Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
ABILENE, Texas * Tigé has developed the LifePlus core stringer system, a patented all-composite grid structure, and will include it on all 2004 models, which will be backed with a lifetime warranty, the company announced in a recent press release.
The LifePlus Core system creates a hull structure that is 300 percent stronger than conventional two-stringer composite design, according to the company.
The LifePlus Core stringer matrix system is made of a high-density closed-cell foam material that is injection-molded and engineered to fit precisely into the hull, filling strake and chine cavities and creating 300 percent more contact area within the hull and floor.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
Where can the press release be found?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-23-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
If you can't beat them (with marketing and warranty), join them.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-23-2003, 4:46 PM Reply   
Could be mostly a weight issue.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-23-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
Or a cost issue. I assume that XL Paneling is more expensive than foam. Or even a combination of marketing pressure, cost, and weight. Boat manufacturers don't make such major changes for simple reasons.

Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2003, 7:49 PM Reply   
When I went on a factory tour back in June, Tony showed me the new composite stringer system. They made many prototypes before getting it just right and the design they came up with felt really solid on the water. I think they grew weary of all the naysayers even though they never once had a single problem whatsoever with the XL panel.

I know Tige would never say this so I will. "Shut your piehole about the wood... we ain't got no stinkin wood in our boats."
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-23-2003, 8:15 PM Reply   
I am kinda with Blabelmooch on this one. The wood in the Tige makes it one heavy arse boat. I just got a look at a new 22ft v drive by tige. Very nice boat, but the owner said it weighs somewhere around 4000 pounds without the trailer. WOW. On the other hand the wake was enormous.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2003, 8:44 PM Reply   
I believe it is about 4300 pounds. All I know is mine does take a lot of gas, but the wake is awesome too! I'll take the trade off.

Kevin, are you going to start ripping Tige because they DON'T have wood?

It will be interesting to see the new hulls with the new paneling and compare to the wood stringers. The wood is heavier, but it makes it great in rough water.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2003, 9:06 PM Reply   
No overall I see it as a good thing for Tige...It does make it hard to rip them since they are catching up ....just kidding.
It always amazes me all the marketing hype about how superior wood is until they make the move to composite.....because there composite system is better than everyone else's. IT was the same story when Supra, Malibu and CC did it in the early 90's
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
I could be wrong, but I have never read any marketing material that hypes wood over composite with Tige. They spend more time defending it then anything. I don't think you can jump to conclusions that they made the switch because composite is supposedly better than wood. It could be weight, cost, etc.

It will be interesting to see what the reason is for the change.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2003, 9:24 PM Reply   
I heard about this from the mechanic at our Tige dealership a couple of weeks ago. He seemed to be under the impression the change was due to consumers being skeptical of wood stringers and losing sales because of it. So Tige decided to take the wood out of the consumers equation. Personally I like the wood and will be interested to see how the new ones ride in comparison.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2003, 10:05 PM Reply   
I don't think I ever saw it in writing either.
It was any tine you talked to a salesperson the
way they would defend the wood was saying it was superior stronger stiffer heavier better ride....that all comes from the true or not it come from the marketing people...Any way after all the talk about the wood in their boats on this and other boards I thought it was interesting. The title of the thread was just to get attention
Old    callaway            07-24-2003, 6:55 AM Reply   
Whats up guys,

I live in Abilene where the Tige factory is and saw an article on this in the local newspaper and saved it, I thought about posting it but never got around to it, (BTW I think this is a great step for Tige and I love the boats and feel they are extremely well made!) anyways here is a link to the article for anyone interested: http://www.reporter-news.com/abil/nw_business/article/0,1874,ABIL_7948_2105609,00.html

-Callaway
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
The most interesting part of that story is the news that Tige is developing an "entry-level" boat line with prices that seem to be in the Moomba neighborhood. It will be called "Switch."

It also says that this "revolutionary" new line will not have plywood. It does not say anything about dropping the use of wood in the current boat lines, described as the Riders Edition and the Limited Edition. That does not necessary prove anything one way or the other, however.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-24-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
it actually looks like they are keeping the wood in their upper line of boats and taking the wood out in the lower. wood more expensive?
Old    tbarrett            07-24-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
The construction method that will be used will apply to all of the models. The Switch line will address the first time boat buyer and I think that it will give Skiers Choice some competition in that area. The running surface of the Switch is based off of the 20V. Wakes and performance are very impressive.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-24-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
Sounds like a very smart marketing move. If those boats can be bought for $25k and can put out a wake similar to the 20V, that would be incredible.
Old    tbarrett            07-24-2003, 10:25 AM Reply   
The dealers do not have pricing as of today. The Switch models will be a direct drive and a v drive. As far as price goes we want the boat to be in the same price area as Skiers Choice. I have driven both models and I think they are home runs for Tige. The new Convex hull and TAPS2 are incorporated into this line as well so the wakes will be well received.
Old    tige_joe            07-25-2003, 9:07 PM Reply   
Well.....For all you "nay-sayers"......Charlie Pidgeon (Owner/President/CEO) has said for years, that when he could build a boat that was structurally stronger, vibration absorbing, and quiet riding, as wood floors and stringers....he would change. The type of core material that is going into the new Tige's is a product which is a combination of extremely high density foam, carbon, and glass fibers. It will be used for stringers, floor, and bulkheads. It is found in many of todays Penske race cars. That is how confident Tige is in this material....and the unique way it will be layed up into the hull of the boat.
As for me...I am proudly on my 6th Tige....and can't wait for the new ones to be released! I already have a small piece of the core material at home, and have shown a few of my friends. They are as excited as me of changes the company is going to be making.
At least when the changes are made.....we can all pick a new subject to argue over....like engines, props, or boat graphics. All the manufacturers make a good product somebody. Everyone's needs and desires are different. That's the cool thing of having so many to choose from! Bottom line is....having a great day on the water....no matter what you are in.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-26-2003, 12:25 AM Reply   
Got to hand it to Tige for not standing still.
Last year, they tried to solve the wood thing with the $10K warranty. This year, the design out the wood.

A low cost wakeboard specific v-drive could clean up the market. If I had a boat company, I would build just the one boat and sell two versions: regular and team.
Old    skionone            07-26-2003, 8:19 AM Reply   
Well then you would just be doing what Correct Craft does
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-11-2003, 3:11 PM Reply   
anyone have any info on the 20 switch? Hull compared to the 20v and what is missing to bring the cost down? Any Pics ??
Old    nick360            08-11-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   
Greg,

I've been looking forward to seeing the Switch V myself. I've seen some pics of the Switch I from my local dealer, but not much from the V.

From what I understand, the running surface will be almost identical (if not identical) to the 20v, and construction of the Switch series will be identical to the rest of the line. It appears that the differences will be made to the components of the boat; vinyl and seat cushions not quite as thick, less expensive dash/gauges/switches, less expensive stereo, seating won't be as contoured and a more simple design, less expensive tower, etc, etc. Also, I don't think you will have as many color/graphic options to customize the boat.

It should be pretty cool. We may look at getting one, once we see it in person.