Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    mrayrage19            06-29-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
im in the market of buying a new boat, which one do you think would be the better buy.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-29-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
it came down to these two boats in the end for me, sort of a toss-up, I like the Bu, just a little bit better. If you think everything is better, go with the dealer that gives you the warm fuzzies.
Old    zboomer            06-29-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
Man, I just made this EXACT choice a month ago.

I priced out both, and with identical options the Bu ran about $6.5k over the SSV.

Just looking at the boats, the Malibu seemed to have a plusher interior -- vinyl covered dash, billet plaques, "Isota" steering wheel, slightly thicker seats, etc. I don't see how you could make a nicer interior than a VLX has. On the downside, my wife thought the vinyl dash and stuff was just one more thing to take care of, to crack in the sun after a few years.

On the Supra's side, I liked the tower better, and it just seemed twice as big inside for some reason, even though it was only 8" longer and 2" wider. It seemed a foot wider, and has the stadium seating option which rocks.

I also liked the Supra's soft ballast bags, which are easy to upgrade, and take up almost no space when they're empty. Being a "family man" I spend a lot of chill time, so the extra space is nice when we're not going big.

The Supra's playpen bow seating is also super cool, and gives you a HUGE "Basement" area underneath for storage, or a mondo ballast bag.

The local Supra dealer treated me MUCH better though, and offered me way more for my trade, which sealed the deal for me. I couldn't justify > $6k for the (slightly) nicer interior, and what seemed like much less space.

To be honest I loved both boats. I'd have been happy as hell with either. Who knows, I might have ended up with the Malibu had the dealer done me right. I gave him first chance -- visited him first, and LOVED the VLX, but he acted like he was doing me a favor selling me a boat, whereas the Supra dealer seemed very eager for my business.

As for wake comparison, I've never ridden behind a Malibu, so really can't make an honest comparison. The wake my SSV makes is killer though.

I couldn't be happier with my choice at this point. Sometimes things just work out. :-)

Old    wakeboycoy            06-29-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
Are you considering new or used? I have ridden behind both of these boats and found that the VLX wake is quite a bit nicer. It's almost like you can't make it roll over no matter how it is balanced with ballast. I like the wake on the SSV loaded down too but just not as big and the shape wasn't for my riding style. As stated above, Malibu spares no cost on their choice of vinyl, hinges, latches, etc. In my experience in the past it did not seem that the SSV had the level of quality that was offered by Malibu. If it is any indication of my bias opinion (and it is just that... a personal preference) I just bought a 2001 WS VLX w MLS and 1000 lbs ballast in the back. I have logged over 75 hours since I bought it and have not one complaint. I LOVE IT! I'm sure, as stated above, that you will enjoy whichever you choose. Good luck.
Old    zboomer            06-30-2004, 6:07 AM Reply   
Yep, as I saw someone mention elsewhere, boats are like Women -- different strokes, for different folks... There is no right or wrong, just different priorites.

Check out both, and pick what fits YOU the best, based on the boat itself, your priorities (space, wake, money, dealer, etc.)

I think the SSV needs more weight than the VLX for a big wake, since it's a bigger boat. I was talking to this retired pro wakeboarder the other day who rides Supra, and he said his SSV has a rock-solid waist-high wake, at 25 mph, on a 95-foot line. I think he has the GG bags, and even more weight added.

By comparison, I like a 65-foot line at about 20 mph, so you see the gap here, lol.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-30-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
i havent riden behind a ssv but i heard its a sweet wake, i've checked out the ssv though, and in time when im done with my moomba thats probably what im stepping up to. I think the supra is one sweet boat.

the malibu is also a great boat, the guy that said you cant make the wake fold over if you tryed is so true, i've had the pleasure of riding behind one and the wake is just sick, i only had to edge out about 4ft to clear the wake w/ a 60ft rope. i personally do not like the tower placement on the VLX and

i dont like the stock stereo (sony). i also like the gauges of the supra better. the seating is about the same i think. i'd probably try the supra, but i'd like to see the wake on it first.

i might be partial to supra since i own a moomba and they are the same co. and also the moomba/supra dealer is 100x better than the malibu dealer over here.
Old    mrayrage19            07-01-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
oh ok thanks but any other posts would be greatly appreciated. any pictures of the wakes and boats would be great.

(Message edited by mrayrage19 on July 01, 2004)
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-01-2004, 6:58 PM Reply   
The only way to know what is right for you is getting behind both. Everyone has a different riding style, I love the SSV - the interior, wake, ride, storage.
Old    mrayrage19            07-02-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
ASDFSA