Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (2007apexse)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-06-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
Check out this newscast. This is a area just south of me. What are they thinking!!! Have any of you heard of carbon monoxide problems or even injury surfin'? They can't think of any else to stop....how about the drunks on the water that almost hit my boat!

http://www.klewtv.com/news/26012319.html
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-06-2008, 9:40 PM Reply   
I guarantee this comes from all of the big money retirees that live in ID who are complaining about the big wakes and finding ways to shut down all watersports. Wakesurfing is the easiest to shut down at this point.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-06-2008, 10:55 PM Reply   
article says by order of the prosecuting attorney's office. A little research came up with this info.

Prosecuting Attorney: Dan Spickler
Address: P.O. Box 1267
Lewiston, ID 83501
Phone: (208) 799-3073
anSpickler@co.nezperce.id.us">DanSpickler@co.nezperce.id.us

letter writing campaign? or maybe go above him and ask the Idaho Attorney General why laws are being considered under false pretenses.

Lawrence Wasden- Idaho Attorney General
http://www2.state.id.us/ag/about/contact.htm

(Message edited by CAskimmer on August 06, 2008)

(Message edited by CAskimmer on August 06, 2008)
Old    surfdad            08-07-2008, 4:53 AM Reply   
I think it's been addressed, already:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/607283.html?1218083696
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
when you say addressed do you mean that single incident was thrown out or the proposed law was removed? the former only addresses the effect not the cause.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-08-2008, 5:25 AM Reply   
Are there any nationwide stats on wakesurfing deaths?I was just wondering how many people actually died wakesurfing.I can't say that I have seen any reports on a wakesurf death,plenty on jet-ski deaths and they're not trying to stop the use of them.
Old    surfdad            08-08-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
It is my understanding that there have been no deaths attributable to wakesurfing. There is, however, considerable confusion of wakesurfing with teak surfing, by well-meaning but uninformed folks.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-14-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
"Another huge factor is the carbon monoxide issue where they have done a bunch of surveys across the United States on it and they're finding out that a lot of people being towed in that sport succumbing to carbon monoxide inhalation."

Where did they get the survey data? It is wonderful how the gov't is keeping us safe. They should make the law to state if you do it you are responsible for your actions.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-14-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
That's completely incorrect. The CO surveys that I've seen published indicate that there's more danger inside the boat than behind it; station wagon effect. According to a CDC report 10 feet back and 5 feet up the CO is pretty low.

Teak Surfing is very dangerous