Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2017, 9:18 AM Reply   
You always grind the laps. If someone said not to, or a video said not to, walk away. You want to grind off those big air bubble too.

Matt is a good guy. He makes good videos showing real and reliable techniques. He is usually working with PU, which is different than EPS.

Nick
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       04-12-2017, 9:25 AM Reply   
Awesome thanks for the advice. Is it fine to grind them down those bad corners? Since it seems like there is more then just 2 layers on the corner, can I grind it then cut some off or no? Remember first ever board so it probably will suck. I am ready to do the next few, this has been very stress relieving for me. I am sure it will help out more once I get to ride them.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-12-2017, 9:27 AM Reply   
The first fiberglass work I ever did was building a 17.5' cedar strip canoe. When I glassed the inside of the canoe I had a number of small air bubbles where I had not filled in gaps between strips and/or sanded the cedar strips enough. I had to go through and cut out each air bubble. Sometimes air bubbles are unavoidable, but the more experience you get and the better you do prepping and planning the less bubbles you will have.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-12-2017, 9:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNwakeboarder86 View Post
Awesome thanks for the advice. Is it fine to grind them down those bad corners? Since it seems like there is more then just 2 layers on the corner, can I grind it then cut some off or no? Remember first ever board so it probably will suck. I am ready to do the next few, this has been very stress relieving for me. I am sure it will help out more once I get to ride them.
Nick has more experience so he might have some other suggestions, but I would cut out the air bubbles with a razor blade, then use a hard sanding block and 40 grit sand paper to sand everything nice and smooth.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2017, 6:04 PM Reply   
You can do either one, but grinding down/open will be better than cutting with a razor blade. First cured resin a fabric is really hard to cut, secondly, the cut line will never re-wetout. But ground down you will get some wet out and less of an irregular look.

Nick
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       04-13-2017, 5:22 AM Reply   
Ok thanks guys, Now to make everyones day I am sure we all had made big mistakes, so here is mine. My first time ever with future fins, since the boards I have now that I bought and regret aren't futures, well I put the future box in backwords. No idea, I feel like I an idiot. I had to drill a fin to correct it, and make it fit. HAHA Yes grinding was awesome, really smoothed out everything. After that I see why even before I do the deck, I should grind down the lap, it makes it so smooth!. I did get to grind down the box, didn't know it was that easy. LOVE TO HEAR ANYONE ELSES BLUNDERS AND BIG MISTAKES. Hope you all got a great laugh at my expense!!!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-13-2017, 8:17 AM Reply   
People put boxes in backwards all the time. That is it happens when people do blind installs, ie. just taped and install and not using a dummy fin to check the cant, etc. They either catch the mistake when still wet or you typically just route the box out. If a box breaks or cracks you have to route it out too, not a big deal, if you have a jig. Modifying a fin or two to fit is another option, but it is limiting.

I sell inexpensive future replacements that are great for dummy fins.

http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurffins/...placement-fins

Nick
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       04-13-2017, 5:45 PM Reply   
Well I did it again. Another Mess up. No idea what I did but the resin was burning and ended up eating the foam...what did I do? Only thing I do different I think was put a lot of the extra resin back in the bucket and reused it...
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-13-2017, 6:22 PM Reply   
Resin or resin+hardener? If you pour to much resin out to mix, then you can put it back in the container, but not if it has been mixed with hardener.

You can mix enough to do two boards at a time, but you better be a lightening fast laminator and using slow hardener in a sub 80 degree facility.

Epoxy once mixed has a pot life, and the more epoxy is together the greater the thermo reaction. 1oz of epoxy can get quite hot, hot enough to melt plastic, so multiple ounces will get real hot. This is the biggest problem with the old FCS style plugs, the amount of resin used often melts EPS.

Nick
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       04-13-2017, 7:19 PM Reply   
I did a 4 ft 8 board, green light said roughly 11oz resin, so I did 11 resin and 5.5 hardner.. first time I did it, it didn't burn. But this time it was burning. It ate the foam, and my burnt my hand..the only thing I can think of is that I poured then shimmy extra back in bucket and reused... I'm so mad or ate huge chunk in board.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-13-2017, 8:05 PM Reply   
First of all these types of resin are 2:1 by volume, not 2:1 by weight. They are actually 1:0.43-0.45 by weight. So, 11 ounces of resin should get around 4.8ounces of hardener. More hardener does not make it go faster like a polyester/mekp system. More hardener generally makes it more gummy.

Did you microwave your resin? This was a thermo reaction, so at some point your resin got hot, either it started hot or it sat in a container too long.

Nick
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       04-13-2017, 8:20 PM Reply   
I didn't microwave...I did the mixes in the cups..I swear I poured it stirred it. Did it for 4 min then poured..could it be from putting all the extra from the board back in the cup? Could I have put less hardner then needed? I attached the second board which is what I burnt. Did the hot coat on the first board. Looks shiny next sand and then the lake. That's the last two pics.
Attached Images

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       04-17-2017, 5:39 AM Reply   
Ok. so I am the idiot who since the truck broke down last week I took this amazing weekend and finished three boards. Next week ill try them all. The UT color one was all free hand, not to bad for no idea what I was doing. The colorful one, was the one that had the chemical burning from the resin, I think for how much damage was done it turned out ok. None of these looks perfect, but hey they are smooth, and im happy. When I did the Laps, a lot of it had a few air pockets, no idea how I used the light and shined and saw none, also same thing with doing a little more then I should probably too on the Laps. I need to trim it better so not as much. I had a few extra pile up it looks like on resin, sadly you can never get those to look perfect then. The third board I decided to try something different, I did a cloth in lay, not perfect but its cool in my opinion. O it helped really making a glassing stand, which means a little higher. REALLY HELPED!. I am eager to order some foam blanks, im thinking MARCO FOAM. I want to make a few more. This has been really fun, I hope they work, we will see Saturday weather approved of course. These don't look at all as good as CHAOS boards, but man I am proud. Thank you for all the help! Next ill try the channel ones. Since I am bigger, I need that channel so I can go way back in the wake and start learning tricks I believe.
Attached Images

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       05-11-2017, 6:03 AM Reply   
well finally got out on the lake and tested them. My buddies loved them, but still for me they didn't work. Don't know if its the wave of the boat, or the boards. We didn't have it very long wave but it was very steep.
Attached Images

Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-12-2017, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNwakeboarder86 View Post
well finally got out on the lake and tested them. My buddies loved them, but still for me they didn't work. Don't know if its the wave of the boat, or the boards. We didn't have it very long wave but it was very steep.
There's nothing more gratifying that piloting a craft that you built yourself, glad you could finally get out and ride. Keep shaping, you'll figure out something that works for you.
Old     (RideaNeversummer)      Join Date: Feb 2014       09-07-2017, 6:57 AM Reply   
Here's an update, we have been busy all summer turning this project into a legitimate brand. That means logo development, sourcing apparel, and of course building boards and doing demos. We're finally at the stage of launching our website, which will go live tomorrow morning at 10:00 am. To celebrate were giving away some free stuff on our Instagram account @jackpinewakesurf. Our website which will be live tomorrow is Jackpinewakesuf.com

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this thread.

Andrew
Jackpine Wakesurf
Attached Images

Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-07-2017, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideaNeversummer View Post
Here's an update, we have been busy all summer turning this project into a legitimate brand. That means logo development, sourcing apparel, and of course building boards and doing demos. We're finally at the stage of launching our website, which will go live tomorrow morning at 10:00 am. To celebrate were giving away some free stuff on our Instagram account @jackpinewakesurf. Our website which will be live tomorrow is Jackpinewakesuf.com

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this thread.

Andrew
Jackpine Wakesurf
Congrats! Less than a year and your making it into a company congrats man! You got your company on instagram yet>?
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-07-2017, 7:03 AM Reply   
nvm I see it!