Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (rediro2h)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-07-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
I've heard rumors circulating for a few years about cable parks being possibly planned for differnt places in souther california, does anyone know the story on that?
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-07-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
i don't know about socal but a friend of mine is thinking about opening one in norcal
Old    pdawg            08-07-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
i think that a cable park in so cal is a great idea, one in so cal and nor cal, we have been talking about opening one up but we are trying to decide a good location for the first one, either the norther or the southern region, we are not sure, let me know what you think would be the best spot, not by saying it would be best where you live but the best for everyone to get to in a prime location. we are talking very serious about it.

let me know what you guys think would be the best cause we want to start digging the lake,

thanks,
perry richmond
Old    norcalz71            08-07-2004, 4:11 PM Reply   
outside sacramento is prolly prime location for a norcal site? cheap land and centrally located.
for socal, san luis obispo would be perfect, just get it setup within a year or two so i may enjoy it while at college.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-07-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
slo is not socal
Old     (dannyg)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-07-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
yaeh somewhere in the riverside/corona area would be a good socal spot
Old     (guitartguy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-07-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
We're looking at land in Ventura county for the same project
Old     (rediro2h)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-07-2004, 10:40 PM Reply   
thanks for the responses, if anyone is serious about digging one, contact me, I'd like to throw around some ideas and get involved.
-ryan
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-08-2004, 12:54 AM Reply   
imo, it will NEVER happen in socal. reason being, socalians are the biggest sue-happy people in the nation. think about the insurance this park would need to carry. not only would they need a humongous liability coverage, but they would need to set part of the premium towards a legal defense team for those seeking compensation for injuries.

all of that, with or without waivers. you know lawyers here don't give a rat's ass about waivers.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-08-2004, 2:53 AM Reply   
You forgot about the cost of land. Its extremely rare to find a vast lot in SoCal and if you do it will be very expensive. However people are sue-happy where ever you go.
Old    akman            08-08-2004, 5:23 AM Reply   
Land, water, and insurance are the 3 reasons it won't happen any time soon.

Land and water are at a premium right now.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-08-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
Actually insurance is also at an all time high. From what I've heard cable parks have been classified under the "Amusement Park " Category for Insurance Liability
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-08-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
If I was investing in a cable park, my first question would be where the revenue stream is coming from. At OWC it seems like a day with 20 riders hitting the one cable is pretty crowded. That means you've got a pretty decent wait between rides. Seems tough to make ends meet when you've got this huge facility dedicated to the enjoyment of 20 people at a time. I realize they also have a shop, rentals, concessions, etc., but it still seems like it would be tough to make ends meet, especially in So Cal where the land is so expensive. What am I missing?
Old    aquadocs            08-08-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_gx.asp?cpx=-117.15878895&cpy=33.79022679&res=8&provider_id=305 &t=pan

Check out this lake in Nuevo California, its about 2o minutes from canyon lake. It is currently holding reclaimed water. What if it could be bought or leased? I think it used to be a ski lake.
Old    aquadocs            08-08-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
with the oening of the TSR and the new cable park in Kansas. I would definately be setting a meeeting with the developers and operators of these places including OWC. I would think they would be willing to help with info.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-08-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
Dave, you also forgot to mention that OWC has 3 separate lakes for sliders, boats & others and caters to H2O Skiiers as well Wakeboarders .

Cort - you can speak to the other cable owners all you wish, but the bottom line for CA cable park to exist is $$$$ for land and insurance liability.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-08-2004, 1:04 PM Reply   
Just put it at lake delores! Man, I always wanted to go there when I was a kid.
Old    pdawg            08-08-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
money is not a problem here that is the last thing i am worried about, i will digg five lakes if i have to, i will make it as big as it needs to be to acomidate a whole lot of riders you guys dont sound to pumped to have one in cali. i know california is an expensive place i grew up there and i realize how much it is going to cost.
Cort- i will have to check out that lake.
i appreciate the input from everyone else, thanks
let me know some other good locations.
Old    wsrmatt            08-08-2004, 9:31 PM Reply   
I think it would be sick to have and wouldnt insurance be kinda the same as having a dirt bike track or having a skatepark. I cant see why it would be any different. I heard through the grapevine about a month ago that Chris Williams went on some houseboat trip with Tommy Lee and some other guy worth 1.5 billion and theyve been working on some kinda extreme sports park having two cable parks in the mix with skate, surf, bmx, 50,s mx and i forget what other stuff and having a club there and band venue and all. my buddy found out was that they hired some real estate guy and i havent heard since. my buddy see's chris sometimes over by tommy lees house cuz they have a track there and chris and tommy always cruise over and hang out so ill tell him to ask whats new. anybody know whats up or heard about that? he said it sounded like it was for real though. Tommy mentioned it one other time when Chris wasnt there too.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-08-2004, 10:40 PM Reply   
graves is that you. if it is what up man, chris has said a few things to me bout this whole shpeal. dont remember what he said though. jus remember him mentioning it,
Old    aquadocs            08-08-2004, 11:27 PM Reply   
no kidding its going to cost more in Socal. Everythindg does. I'm sure we will pay more to use it. A year membership at TSR is like 700.00 in cali it will be at least a 1000.00.
Old    wsrmatt            08-09-2004, 12:24 AM Reply   
I think you got the wrong guy Jason. Theres some surfer guy whos in my town alot that works at our local surf shop that i think you might be thinking of. Anyway everybody i ran into Chris Williams tonight at a super moto 50 race (50's but on street with street tires) that my buddies brought me to and him and his buddies were all racing but what i wanted to say is i got to hear alot of whats going on and some things he couldn't and wouldnt say. I seriously cant wait from the stuff i heard. It sounds like disneyland for extreme sports and when i say disneyland im not joking. He told me alittle bit about whats up about the cable park and its gonna be awesome. Thats a understatement. He only told me alittle bit and i heard some more from some guy at the race. Not sure if hes gonna come on here and let out what theyve been up to for the past few months so im not gonna say it but sounds like its gonna change wakeboarding all around. All im gonna say is i feel bad for normal cable parks cuz thier gonna be way way behind. Normal cable parks are gonna have to rebuild thier whole places to keep up. Haha. And for all the other sports, WOW, thier just as far ahead of everything else as the cable park is gonna be. Alot of new stuff nobodies ever seen in a public place and things most people havent gotten to see yet. And supposedly Tommy Lee and him are close friends and Tommy has nothing to do with the whole project except for maybe the night club side of things. Some other guy I forgot his name is working with Chris. I am assuming is its going to not be like Woodward or PointX with camps and stuff but more like going to Disneyland for the day but with action sports.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-09-2004, 1:16 AM Reply   
A year membership @ OWC is 1000.00. That would lead me to believe that the cost would be prohibitive for
young adults trying to survive on their own in CA.
Old    wsrmatt            08-09-2004, 2:02 AM Reply   
Hey guys i forgot to mention but when i asked Chris about location he said his busniess partner is taking care of everything with the business and law side of things but they have found a few cities between Los Angeles and San Diego that allow for needed well water rights and something about the water table. Then also he said something about city halls and most cities dont allow for water parks(which a cable park is considered or something). I think a cable park should be allowed to be in any city they want. That seems kinda stupid. Then again though i know nothing about laws and insurance stuff.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-09-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
A year or so ago I know the guys at Wakesports Unlimited were trying to get a cable park opened in So Cal (orange county). I'm not sure what happened with it though.

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
Perfect spot would be the closed El Toro Marine base in Central Orange County. Next to the Irvine Spectrum one of the busiest entertainment shopping complexes in OC. Right off the 5 - 405 interchange and near all the major toll roads.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
Plus OC in relation to other counties in SoCal is central to Riverside, LA and San Diego counties.
Old    cdubs            08-09-2004, 11:18 AM Reply   
Hey guys haven't been on the computer in awhile and noticed this topic. Sounds like some word is out bout the project weve been working on for awhile. We'll what you heard from Matt for the most part is true but old news now. I cant talk about whats current but if everything keeps going through this place will be INSANE......
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
Hey guys Chris and I are the best of friends so i get to hear all the downlow. My view is, "GOD IS GOING TO GET MAD BECAUSE THEY ARE RECREATING HEAVEN." HAHA. And for the cable park, its a dream, just way ahead of thier time with what they got going. Peace
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-09-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   

quote:

i get to hear all the downlow.

shouldn't it be "lowdown" and you're keeping it on the "downlow"?

just kidding man!

actually, i want the cable park to happen in socal. it's almost impossible to get consistent pulls down here...unless you're a chick! and it's nothing against boat owners...they're pretty much set in their crews. and with good water being so limited, i understand why they want to keep the size of their crew down to a minimum. so, the cable park would be a great alternative for those like me who doesn't have a boat and wants to ride all the time!

(Message edited by dakid on August 09, 2004)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-09-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
You wouldn't be messin' with us now would you, CDubs? Sounds awesome, but I'm still buyin' lotto tickets, just in case.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-10-2004, 7:10 AM Reply   
Chris, between you and Perry, it looks like we have a cable park in the future here in So Cal, I think it would be awesome and great for the sport of wakeboarding! We sooo need another venue in this area. And the way it sounds, we could do a VTC worlds event out here.(not to mention the pro stops..... YAY!! ( I hear that one of the pro stops next year is going to be at lower castaic) Irvine is out.