Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
The guy that works at the local hardwear store this is his dog Kado. He often brings it to the store where it sit's behind the desk, I pet him almost every time I go in. I guess the dog got loose on the 4th of July and that's where the story takes a turn for the worst. Very Sad

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/a...top01_kado.txt
Attached Images

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-13-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
Sad story,
but if a Pitbull is charging at a person or cop, they are not going to sit and wait to see if it's going to lick their face or chew it off.
Im sure the tazer pissed it off plenty which made matters worse.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-13-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
I understand both side's of the story. The dog owner Im sure is very upset and cant understand why the cops shot his normaly friendly dog. The cop's who have no Idea if the dog is friendly or not. Seeing the comments at the bottom of the article some people have some good points. Yea its very easy to Monday morning quarterback after the fact. I do like the idea that (if the dog is not attacking any one the police should wait to move in on the dog if they dont have the tools to get it under control with out killing it. Do you think it being a Pit and their reputation caused or could have caused the police to act the way they did? The fact that they tazed it first makes me think they didnt just wanna kill it they wanted to try and get it under control with out deadly force
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       07-13-2010, 9:23 PM Reply   
Having a pitbull (or any breed for that matter) as a greeter at your place of business is a time bomb waiting to happen, what were they thinking? The liability factor would be enough for me to leave my dog at home. I'm impressed that the officer tazed the dog first and didn't shoot it right away.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-13-2010, 9:37 PM Reply   
You must not go into many gun stores. Just about everyone I have ever been in has at least one dog just walking around or sleeping behind the counter lol
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2010, 10:51 PM Reply   
I understand where the cop is coming from, but tasing an already agitated animal is going to create fear. And fearful dogs are some of the most dangerous. They react on instinct at that point. At that point the officer may not have had a choice, but the taser may not have been the best first step. It is a tough situation anyway you cut it and sad for the family who owned the dog and the officer who I am sure did not want to do what ended up happening.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-14-2010, 1:02 AM Reply   
A tazer is a bad choice for a dog -- its just going to make the dogs crazy.

Pepper spray would have been a much better choice -- the dog would simply roll over in tears.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-14-2010, 5:48 AM Reply   
It's a sad story, but in this area, there have been multiple injuries due to an attack by a pit. Everyone, except the loyal owner or the pit, are on edge whenever they see a pit bull out and especially without the owner or a chain. If this dog had been a Lab, for instance, none of this would have happened.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-14-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
Tragic and unnecessary, IMO.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-14-2010, 6:02 AM Reply   
It really sucks for the owner, but if i tased it "up to 6 times" and it was still aggressive i would have made the same move.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-14-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Tragic for the dog, but shame and fault soley rests on the owner. An owner CAN guarantee his animal does not get out. Any owner that doesnt is signing that animals death warrant. No other human, cop or civi, should be required to assess the motives of an unwelcome animal, domestic or otherwise, and act on that assessment. I think a best effort was made in the heat of the moment.

"I guess the dog got loose" is the only phrase that matters here.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-14-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
Man that was tough to read. Accidents happen but as Jason mentioned it all could have been avoided if the animals never got out. We have a big Rot here in our office and id say 10-15% of people open the door, see him and instantly slam the door shut. Obivously we wouldnt have a agressive dog in the office but allot of people arent dog owners/lovers and see a big dog that they have seen on the news before and the instantly catorgorize it as a killer. Its really sad but you have to be way way way more careful when owning pits,rots,dobies etc etc I'd LOVE to add a nice little pit to my household but the negatives just out way the positives for me. Cant imagine the pain the owner is feeling.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-14-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Sucks for the dog and owner, but the cops didn't do anything wrong. I'm surprised they even tried to taze it vs. just shooting it 1st.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
"but tasing an already agitated animal is going to create fear. And fearful dogs are some of the most dangerous."

I don't know about your dogs, but if you tased mine, he would piss himself and run like hell in the opposite direction.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-14-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Man what a sad story!
Sorry for both parties involved... I'm with J-Rod and if my V got hit by a tazer he would find the first place to hide after the 5 second jolt.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-14-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
That's rough, why send the cops when animal control would have known what to do and had the tools on hand to do it. People are too judgemental when they see a pit, not all of them are bad we have one at home and he plays rough some times which might look dangerous to someone who hasn't been around dogs much, but he wouldn't hurt anyone.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-14-2010, 7:25 PM Reply   
The cops were the closest and responded to a citizens concerned call. It would have been a non-issue with mellow dogs, and even less with proper containment.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-15-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
What a sad deal. It sucks for sure, but Pits have an earned reputation. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be earned by the breed, but rather by the owners that train them. I know a few that are awesome, gentle dogs.

I'm with Jarrod and Josh. My dog would be scared if you even got a taser out, let alone hit her with one. That said, she's not much of a watch dog. I guess i own a dog for different reasons than some people. She's more likely to smother you with kisses than do any bodily harm.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-15-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
That's the thing, many assume their little angel is harmless. Sure bad owners do make bad dogs, but many maulings happen from good dogs with good owners. The owners are shocked and try to find some other reason other than a dog decided to act like the animal it is.

I don't care if people want to own pitbulls, pythons, tigers, or whatever, however they should be made to guarantee the safety of the public.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-16-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
I guess I also forgot to mention that I think this situation could have been avoided and was handled incorrectly. I understand why the police shot the dog, but they were the ones that created the escalated problem by tasing the animal. I think they should have monitored the situation until the proper authorities arrived. An animal control worker could have subdued the animal correctly and returned them to their owner. I could understand if the police were dispatched to a mauling, but why go in without animal control when the dogs are behaving peacefully? Just doesn't make sense to me.