Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-20-2007, 3:45 AM Reply   
Ok, so i've been watching so so many wakeboarding dvd's lately. i got ten free ones with my new board.
i feel like i have them all now. I've been loving murrays sections in them all.

If you'd asked me a year ago what my favourite of his was i would have said 'Pre Pop'..it was and prolly still is my favourite section ever. But man his second section in switch 22 is sick, i love his section in Counterfeit This....

Whats yours...?

And if murray reads this, please chime in with your own personal favourite.

CHEERS
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-20-2007, 5:18 AM Reply   
counterfeit this.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-20-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
Counterfeit......I think the new Drive video will be awesome as well. Shaun by far is one of my favorites to watch. He likes to go Big! A lot of the new riders are focusing more on techinical.....such as how many spins they can do. Which is all good. The only thing about tech moves...they just don't seem as much fun to watch. Shapiro, Nunn...all the big air dudes....that is good video material. Just my opinion.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-20-2007, 6:10 AM Reply   
I really like most of his sections. Favs are Daily dose and All or Nothing
Old     (btr1)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-20-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
I will have to go along with Counterfeit this as probably my favorite although all his sections and especially watching Shaun in person are awesome. He just has so much fun. He has been my favorite rider since first coming on the scene because of his positive attitude and how he loves entertaining and meeting people...oh yeah and hes also got skills...

Hey Britt, nice name by the way
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-20-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
Counterfeit This
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-20-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Oh man this is easy for me - FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH with the Millencolin song "Bullion." Those were the days!
Old     (redlinewatersports)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-20-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
Counterfeit This, hands down...
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
12 honkeys, and counterfit this!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-20-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
WTF Does nobody remember MY HOUSE? That vidoe is awesome great cast of characters in the video too.

Ricky Gonzales
Scott Byerly
Randy Harris
Matt Staker
Greg Nelson
Daniel Harf (I think this is his first video)
Lauren Harf
Brian Kennedy
JD Webb (fist video)
Chase Heavener
Cobe Mikacich
Scott Jobe
Collin Wright
Shaun Murray
Gregg Necrason
Shawn Watson
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-20-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
Murray has a great section in Mayday...all kinds of BIG grabbed double ups and tech tricks.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-20-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
I was going to say Mayday too, he rides to the Bloodhound Gang & Vanilla Ice song. Nice!!!

I will agree with Britt (#2) that watching him from the boat is incredible! Years ago right after he won the X-games he came out to TWC. I asked him to do a Whirly 5 and he obliged. Thanks Shaun!
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-20-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
My house is still one of my favorite videos of all time. I used to watch it at least twice a day. The soundtrack was awesome too. Swimming in Sand, West Side Riot, etc. Man that is a good video
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       12-20-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
"For what its worth" and the "ditch" scene in Metronome?(I think) are my fav's, with counterfeit this coming a close 3rd.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-20-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
Pre Pop! He wrecks it!

Love All or Nothing too. His section after the credits is great. Love the slow music, and the slow Heel 7 off the DU.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-20-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
What was the one where Shaun was riding the Indian Line at the Cable Park on double skis while wearing a shorty wetsuit? That was hilarious!! I want to say The Faction.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-20-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
Yeah the Faction. That was awesome.
Doesn't he do a backroll of the Double too?
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-20-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
12 Honkeys...He became an actor and he became my kids' idol.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
All or Nothing...I love the spinning in that section. Plus, he has some monster double ups, to the sound of an orchestra. Can't beat that.
Old    murrayair            12-20-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
I like his second section in All or Nothing. I think that's the one where he tries a KGB 7 and almost sticks it. His parts in shaft and shafted are great as well.
Old    K.B.C.            12-20-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
Mayday
Old     (woundedknee)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-20-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
MAYDAY fer sure
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-20-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
OK so I will have to make a sweeping generalization and say switch 22 is the best wakeboarding movie ever. if not ever, then in WSR history. I'll say switch 22. ...
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-21-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
I like the opening of detention, he looks like he could not be having more fun. the opening to his section of pre pop is hilarious

(Message edited by blind on December 21, 2007)
Old     (wakeboardchamp43)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-21-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Pre-Pop was the 1st wake video I watched and probably my favorite. What was cool, was that after I saw that video, I went to the Seattle boat show and Murray was there. I got to talk to him for a while about the video, which was sick. I am going to have to say pre-pop was his best overall video.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-21-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
you guys have all seen this one eh? http://dpcfilms.com/VideoPlayer.asp?i=110
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-21-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
All of Detention. I know it's an instructional, but it is so Murray.

Bowling scene from Six Pack was hilarious, thank you Parks.

(Message edited by Socalwakepunk on December 21, 2007)
Old     (lfwrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-21-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
Mayday
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-21-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
I wish Shaun would post up and let us know which one was his favorite!
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-21-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
wow, what a cool thread to read! thanks everybody for even taking the time to not only watch the videos but also writing about them.
For me, it's hard to say because when I watch a video I think of what went into it for the most part.
Like the section in For What it's Worth was a short amount of time from what I remember, but I will never forget when I did that line of tricks for the first time, I was seriously dizzy after them.
when i think of mayday I think of powell and how awesome all the colors are there and it really shows in the video. I also think of the politics and clicks that were there, but honestly wasn't aware of how bad it was until years later.
In that movie were some of the first indy glide/new glide style tricks that I did. Doing the 7 and then Byerly backing it up with a ts7 was awesome.
I did the first heel9 on that trip. that was a whole other thread.

I love working with Ronn and Brooks from Sidewayz cuz they have so much passion to make a good movie that is entertaining and has top notch quality. 12 honkeys, switch, switch 22 were all alot of fun.
I just went to Panama with Ronn and we were talking about my first "acting gig" as Joey BagOdonuts.
I put in more riding than any other movie into All Or Nothing, I think? I think I filmed for over a year, which is pretty common, but filmed a lot! I think that is why I had two sections.
Filming Detention was fun but so much to shoot. the classroom scenes were fun, but they were all filmed in an office we turned into a classroom. The office was where Ronn worked at the time and we poached it from midnight until 4 a.m.
I think that explains some of the craziness:-)
I am just finishing the new Detention, not sure what the name will be, and will let you know when the thing will be available.
maybe I'll start a new thread for name ideas?
Thanks again everyone for this, way cool. Shaun
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-21-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
Shaun I think that the obvious choice is "Suspension," I mean detention leads to suspension if your not careful. I know personally ditching class on butter days to go wakeboarding definetly lead to some suspension.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-21-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
How about "Saturday School"

I spent more time there than in detention.
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-21-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
Did you see the double backroll attemp in the credits? That was pretty close.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-21-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
I dug his action from I think it was 'Fluid'. back when he was rocking his first pro model board. short"er" shorts, gloves and no vest. classic mid 90's riding.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-21-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
this is crazy and there are so many. back when switch came out, I'd watch shaun and dean's section every day before I went to school for three months straight. I wanted that VW bug board badly, and I also dug the blunt slide style on that cordial.

Mayday is a classic, but I'd probably rank for what it's worth above it. That line from "FWIW" that was mentioned was insane, and the vibe of that entire section was amazing. i still love that video...it's one of many reasons I have to keep a VHS player around. It's raw...

counterfit this was good to...I can only imagine how that final back lip felt. of course, pre pop and six pack are stinking amazing as well.

How can you possibly narrow it down...
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-21-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
Joey BagODonuts?!? I always thought you were Jelly BagODonuts in that video.

Switch and Switch22 are still 2 of my favorite videos ever, love the style they were done in.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       12-21-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
Wasn't Hit It the first video to feature Shaun?

The reason I got into wakeboarding was when I watched "Clean" Dean throw that massive raley in the opening credits of that vid. I still remember vividly where I was and everything when I first saw that.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-21-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
SHAFT!!!!!!!!! I am watching it right now.
Old    sdahockey21            12-21-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
Shaun, I am totally looking forward to watching your new Detention, I have been tempted to buy a new updated instructional VID, but I am so holding out for yours! LATER

-sam adams
Old    sdahockey21            12-21-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
And for my favorite section, It would have to be Counterfeit This W/ The Comentary on... Love the plane shots... Just absolutely EPIC
Old     (or_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-21-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
I have not seen all Shaun's videos, but "Counterfeit This" ...w/Audio Commentary on is excellent!

I registered on WW just to pipe in on this thread.
Old    sdahockey21            12-21-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
Yes the Commentary is A MUST
Old     (czap)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-22-2007, 2:43 AM Reply   
Shaun, ok dude i forget which video it was, it may have been hype.., but you ended your section with a stalefish fs 3. honestly above all that is my favorite trick ive seen you do! Ive wanted that trick for so long and then i saw you finish that part with it and i was like ok dude your the man!! Ive got the stale fs 1 down w2w but i havnt got the right d up yet to take it to 3. I dunno dude the stalefish grab is by far my favorite grab and to see you take it to 3 was freakin awesome!
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-22-2007, 5:52 AM Reply   
Scoot, i am pretty sure it was all or nothing? i remember doing it and being pretty pumped, i think i let go of the handle after that. It was the first and last one I have ever done from what I remember. I might just have to break it out for old time sake. But yeah, I am pretty sure it was All or maybe Hype cuz we pretty much filmed for both at the same time. i thought that was kinda weird, but whatever, we needed two movies at the same time so it worked out that way.
Rammer, the first movie I filmed for was Hit It, nice work. At the same time we were filming the instructional hype video "boarding school."
that is a funny movie.
when travis and I named our camp, I honestly completely forgot about that movie title back in the day, not that it makes a difference, but...weird.
The movie Fluid had some classic music from what i remember.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-22-2007, 6:05 AM Reply   
*hijack*
shaun,

i know this is completely off topic, but i saw a wake contest on t.v. that you were announcing and you said something about askaninja.com. i checked it out last night and it was one of the funniest things ive ever seen. lol
*end hijack*

now, im pretty sure every shaun murray section is my favorite. you rip dude.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-22-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
Im goin to have to go with the conterfeit this section. In all of shaun's sections he seems like he is just having a blast riding. Some of my friends have talked to shaun and even takin lessions with him, and ive heard nothin but positive feedback. Sounds like he is a real class act. I simply love his sections because he has a smile on his face and is acting goofy! i think that really defines the vibe of wakeboarding. It doesnt have to be all serious contests. He still seems to ride for fun. Keep it up bro!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-22-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
"Summer School " sounds like agreat name for an instructional to follow detention ..

sems like wakeboarding happens more in summer as well and if you in detention a lot you would be going to summer school for sure :-)
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-22-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
I would have to say in Retrospect when he shoots the booger out of his mouth.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-22-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Shaun's massive poked hs fs 3 off the DU in Mayday is one of my favorite tricks of all time caught on vid
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-22-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
For what its worth no doubt.
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-22-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
Moye that part still cracks me up when I watch that video. It grosses out everyone else that is watching it, but I will rewind it and watch it again just cause it's so damn funny.
Old     (wakebo2169)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-22-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
switch 22, with the toadies song "i come from the water" that was when i was just starting to ride. Shaun probably doesn't remember it, but my mom called to order me the video for christmas and he answered what i guess was the Sidewayz phone and offered to sign the box. I thought that was the coolest thing ever. Thanks Shaun. I can't believe how long ago that was.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-22-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
I actually remember being at Sidewayz, Ronn's house at the time, and answering the phone. I only did it once or twice and remember signing the box. Moye, don't even think about trying to call me out and say that I am making it up. I do remember, and if I didn't, I wouldn't get on here and make it up. Plus, you still owe me money from that wave bet you lost.
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-22-2007, 6:56 PM Reply   
How much do you all love wakeworld? Last week im posting back and fourth with Anna Hajek after she landed a switch 900 and now I click on this thread and Shaun Murray is on here replying to all of you. I cant say ive been on any other forum about any other sport where this happens. Thank you wakeworld and thank you Shaun and Anna and all the other pro riders out there for being so down to earth and taking the time to respond and chat with us!

(Message edited by megatmoe on December 22, 2007)
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-22-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
I was just singing that toadies song yesterday, good stuff. switch 22 was a great flick. For some reason I'm drawing a blank on for what it's worth, can someone help me out
-RUSSIAN
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-22-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
the music is bullion (sp) by millincolin. HOLLA!
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-23-2007, 3:07 AM Reply   
Anthony your spot on, i love when your in a post, then someone like Ryan Seibring or Shaun adds there intimate knowledge. my fav move of his in a film has to be the KGB 5 to really fast 180 out in pre pop. oh, and when he does the raley to tumble turn, then switch raley and tumble turn and camera point. haha....classic murray
Old    sdahockey21            12-23-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Who Threw That Apple!! Sword did you through that apple at me!?!?!

Ha hA
Old     (eljefepequeno)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-24-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
My favorite part is in Six Pack, where he jumps off the jetski into Rob Stru's boat (who is pulling Parks) and kicks the two unsuspecting (and innocent) guys out of the boat. Talk about quality acting ;)
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       12-25-2007, 1:40 AM Reply   
by far IMO, the set where he is riding to "I come from the water". TO me it was by far the best "fluid" style riding I have seen. I would say that if I could ride as smooth as that, I wouldnt even care if I could only throw a few tricks (which in no case did murray only throw a few).

Secondly, The elvis outfit (in i believe highwake drifters...wait that was sean murray haha), or the Rocket man during an expression session at a tournament(dont remember the video) - both classic and out-of-the-box style.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-26-2007, 5:48 AM Reply   
My favorite section is Travis Moye's Updog Idol audition. "Randy, you don't even know how to make waffles, all you know how to do it EAT em!"
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-26-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Shaft - that was a great part
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-26-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
i have a video related ?? for you shaun, how do you decide which songs to put with your sections?

kal_dude
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-27-2007, 4:18 AM Reply   
depends on the movie. for most movies, the guys making the video will pick the music, but in some cases we pick the music. they will almost always use what music we want, but coming up with a song is a hard thing to do, kinda like board graphics:-)
Old     (bbower)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-27-2007, 6:58 AM Reply   
that and you have to get permission to use the song. Justin Stephens talks about it a little bit in the extras for the truth.

Oh and Shaun, the idol audition cracked me up! and the Wii tourney with Travis rockin the pee wee football jersey and your boy who could never get his name right hahaha!
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-27-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
did you really know the lyrics to copa cabana??
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-27-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
I'm going to say Pre-Pop for the best Murray section, with a CLOSE SECOND being the classic DPC Films video section (link):

http://www.dpcfilms.net/extreme/wake/videos/ShaunMurray01-dpcFilms.wmv
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-28-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
(with heavy lisp) "this is my favorite part of wake boarding, just crank it and turn into the wake and flatin out right before I get there and launch... Sweet!
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-28-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
I did know the lyrics to Copa, but if you listen, I botch the line "music and passion were always the passion" instead of music and passion were always the fashion. as least, that's what ronn told me that kept annoying him when he would listen to it while editing. I don't watch my parts all that much, no matter what Travis says.
Old     (key_daddy)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-28-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
Shaun, where did you come up with http://askaninja.com/ ? My head exploded with laughter when I seen this lol.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-28-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
do you (shaun) have a fav. video section (from any rider) of any video????

kal_dude
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-30-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
I love that DPC vid section! Good stuff! At work we would get online and watch that over and over! Altho, I think I'd have to say counterfeit this section is my fav.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-30-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
i love you shaun murray (in a very heterosexual way)
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-31-2007, 4:28 AM Reply   
pretty sure my brother told me about askaninja. pretty much the only podcast i subscribe to.
not sure what section is my alltime fav? will have to think about that.
waterdork, i love you too, in a very christian way.