Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
Anyone riding the 2010 Ibex? I rode a 139 which is a little small for me. (6'2", 200) early in the year but I was too rusty to really tell. Currenly on a Witness but looking for something with a little more pop. I know the 2010 Ibex is a lot tamer than the 09 model so just looking for some feedback.
Old     (redlinewatersports)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-15-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
For a bigger guy like you an 144 ibex would work great. One of our proshop guys is about your size (6', 210) and rides it and absolutely loves it. You're right about it being a lot tamer, they mellowed down the 3 stage and added an inch on the tip and the tail for more surface area so you don't need as much speed and effort to get off the wake. Sounding like a textbook is no fun so I'd say try to get your hands on one. Everything we've heard has been super positive and hopefully the more consistent rideability will help more people enjoy this board.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
I'm your size, 6'2 205 and I ride the 144. I love it, its popping me higher than I used to get on my old board, really smooth riding too. My only complaint is the binding mounting system. I have trouble getting the bindings flush onto the board and there are two pairs of screws at the bottom of the Cell bindings I ride which scrape the board, but its under the boots so it doesn't really bother me.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
thanks Anthony, what is your skill level? I've got my w2w 180's down and am working on hsfs and tsfs 3's.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-15-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Worst board ever!!!
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Lee, what did you not like about it?
Old     (HSE)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-15-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
I demoed the 144 in rough water and really liked it. I'm 5'5" about 175 lbs so I thought I might like the 139 better. Demoed that on a smooth day and didn't like it at all compared to the 144, haven't had access to the 144 to try again. My skill level is basic inverts and spins.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
Thanks Jim

I only know of one person in my area riding the board. He likes it but his skill level is below mine so I'm just not sure. No place to demo Ronix around my area.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
BJ,

I'm intermediate, I have hs back rolls down and wake to wake fs 180s, working on ts and hs 3's and a front roll.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-16-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
Any other comments about this board?
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-16-2010, 12:11 PM Reply   
Its rode so much like the old HL Parks boards to me. Felt like a turtle on the water, hitting the wake feels like hitting a wall. Just not into boards like that and to have a board that is for really advanced riders only is kinda point less. Honestly how many other pros ride the ibex? How many rode the parks boards? Somethings off as far as shaping goes. Im not saying that parks doesnt deserve his own board, but when it comes to marketing a board like that its pretty pointless concidering that i have never seen someone ride it. cable or boat.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-16-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
Lee, that's you opinion and you are entitled to that, but Parks' Hyperlite boards were some of the best selling boards of all time. I have put many sets on the 2008 Ibex and that board is great and does not feel that it is strictly geared towards the advanced rider. From my understanding, the 2010 is supposed to be more mellow than the 08-09, so IMO that means it should be even more friendly towards the beginner/intermediate rider.

Your argument towards how many pros riding the Ibex proves nothing. How many pros do you see riding the Watson Hybrid or the S4 or the Shane or the Lyman, or the Vandall, etc? That has no bearing on whether a board is good or not, otherwise there would be one specific model dominating the scene.

Personally, I think your "worst board ever" comment was kind of lame.
Old     (ache_for_wake)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-18-2010, 10:47 PM Reply   
I'd have to agree with Jeremy. Boards vary a lot and what works for one person may or may not work for another. I've been riding an "06 Hyperlite Parks for four years and absolutely love it. I'm anxious to try the new Ibex because I think it will be similar.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-19-2010, 5:42 AM Reply   
I upgraded from an older Parks to the Ibex and absolutely love it. I am no expert by any means but it seems like it breaks loose really easy and is just a very fun board all around.
Old     (rbrandon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-19-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
I ride an 08 144 and I loved it. It's a very fun board just edge in hard and explode off the wake. I am 6ft3 240 and the board carrys me well. But I am thinking about an upgrade... Rode a 2010 Conspiracy 56 and a Monarch 56 the other day and they were both awesome.