Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    boarder_punk_            05-31-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
just curious, i have a 2003 HO Sports Revelation 135 board and was wondering what HO stood for...also i've heard that HO was a branch off of Hyperlite?? anyone know anything about this?
Old    shiftywakeskate            05-31-2004, 10:41 PM Reply   
all i know is that HO sports stands for HIGH OUTPUT SPORTS. i think its more of a water ski division of hyperlite but now they have 1 or 2 wakeboards
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-31-2004, 10:45 PM Reply   
HO stands for "Herb O'Brien," who founded the company. Hyperlite actually started as an off-shoot of HO in the early 90s, but now I believe Hyperlite is bringing in most of the money. Paul O'Brien runs Hyperlite and is Herb's son. Herb is retired. At one point, there was a detailed history available on Hyerlite's website, but I don't know if it is still there. HO is well known for producing three-event competition skis (slalom, etc.). They produce a limited amount of wakeboard gear with the HO name instead of Hyperlite, and it looks to be very similar. If you like your board, then it is probably the same quality as a Hyperlite board.
Old    boarder_punk_            05-31-2004, 11:43 PM Reply   
thanks for the info...yea i've noticed similarities between the designs of my board and those of hyperlite boards, and my board has treated me very well so far.
Old    leggester            06-01-2004, 6:24 AM Reply   
Doc, you're wrong. HO literally mean High Output.

O'Brien couldn't use the O'Brien name after selling to Coleman years ago.

And yes, we all know what it 'really' stands for.

(Message edited by leggester on June 01, 2004)
Old    boarder_punk_            06-01-2004, 9:08 PM Reply   
so then is hyperlite really a branch of HO or not?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-01-2004, 9:19 PM Reply   
Yes HL was a branch off of HO
Old    blind5            06-01-2004, 11:04 PM Reply   
I think HO stands for Herb O'brien, could be wrong, prove it.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-01-2004, 11:42 PM Reply   
Matt, same difference in my mind and in the minds of most folks I've known over the years, but I appreciate you for pointing out the technical distinction.
Old    boarder_punk_            06-02-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
alright, here's an email i got back from HO's headquarters:

Kyle-

Thanks for your interest. Hyperlite is a branch of the HO company, which was founded in 1981 by Herb O'Brien (which is what the HO stands for). If you have any other specific questions please don't hesitate to write back. Thanks!

Ashley Johnson

Customer Service Representative

HO Sports / Hyperlite Wakeboards

Phone : 1-800-938-4040

Fax : 425-867-5327

Old    blind5            06-02-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
hey, thanks
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-02-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
The same company makes Hyperlite wakeboards, HO waterskis, tubes, kneeboards, etc...
All built at the same place..or was. Now most HO is Asia made.
Old    joe49er            06-03-2004, 5:28 AM Reply   
Kind of like CWB = Connelly = tubes & skis.

All the same, mostly in Asia.