Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-02-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
I tried to search the discussion board, but can't seem to find the best setup for wakesurfing behind an 05 X2. Any ideas?

We tried, full port side, full center ballast, then a 350lbs in the back port side vdrive compartment, 400 in the middle bow/over center ballast and another 250 on the bow seats on the port side. Then one driver and one observer. We could ride the wake, it worked, but wasn't very long and seemed to curl too soon.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
I've never surfed a X2 but I'd suggest emptying the center ballast and adding more weight (if possible) further up the bow and the back corner. Like I said I've never been in a X2 but in my general experience filling the center ballast has a negative effect on the wake's shape.
Old     (speez)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
on our 02 xstar (same boat) i am able to easily cruise around with just the starboard locker, center bag, and about 360 lbs of people + driver on the starboard side. i definitely would like to add more weight, thinking about another 400 near the back and similar amount in the front to begin with, but so far i have been able to run with just the stock ballast.

what speed were you riding at?
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-02-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for the ideas. We were riding at 10.3, which was a good wake, but I want a longer wake and I would like to go a little slower like 9.8 or so. Tomorrow we will not fill the center ballast and throw more weight in the back and bow. Will let you guys know what happens. Hope to have some pics too.
Old     (deucef16)      Join Date: May 2006       07-02-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
We get a great surfable wake on our 05 X-2 by filling a single back locker (the wake is nice on both the port & starboard), filling the center ballast, plus @200 lbs up on the surf side bow seats, and @250 lbs as far back as we can get. We also usually have around 2-3 people to arrange along the middle seats on the surf side.

We set @10.5 mph on PP and turn very slightly into the wake. The wake is very nice and adding more people to the front makes it even longer. Our current board is a little slow for a longer wake, but we will be fixing that problem soon.

You may try putting your additional center ballast on the surf-side seats rather than on the floor.

Good luck.
Old     (rosensurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-12-2007, 10:39 PM Reply   
I had an 05 X2 and tried for two summers to get a surfable wake, tried zillions of ballast configurations and never got a nice wake with decent sized sweet spot. Noticed my buddies Centurion Lightning C4 always had a great wake for surfing, so I sold the X2 and got a Lightning C4 2 months ago. I think the key is getting a boat with a deep V hull that carves a clean long wake. The flat bottom boats like the X2 create a very steep wake that has no length to the sweet spot. My advice ... sell the X2.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-13-2007, 6:16 AM Reply   
in my experience the mastercrafts require ALOT of weight..i have been on friends x-1, x-2, and x-45...

my most recent experience was on a friends x-2 at havasu..it took nearly 1200lbs in the rear, 400lbs in the nose,alot of pop products bags along the side, and alot of peeps..

dont sell your x-2... it is a great boat !!!!

the result was a really nice big clean wake(about 3 1/2' tall)

(Message edited by clubmyke on July 13, 2007)
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-13-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Not sure why everybody is having a hard time with the X-2. We used to surf with just stock ballast. Here is our current set up for a port side wake; removed port side hard tank and replaced it with a 750 fat sac. Underneath the side port seat is a 370 fat sac that I have connected to the starboard pump. Full center ballast and 180 in the bow. I get a good sweet spot and my kids can surf from the back of the boat to the foam. Here is a picture of our wake.Upload
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-13-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Roy right on. We are still dialing it in a bit. But I think we are almost there. We use the port side ballast, plus 400 lbs sack on top, 350 lbs sack in the front, and 250 lbs on the port side seat, plus 3 adults. Here is a pic of the wake.
Upload

Ed - if we were only into wakesurfing, we might look at a different boat. Centurion makes great wakesurf boats (Mark's Sher's boat and Jeff Page's boats are awesome), but so is the new X-2 and X-Star and a 40ft bayliner for wakesurfing. Malibu and Tige' also have decent surf wakes. Sorry, but Centurion isn't the ONLY and BEST wakesurf boat around, it is on the list though.

Thanks for the help guys. Taking out the center ballast really helped length the wake.

Keep on Wakesurfing (and wakeboarding)
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2007, 4:24 AM Reply   
I was just out last night on my new X1, I am still trying to dial in the wake as well. We went with stock rear port ballast, plus a 440 in that locker, a 440 in the ski locker and about 600lb bag on the port side seats(not full). It was just me, the wife and the dog. Wake was great but I think it can get better. I want to try moving the center ballast to the front. Oh.. we also had cruise set to 10mph.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2007, 6:03 AM Reply   
If you want a longer wake, you need to get more weight in the bow of the boat. I'm very pleased with the wake we get with this hull. Do you have three stock ballast pumps on your boat. If yes, we changed are starboard pump to assist in filling and draining some of the ballast on the port side.
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2007, 6:43 AM Reply   
I just have the factory rear ballast, so I assume just two pumps. Also, they seam to run slow, they time out twice before the tanks get full, and the starbord side is a little slower than the port. I was planning on putting a sack up in the bow, but I don't think my pump is long enough to reach from the acc. plug in the back, up to the front.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-26-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
You can alwasy add a new acc plug up front. Heres one. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/114338/377%20710%201621/0/Switches,%20Fuses%20/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/30/0?N=377%20710%201621&Ne=0&Ntt=Switches,%20Fuses%20 &Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLe vel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=null&subdeptNum=nul l&classNum=null
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
There should be an ac plug underneath the dash on the driver side.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-26-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
There's another one by the back bench. Two total. Must have been designed by wakeboarders!!
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-27-2007, 5:13 AM Reply   
We are going out tonight. I am going to try the following:
stock port ballast + 440 sack
600 sack on port bench
440 in bow, port side

I will have a driver, two people and dog in boat while surfing. Were should we put them?
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
All on the port side. I usually site the passangers on the sack on the bench and one on the back pad on the port side.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-04-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Ok, I think we finally have our setup.

Stock port rear
Stock mid
4 80lb pop bags in the port rear
4 80lb pop bags in the port bow

Upload
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-06-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Bsflower, we also have 2 40lb pop bags on the floor of the boat alongside the port bench.

We've been riding at various speeds between 10.7 and 11.2. Faster makes a longer wake but a little more challenging for us to stay in the wake.

The wake yesterday and today was very sweet. Better, in fact, than when we had all those fat sacs. (A 400 in the rear, a 400 in the bow, and a 250 in the center?) I gotta figure that there's a way to position all those fat sacs so that the wake's better, but this stock+pop bags is making a very nice wake and is very easy to set up.

(Message edited by eaglejackson on September 06, 2007)
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       09-07-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
I have the same boat, If i were to fill the stock portside tank, throw in a 500# sac next to it, fill the stock center, and throw a 300# on the portside front seats, how nice would my wake be?
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-07-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
D04, that's more weight than I have in mine (though less than we've tried at times) so should be good. You might experiment with placement as well as have some additional weight available for the bow. I've found that the boat likes weight in the front, approaching 50/50 for weight beyond stock ballast. More weight in the front makes a longer wake; more in the back makes it taller and peakier.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
Same hull here. Last time out we ran the following, (port side):
400# v-drive sac in engine compartment (replaced stock tank).
250# side sac under port seats.
stock ski locker sac
250# side sac on bow seats (port side)
integrated bow sac under bow seats, 200# approx.
260# lead on bow floor.

With that set up and a spotter, the wake was good. The next day we had one more person and the wake was not so good, so I added about 150# to the starboard side engine sac, and the wake was back to being good.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
It will be nice but nicer if you put weight in the bow.