Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
OK all you fine upstanding mechs and gearheads, here it is. '05 V230 Sanger with the black scorpion motor. Took it off the lift and drove it to the marina and filled it up. Started at the marina. Then we decided to splash in the cove real quick before heading out. Went to re-start and it cranked forever, but would not fire. Checked spark at distributor and it's good. Ether in the air cleaner and no pop or anything. Towed it home, 3 hours later just because, I tried to fire it on the hoist. Started right up! Checked connections etc. and left it alone. Next weekend I got bold and went out again (with a friend and his boat beside us)and it repeated this problem again. All I can think of is an electronic component is getting hot and poopin the bed. Cools off and decides to wake up. But what component? Anybody seen this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated guyz and galz. Scott
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Fuel pump/relay?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Vapor lock
Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
Fuel injected, so it shouldn't vapor-lock. Fuel pump relay, maybe but why not try to come alive with ether boost at the intake air cleaner?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2009, 5:29 PM Reply   
An EFI engine will vapor lock just like a carb engine
Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
Ok, I did not know this fact. But what about priming down the air intake? Shouldn't it try to start then?
Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
Does a half tank vs. a full tank make any difference? All summer we've been riding from 1/4 to 3/4 tank only because we play local. I filled it just before started acting up.
Old     (king_of_wake123)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-13-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
happened to my boat threw a new starter in it ran fine
Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Funny that you mention the starter. It went out 3 weeks ago and got replaced. I thought about the solinoid contact, but it appears fine. I was also thinking about ignition 1(start) and 2(run)but I can't see that being intermittent.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-13-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
Why would it be the starter if
"Went to re-start and it cranked forever, but would not fire. "
Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-13-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
No it.s not the starter. But to add to Alexs input, I had a starter solinoid not switch to the run state and died as soon as it went to complete the run circuit( past mud boggin Chevy). I thank all for playing, but I still have no "NEW" direction to go to. I'm not taking it to the dealer with only a couple of months of play time left. My focus us a heated component.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-16-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
Hot fuel rail causing vapour lock just like the Supras would be my guess. Use a wet towel to draw the heat out of the rail when it gets hot and won't start I bet it will fire up right away.
Old     (tuffenuff)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2009, 12:35 AM Reply   
Thanx Jos! This plays into the vapor lock issue that I was un-aware of with an injected system. I'm replacing the fuel filter before I splash it again, just because, but I will definitely follow your direction if it happens again.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-17-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
I lean toward some kind of fuel issue Vapor locking has not been a real problem as of late on ski boats. Fuel pump would be my suspect since it turns over and has spark but won't start
Old     (dirtysparks)      Join Date: May 2004       09-17-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
I had a similar issue on my malibu. Kill switch was bad or shorted out. I'm not sure about sanger, but on my boat the guages would die if the kill switch was engaged or tripped(in my case faulted) even with the key turned to the 'on' position. It would turn forever and not fire. I'd have to reset it by taking the key out then restart, the guages would set up and she would fire.