candlewood and zoar.

Best of luck!
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       07-29-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Will the epic come in other colors, black is a pain in the arse to clean!
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-29-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
Chris, you have my number...hit me up for some fresh water!!!!
Old    mike_m            07-31-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
Also, someone asked who makes the trailer, it is an Extreem, made in Cali. I have one, Great trailer! I can move it by hand in my garage, and even though it is tandem, I can swing the nose around in the garage by hand also.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2005, 12:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for the props Mather, and Mike is right about the design. It is just different, way different. The 23v doesn't follow any of the traditional weighting suggestions and acts completely opposite from traditional boats when weight is shifted from side to side. We had a bunch of guys out on a windy day and the wake started to wash on one side. I would normally just fill the opposite side ballast to compensate but in traditional boats you put more weight on the same side as the wash, the guys in the boat did what they do in their boats and then we had five guys huddled on one side of the boat wondering why the wake got even worse??? I had to give an EPIC weighting lesson to clarify and all was well again, but it is a little thing like that that shows you how different this boat is. This thing is just new, and different. The wake is just different, and may take some getting used to, because it is sooo different... Word of the post: DIFFERENT :-) And, of course, the 23v will come in many different colors. The production boats will not come with Extreme trailers. We will be building our own trailers for these boats, all galv, oil hubs, LEDs all around, functional and built to last through the worst abuse lazy wakeboarders can throw at it, just like the 23v :-) And the SoCal crew will get a pull as soon as I have a boat to drag back down that way. It looks like the first boats are going to promotion and to the NorthWest so I'll try to hurry but no promises...
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-03-2005, 12:36 AM Reply   
Northwest huh? How about swingin through central Oregon, we got some pretty decent water around here, but only till about the end of september.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
Chris,

mad props for attempting this thing, let alone completing it, and haveing the finished product work out so well. I would have stopped right about the time I got foam delivered.

My biggest worry for you is the pending lawsuits all the big manufactueres are currently writing up to shut you down
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
Where in the Northwest are you going? I know some buddies here in Seattle that would all love to see the boat...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-03-2005, 9:26 PM Reply   
Bill come on up... you are a 7 hour drive max... call ahead of time.. we will make sure you get a good ride!!!