Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-27-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
I want to hook up my i-pod to a Sony deck, right now I'm using a RCA cable and the Aux input. I would like to use my head unit or the wired remote to scroll through the songs on the I-pod. Ice Link=$200, is there a cheaper option and where do you get it?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-28-2005, 4:46 AM Reply   
I hook an i-pod to my sony deck with an $4 RCA cable that I bought at Radio Shack.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-28-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
George, I think you missed the part about controlling it through the deck. First off, does Sony even offer an Ipod interface? I am sure they will all be doing it someday, but Mbrown is your deck compatible? Dennison products are pretty good for the money.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-28-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
There are a number of Ipod interfaces that make the Ipod mimic the CD changer. To use the Ipod you have to create playlists that are named EXACTLY what the interface is looking for, usually something like CD1, CD1, CD3, etc. Then the stereo deck thinks it is talking to the various CDs in the changer. It works, but you can't randomly search for songs or play anything that wasn't in a play list.

There are stereo decks that have a dedicated IPOD interface that works much better. Alpine, Kenwood and I believe Pioneer have them, and there might be others as well. I installed an Alpine CDE-9845 in a car and it is awesome! The Ipod is stashed away in the glove box and I can control all the Ipod functions through the Alpine head unit: title search, artist search, playlists, shuffle, etc.

If Alpine had a wired remote I would install it in my boat in a heartbeat!

Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
Eric i think you meant Dension, took me a while searching the name out but here is a link for anyone interested. www.densionusa.com
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-03-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
You can also buy them (denison) at Best Buy.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       10-03-2005, 12:32 PM Reply   
There is an ICE Link interface for Sony, but I keep hearing about far less expensive options. I just don't have any specifics.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       10-03-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
I have upgraded to a bit nicer Sony deck on my VLX so I could still use the remote control but have an aux line off the deck for my Ipod.

I use the remote for controlling the volume and the source…. CD,TUNER,AUX. It does not control my Ipod functions.

With the arm rest/ hinged access on the VLX…. Getting to the deck is a bit of a PITA if you ask me… especially if you are thinking of doing it while driving! I have a power cord that is long enough that I can set my Ipod on the dash… easy to change out play lists or hit the FF to skip a song.

Ice link??? Anyone have info on this?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-03-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
I have an alpine in my car, love it, control the ipod from the dash, all around nice set up. In the boat I have the aux in to the stereo, but in the boat I think that this is better, because with a 6ft cable you get the ipod behind the driver, or next to the driver, and whoever can changes songs and what not. so my vote is no on the ice link, just not worth it.