Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (akowens)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-18-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
My family wants to pick up a new boat in the next few days. We've had a malibu sunsetter with a tower for years and it has served us well, but its time for a real wake machine. It's come down to this: 09 Super Air Nautique 210; 09 Malibu VLX; or an 09 Supra 21v (maybe even the 22ssv). The Malibu is the most expensive but we could get an amazing deal on it. Opinions? Comments about the wakes on these boats? anything is appreciated
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-18-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
There is a lot more interior room in the VLX over the 210 and 21V (side cushion to side cushion, rear bench seat to rear facing seat, and overall leg room). That was a big factor for me. I actually took a measuring tape with me to a boat show once. I don't like the seating arrangements in the SSV. Its to small inside, especially in the 22 foot boat. (my opinion only)

As far as wakes go, the more I read these forums and ride in other peoples boats, the more I think each boat's wakes may be slightly different, but it shouldn't be so different that you won't get used to it. Most of the time, I can't tell the difference in wakes anyways, but I'm not exactly a pro!

All three boats are quality and proven wake boats. In my opinion though, go with the VLX, especially with the "amazing deal."
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2009, 9:36 PM Reply   
All of those are good choices but I would probably lean to the VLX. Although I would imagine the 21v is significantly cheaper so that would maybe stear me towards that boat.

All are nice boats with great wakes.
Old     (akowens)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-18-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
thanks yall, the vlx is loaded but was a demo boat so they slashed a lot off of the price. love the seating in the nautique, but it feels stripped down compared to the vlx
Old     (akowens)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-18-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
also, i am worried that all the technology on the vlx (such as the maliview) may break and/or be unreliable
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
Andrew, I have that worry as well. I think there is something to be said for having tried and true gauges. If they break they cost less than $50 to replace. I don't even want to know how much a dealer will charge for a new LCD computer screen but I am guessing you could replace 20 gauges for the same price. In my opinion that stuff is all unnecessary. I also am a little worried about the Malibu switch controller things. Again with a standard toggle or rocker switch you are talking $10 to replace vs whatever they charge for one of those switch control units.

What is the warranty on the Malibu components? I am guessing it is 3 years. If you plan on owning the boat for longer than that then maybe this is a concern. If you are only going to keep for a couple of years then who cares.

All that being said the new VLX's are sick.

The Supra 21V is a little more basic unless they changed a bunch of stuff.

Also if you like the Supra 21v or 22ssv the dealer up here in Seattle has some leftovers for really good prices.

(Message edited by polarbill on September 18, 2009)
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-19-2009, 1:22 AM Reply   
I'm glad you mentioned the demo boat issue.

Being the proud owner of an unbelievable demo boat deal, I can tell you about a few things that have happened over the last year with my boat since buying it.

I bought a one year old demo boat with almost 200 hours on it. The Malibu wedge shorted out and broke, I had a weird gelcoat/fiberglass crack, and a console gauge broke also. Now, is that normal for a boat with 200 hours? Maybe. was that covered by warranty? Yes. Will that continue being covered by warranty for another 3 to 5 years? Hell ya.

All of the growing pains of having a new boat have been worked out mostly. AND YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW WARRANTY!!!

Get the VLX.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       09-19-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
I'd do the 22ssv fully loaded -except tower speakers so you could pick your own. You'd have a ton of cash leftover for gear and gas vs the malibu, and supra's wake is great even with just the stock GIII ballast. my .02
Old     (akowens)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-19-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
alright, we've basically decided that the malibu is indeed a very nice boat thats for sure, but its really just a little too flashy and techy for us. Going to look at a super air 210 and both of the supras today. super air 210 doesn't seem to have a ton of ballast but i have neard nothing but great things about its wake and everything else.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-19-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
I almost bought a Malibu VLX, it was a very nice looking boat, just too much bling for me. Not my style. I ended up buying a 210 Nautique and am very happy with it! The wake is awesome even with stock ballast.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-19-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
I agree with Bu Coo's wake comments. All the boats you are looking at have great wakes, I'm sure. IMHO wake is way overrated as a buying criteria. Whichever boat you get, you will learn to love its wake.

Focus on the stuff that matters most:

1) Exterior looks
2) Interior layout, dimensions, etc.
3) Budget

Between the three you mentioned I'd pick the VLX.

I prefer the exterior of the Malibu... it's hard to beat the '09 VLX with Illusion XS tower.

Malibu wins on interior. In fact it's not even close. They are so soft and comfortable. I don't like all the moving parts of the Nautique interior. And the rear bench in the Supra is very shallow with a very steep seat back.

As far as budget, only you know what you can afford. But it sounds like the deal is right on the VLX, so I'd hit it!

I think it's funny when people say, "The Malibu is too fancy, etc." If that's the worst thing you can say about a Bu, then it must be a pretty good boat.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-19-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
+1 ixfe
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-19-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Andrew - about the Supras. If you are really looking for a real wake machine the 08 21V can hide a 2250lbs with the 1150lb bag in front with 650lbs in the rear. The 09 21V will not hide the big front bag. Both the 09 and 08 are the same size boat as the 210 and VLX but the 21V is much deeper.

The 22SSV has the the best wake, IMO. It is the biggest 22 footer on the market. You can get the 09 22SSV with wrap around seating that really opens up the space or the standard tripple up seating. I keep 2650lbs all hidden in my set up. You should be able to pick up a 22ssv for less than the 210 or VLX and Indmar warranty
goes 4 years on Supra. Hope this helps

(Message edited by redsupralaunch on September 19, 2009)
Old     (jpaul)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-19-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
Base it on the dealer, which ever dealer has better service/reputation, and distance.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-19-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   
Ditto the dealer, they are your lifeline when you have any problems. I own an '08 Supra 22V (sunsport) and have put 130 hours on it this year and love it. I have three kids, and this boat is a great family wakeboard boat. SUPRA's throw a great wakeboard wake, and a good Surfing wake, especially if you put the larger 750's in the rear (1900 lbs of ballast). The Z-5 cargo rack is awesome, especially if you have kids and will have kneeboards/wakeboard/surfboards on the boat and wont have to walk all over them. The '09s have great swivel board racks (titan), and the ballast fill/drain system is much better than the '08s and older boats. They also dropped the dash gauge cluster down some on the drivers side to improve visibility. SUPRA uses Indmar powerplants (I have the 340 HP motor), which are top of the line.

I will say, I did have a couple issues, one with the motor (o2 sensor) and the other with the rudder and both have been taken care of by Indmar/Skiers choice. Skiers Choice seems to be backing up there product, and also offer a 4 year warranty which is really nice.

I say go with the SUPRA, you will get the best bang for your buck. Not knocking Malibu or Nautique, both of these are great boats. Just my .02 --- if you have any q's about SUPRA I did a lot of research before buying one, PM me and I can give you my cell #.

(Message edited by fman on September 19, 2009)

(Message edited by fman on September 19, 2009)
Old     (akowens)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-19-2009, 10:19 PM Reply   
update: we have narrowed it down to a super air nautique 210 and (yes this is random compared to my previous entries) a sanger v 215. This was introduced to us today and we liked it, but its new to us. Does anyone have any comments on this boat? The only thing it seems to have over the nautique is a lower price.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-19-2009, 10:24 PM Reply   
Buy a boat because of the dealer? It's important but buy a boat because you want it and just make sure the dealer is reputable. The manufacturers are all pretty good so if you have a problem with a new boat, you should have a recourse with them.

I'm a Nautique guy but say go with the Malibu. It has the most complete package right now IMO.
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-20-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
There are a lot of Sanger fans in here, and you never hear any real negative things about them, except possibly the low freeboard, but that is about it.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-20-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
You cant go wrong with any of the boats you are thinking about purchasing. Get out and drive them, they are all quality boats. It really will come down to what fits your riding and boating style. Fit and finish, options, colors, etc will also be something to think about. The SUPRA will come decked out (pullout heaters, upgraded stereo, larger ballast, Z5 cargo rack, swivel board racks, stainless cupholders, LED courtlights, PP Pro- programmable rider settings, wakeboard prop, 340 HP motor, adjustable wakeplate, retractable ski pylon) these are some nice options to compare to other boats. Make sure and hang on the tower and try and move it, I looked at a few different towers that were sketchy and did not seem solid.

This is like the Ford, Chevy and Dodge truck comparison.
Old     (akowens)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-20-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
sanger v215 it is. ill post some pics in a week, it's beautiful
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
Andrew glad you found the boat for you. Congrats on the new boat, go get some hours on that thing before the season is over, maybe your season never ends in TX?
Old     (akowens)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-20-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
thanks! next Saturday should be our first day on the river with the sanger. Our season ends mid to end of october...but then we just break out the wetsuits :-)
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-20-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Hey Andrew Congrats on the boat. We live in Sugarland to (Meadows Place). I assume you bought it from Water Sport Complex. James in the service dept is great and will take good care of you. We should hook up one weekend and hit the San Bernard.
Old     (akowens)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-20-2009, 8:57 PM Reply   
Yes, derrick sold it to us it was an awesome experience, he let me ride behind both the super air and the sanger. I'm 18 (senior in high school) and im usually just on the bernard with my family (dad, mom, little brother and sis). we have a house on the bernard and i love it on the river.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-21-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
We will look for ya next time. That is our main place to go. we put in at the 2004 bridge and head up river. Real smooth water by the train bridge and barge docking station.