Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-09-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
We completed the Scioto Wakefest this weekend. I had a great time meeting everyone and running the event. I have a few pictures here and I’ll follow up with more in a while.

As far as wakesurfing goes big props to our major sponsors:
..The American Wakesurf Association
..Centurion Boats
..Know Wake Marine
..Toyota
..Shred Stixx
..Inland Surfer
..The Walker Project

Big thanks to everyone that pitched in, there are just too many to mention. My family for putting up with my surfing obsession, running registration, and making sure that refreshment was on the ready. See Roy’s post on the clinics that the Walkers gave. The Synder’s ran their Centurion Awesome Avalanche Friday through Sunday. The Danielson’s ran their Magnificent Malibu VLX on surf day. He Gordon’s did a lot and even came back on Sunday, wakeboard day, just to help out. Also, my regular crew, the Scioto Boat Club, and Mike, the coolest marine patrol officer on the water.

One cool thing that Kory did was put together a short video of the first day. I was surprise to see that by the time I got home Saturday there was a Wakefest video, see the link: http://www.techpost.com/wake/Wakefest07_WMV.wmv

Am I seeing double?
Upload
Upload

Tada
Upload
How many of you can do this?
Upload
Upload

Rockets away
Upload
Slash away
Upload
We would have stopped at a gas station if we only knew
Upload
If James Brown wakesurfed it would look like this
Upload

Laying down on the job
Upload
Hanging 5 at the gun show
Upload
Plenty of 3s
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-09-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
The 2007 Wakefest Surfers
Upload
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-10-2007, 5:29 AM Reply   
Ed,

Thanks for putting on a great event. The kids had a wonderful time. It didn't hurt walking away with two trophies, prize money and a new surf board! Big props should be given to the Walker family for all of their time and effort that they put forth in trying to advance the sport of wakesurfing. Here are few more unreal pictures.

Kayley doing a coffin
Upload
James doing a superman
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Here are the winners:

Women’s 3rd Tami Danielson
Upload

Women’s 2nd Ali Lausch
Upload

Women’s 1st Jordan Lausch
Upload

Intermediate 3rd Kaley Gordon
Upload

Intermediate Kory Klosterman
No photo - No one wanted to risk breaking their camera:-)

Intermediate 1st Bryon Greene (Wakeboard Midwest)
Upload

Advanced 3rd Dereck Hanada
Upload

Advanced 2nd Corey Synder
Upload

Advanced 1st Sean Cummings
Upload

Big Kahuna 3rd Robbie Gordon
Upload

Big Kahuna Dylan Wickershan
Upload

Big Kahuna 1st James Walker
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
The prize for the Baldest, Oldest, and furthest traveling wakesurfer goes to Jeff Walker!!

Plenty bald
Upload

Some local color to cover that afliction
Upload

Oldest, well maybe prunes are needed
Upload

Furthest traveling – does anyone remember the women in the NASA love triangle who wore depends? Why wouldn't that work for the longest traveling wakesurfer?
Upload

The Grand Prize for tolerating the Baldest, Oldest, and furthest traveling wakesurfer goes to Judy Walker. Anthony Thomas Buckeye's candies.
Upload
Old    surfdad            07-10-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
Ed, you are too funny. Those prunes are so tasty, too! :-)

We've been to just about every wakesurf contest in the country and we have hosted 5 or so ourselves. I always like to see how others are doing things so that I can "borrow" ideas. :-)

Ed's Wakefest has a little of everything for everyone - wakesurfing, wakeboarding, wakeskating and the hydrofoils. If you wanted to see all the action, you could pick out a shade tree along the shore and take it all in. However, if, like me, all you were really interested in was the wakesurfing (or hydrofoils, etc) Ed had clinics set up for those folks.

We were fortunate enough to be able to run two clinics for wakesurfing. We were able to help three first timers free surf. There is so heart-warming as watching little Aspen Snyder free surf for her first time while mom and dad watched. :-)

Perhaps that is what this event was about more than anything. A great contest with substantial competition, plus a gathering of friends and family that not only got to share a common passion, but also renewed old friendships and made new ones.

Great contest Ed, we really enjoyed ourselves and felt honored to conduct the wakesurf clinics.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Since I had a bum leg and was very busy organizing the event I really didn't get out on the water and didn't have much time to spend with the Walker's. I hope I didn’t seem like an absent host. Carol and I heard students returning from the Walker's clinics describing the new tricks they had learned. You're students were stoked and inspired.

After the wakesurf competition Judy asked if I had seen a blue surfboard. About five minutes later, CJ, a wakeboarder that I met here on WW Online, came up to me and asked if Ed and told me he found a blue surf board floating on Griggs. Judy was relived to have her favorite board back. I had only exchanged a few emails with CJ and waved to him a few times on Griggs. This was first time I met CJ face to face. I love that about WW Online and how cool all the wakeboarders/wakesurfers are.

Toward the end of the day I thought that I had lost most of my quiver of boards. I knew that some were out on the clinic boat and I had freely invited every one at Wakefest to take a board or two to ride. Of course, at the end of the day they were all back.

I hope I’ll be on my feet for Nationals on August 18 and 19 in Dayton. I think the Walker’s are heading out this way again. I’ll see if I can’t get some schooling myself if you can make it.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
We had some amazing waksurf sponsors. The prizes and demos add a lot to the excitement of the event. Just look at these fine sponsors provided prizes!!!

This is the '07 IS Yellow that Jeff wrote up. I have the '06 Yellow. I really wanted to donate it rather than the '07 but that wouldn't be right. Here's Kaley with her raffle prize.
Upload

Kimber was also stoked to win the Walker Project Composite X board.
Upload

Bryon just bought a Phase 5, now he has one of Sean Ward's surf board bags to protect it.
Upload

Sean won the FAE. Sean and his buds came out to Ohio to ride with us. He was excited to have an FAE for his Sanger. I've got Larry Mann at FAE in touch with Sean. Now you can breath easy when you surf with Sean!
Upload

Jerry Price donated a Shred Stixx Ja Mako. Jim won the board. I rode a Ja Mako at the Norris Lake Ice Breaker in April. The Ja Mako is an great board. Someone has to have a picture of the Ja Mako, please post it up, it's just too fantastic of a prize to not be recognized.
Old    surfdad            07-10-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
Like this one? ;)

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
That's it! It's really cool that Jim one a prize board. Jim made several really nice home made skim style boards.

About the camera angle, well I think Judy took the picture, and well Jim is a big guy and was up hill a little and Judy is a tinny little thing. So, the shot is like you’re looking up at Goliath.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Kaley was in one of my favorite Wakefest pictures last year, looks like she has a repeat.

The cool surfing chicks always attract the buff dudes.
Upload
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
How old is Kaley? I have to show my 7 year old daughter who is also named Kaley this thread. My Kaley got in the water this past weekend to try surfing and then got too nervous and scared and got out right before the throttle was about to be mashed. Maybe next time!

Thanks for all of the pics! Hopefully we can have something like this in Colorado next year!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
Kaley is 8. She took first in the Women's division last year.

That would be cool to see more events pop up. You're always welcome in Ohio, but I suspect the Arizona and California comps will be closer.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
Well, I grew up in Columbus and I'm still an Ohio State fan, hopefully I'm still welcome!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
We event let folks from that state up north enter Wakefest so there should be no doubt that a misplaced Buckeye is welcome:-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
This just posted from day two Mini-Outlaw wakeboarding.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=21329
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-12-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
Jeff please do you have a video of James doing superman?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
I think I have video of the superman. For now here a sequence.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-12-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
One more superb air shot
Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-12-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
wow thanx alot Ed.
I think James is ready to try some Fletcher style one foot air
Old    surfdad            07-12-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
Hey Hawaj,

We got a ton of video from the generous folks at Wakefest...but, I don't know how to trim clips. I've asked JL of the MOBGroup.TV to do his magic on it, because the running length is like 30 minutes! The file is HUGE! JL is pretty busy, but when he gets a chance I think he will post segments over at mobgroup.tv

I'm impressed with the aerial behind the Avy. From that camera angle James amplitude is larger than the wake is high.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-12-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
Hi Jeff, as far as editing - its simple and fun, you just play with pictures, time, timing sound and music and arrange it like play in theater. If you have Apple Mac use iMovie editing software, if you have PC use some Ulead MediaStudio or Pinnacle Studio 11 editing software, its very easy and playful. Start from something small and short then go big and complicated. Just dont be scary a start playing and have fun.

You can post final videos on some public share servers like flyupoad.com etc
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-12-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
Jeff - if you are on a PC and don't want to buy any software you can use Windows Movie Maker - should be on any recent Windows PC. It is really basic, but lets you cut/splice, edit - add text ect. Nothing fancy but it is very easy to use. I wish I had the cash to go with MediaStudio or Pinnacle as Petr mentioned, but since I don't Movie Maker does the trick.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-13-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
dtto Matt :-)
Windows Movie Maker is OK
Old    surfdad            07-13-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
Thanks Petr and Matt - I saw MM on my start menu, so I'll fire it up soon.
Old    surfdad            07-13-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
Back to Ohio...one of the things we found interesting about the state is that everything seems to be LARGER than life. There lakes are so large they require Lighthouses :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-13-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
There is just something about a 7-story tall picnic basket. Pass the potato salad, please. :-)

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-13-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
The video files that I got from the Gordon's are .vob files. Does anyone know how to convert these files to something else?
Old    surfdad            07-13-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
I wonder how those Ohioans play guitar when the spread between frets is a handwidth apart. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-13-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
This must be the hotdog that fits on that picnic basket.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-13-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
...and Ed? What is up with all the Orange Barrels?

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-13-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
Surfing and Guitars, they just go together.
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-13-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
It's our state emblem, look at the back of the next Ohio quarter that you see.

A couple of years ago the orange barrels were so bad that even the Antrim Lake bike path had them.

(Message edited by Bigshow on July 13, 2007)
Old    surfdad            07-13-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
Too funny. Have you ever watched the "orange barrel kidnappers" parody?

http://www.7mpictures.com/inside/ob2.htm

I love the ticker-tape on the second vid...

"20 year study finds that inhaling leads to exhaling" :-)
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Looks like a great time for everyone. I REALLY wish we could get a contest of any type here in So Cal.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-14-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
I'm working on putting together photo and video disk set for sponsors and supporters. So far looks like a 3 disk set. If any one has any more photographs I'd love to collect them. Here's my CD Label.
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-31-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
How about a little video?

Upload

http://www.wakesurf.net/media/showphoto.php/photo/272
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-01-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
Hey Ed,

Great video!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Kaley is the yellow one:-)