Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-22-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
Just seams wakeboarding is real low key in Memphis went to the sport and Boat show this weekend at the Agricenter and they had every type of wakeboard boat you could want there but there was hardly any wakeboarding equipment a couple of the boat dealers had some wakeboards but very few. I know I have seen people post about riding in and around Memphis but it just seams that it is real low key around here any web sights centered around Memphis wakeboarding and where do people buy there wakeboarding stuff are there any local shops just wondering I am hooked on the sport just wanting to know where to go and if I am missing anything.
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-22-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
I am in Union City 2 hours north of you. There isn't anything here, but around Kentucky lake there is a few shops. I mostly buy my stuff on line. I hate it but, I have no choice.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-22-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
memphis boat center. on 240 right by the getwell exit. kind of in the ghetto but it's legit.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-23-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
Roger - in past years, there were 2 boat shows. One downtown at the convention center and then the one at the agricenter. The one downtown had a much better wakeboard/skiing representation. I guess they aren't having it this year.

Kyle is right about the memphis boat center. The next closest that I know of is at Pickwick. There is Sea Lyon on hwy 57 (or maybe it's on hwy 25, it changes from 57 to 25 close to it anyway).

Not a lot of riding locally because there aren't many places to ride. The closest place to Memphis would be "the ditch" downtown between the pyramid and Harbor Town. You gotta be willing to get in some nasty water though to ride there.

Besides that, people go to Pickwick, Horseshoe, Kentucky Lake, Heber, etc. Venture out to AR and MS.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
We have a place over at Horseshoe are selves. I hate to say it but Sea Lyon is know out of business I talk to the owner at the boat show this weekend and he said they where done. Memphis Boat center side ounce they sale what they have they will not have a pro shop any more. I guess the economy is going to take care of the few little places that we do have. We sort of do the same thing we spend most of are time at Horseshoe and we venture out to a few other lakes as well. The reason I was asking all of this was that I was thinking about starting a site or maybe a blog to start off for the midsouth area and was wondering if there would be much interest. Also if anyone has a winch I have a great place out in Eads, Tn. that would be perfect. If any body knows where I can get some plans I was thinking of building one my self.
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-23-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
If you ever need any help tracking gear down we have huge selections of it in Knoxville tn and most it that I have dealt with has been cheaper than online. If I can help let me know.

Jason
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Thanks I will keep that in mine.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-23-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
Yo roger me and my crew are in Memphis Tn and we just started building a winch. One of my buddies dad owns a lumber company so we got that on lock for rails. We are prob gonna try to get a mini rail park in the cove at the end of the ditch but if you have a place in eads that would be much better.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
Just let me know when you are ready. If you need any help on the winch let me know I have one of the best fab men in Memphis working in my shop at work welding, steel, bearings what ever you need we have it all. I will snap some pics so you can see what size it is but there's plenty of room for some rails.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-24-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
I have a pro shop on Kentucky Lake we carry Hyperlit, gator, inland surfer and helium vest. Not a hugh shop but we get it done.
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-24-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
Sup,I ride in Mississippi at Bay Springs,its realy clear water and a cove that is always flat as a mirror not a alot of wakeboarders so chances are if you see someone wakeboarding it will be either me or my cousin.its definetly a great place to ride.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-24-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
always wanted to ride down the bigbee to bay springs, just hadn't quite made it down that far. one day...

as for that winch setup, give me a call if yall want some help. i would definitely be down for helping out build some rails!

(Message edited by mossy44 on February 24, 2009)
Old    jbpetty6203            02-24-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
hey whas up man im in little rock ar and i was wondering about the boarding scene here as well. most are people i know from work or just meeting through friends. last year was my first with my boat and hopefully this summer will be just s good if not better with the purchase of a tower and new shane board. let me know willing to drive out there to meet fellow wakeboarders
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
where do ride in little rock.
Old     (dirtyriverrider)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-24-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
Man I didn't know there were others in memphis interested in riding together. We have to all get together for sure cause as we all know the scene here in the mid-south is pretty lame. The ditch ain't too bad though. Just don't eat the fish! haha

Roger, me and evan are workin on a winch and hopefully it'll be done soon. Still in the works on some things but its a for sure thing. Got the beginnings of a floating rail and I'm sure your spot in Eads will be a great place for winching. Warm weather is just around the corner.
Hope we can all hook-up and ride sometime.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Just let me know if there is anything I can help with. As soon as the weather brakes I am ready. I figured there had to be people in the area I see to many boats going down the road that and I hear of people going to this lake and that lake and they all say there from around Memphis. I guess I will have to try the ditch one day can't be no worse then what I have already put in my system that and nothing a little alcohol can't take care off.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-24-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
So roger is the land yours in eads? Is it a pond or just flooded? Dude if your cool with it I say we meet up soon and start building some stuff! Having a winch this summer is gonna be soooo fun! We already have a floating rail halfway built.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
It sets on my Grandparents land it has been in are family for a long time its a good size pond bunch a different ways you could lay it out. See what the weather does over the next week or 2 and we can start on it I am ready when ever. If I can get done work before it gets dark I am going to run out and take some pictures. Where abouts are you in Memphis I am in Collierville.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-24-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
I am in Bartlett by the Wolfchase mall.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-24-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
Your not far at all just go up 64 take a right on 196 down about 2 or 3 miles. See what the weather does and we can figure out when we want to start.
Old    jbpetty6203            02-24-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
i know of sick spot on the AR river and also theres a lake close by that has grind bars set up in the lake and is also a good spot for boarding. There are small lakes all over little rock and once you start meeting people that ride they let you know where and how to get to some cool spots.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-24-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
Where do you ride on the river? By Willow Beach? Im from LR as well, but normally go to Hamilton. Ya gotta get up early to get good water, but I also like to party so Hamilton works out well for that.
Old     (vinnyp)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-24-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
There are a few 'good' spots around LR. hamilton NOT being one of them... IMO. Ouachita if you know where the honey holes are... Old River is always nice for daily sets... And the parking lot of MC BOATS in conway is fun... (for two days out of the year when the rail jam is set up) haha.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-24-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
Yea roger just feel free to shoot me an email whenever you wanna do something. We should have the motor for the winch sometime next week. You can just click my name and my email is in my profile.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-25-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
Good deal I will do it I didn't get a chance to get out there yesterday to take any pics so I will try today.
Old    jbpetty6203            02-25-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
yeah by willow where they have the barges in the little channel there with the turn around spot at the end... love that spot. I agree ouachita is better everytime ive been on hamilton its packed. Also horseshoe lake is good i know a couple guys that ok out there for weekday sets, as well as one of the old mill lakes i know a guy that lives right on that lake with a key to the ramp.
Old     (reif)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-25-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
Ohh i like this post...good to see there are more riders than i thought round these parts.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-25-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
"everytime ive been on hamilton its packed"

Exactly why I go there... You can get up for some good sunrise/early morning sets....... Surf a little when it starts to get choppy, then party the last half of the day. Pretty good day IMO

I agree that Ouchita has some amazing holes, I just have a place to stay on Hamilton so its that much easier to just pull up, tie upand be ready to go again the next morning.
Old    jbpetty6203            02-25-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
yeah that is sick chance... what kinda boat do you have?? We may have to meet up sometime on hamilton if cool with you?? Im still riding behind my I/O and still have yet to get a pull behind a true "wakeboard boat" haha
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-25-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
Bu 23 LSV. Just got her towards the end of last season. Send me a message anytime and we can def get some pulls in. Or if your on Hamilton just flag my ass down. After noon ill be at the sandbar or skinny dip cove

Upload
Old    sealyon.net            02-26-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Pickwick Watersports has liquid Force boards on hwy 57, and Pickwick sales (also on hwy 57) is taking our Ronix line over, and also picked up Malibu boats this year. So far no one has picked up Hyperlite,CWB,or O'Brien yet.
The people moving in our building will continue to carry Billabong and all the swim wear we had. It really sucks closing, all I can say is support your local and small shops if you want them to stay around.
Chance..Nice Boat Dude.
Oh yeah, Pickwick Sales is having a open house Saturday March 7th, the Ronix rep, and Malibu plant manager will be there. there will also be free food,music, and demo's for the serious buyers
Old    jbpetty6203            02-26-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
yeah chance that sounds awesome!! I will hit you up for sure this summer..
Old     (dirtyriverrider)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-07-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Michael,
I've riden at Bay Springs and it really is awesome.
Haven't been there in years though. Hoping to go back there this summer.
Awesome clear water and sand bottoms though. Gotta love the glass all day long too
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-07-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
yeah and theirs a cove below crows neck and to the right it is always glass there.I don't know why either it open to the channel and lots of boats go by but it is always glass and its pretty deep.I mean you go the lenght of the cove and your wake has already dispeared.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-10-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
Evan I was looking at maybe trying to do something this next weekend but I see it is going to cool off and there is a chance of rain on Saturday so I guess we will see how the weekend after looks. Also this will give me a chance to finish up a couple of projects on my house. Let me know if you and your crew look good for the weekend after this one weather permitting.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-11-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
Sounds good man... just let me kno.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-26-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
Evan I was going to suggest trying to get together this weekend and get some stuff done but after looking at the weather it looks like it will be another week. Also wanted to let everyone know it looks like my wife has started working on are massage forum. So hopefully we will have it up and running for everyone in the surrounding area to have a sight to go to. Also if anyone has any suggestions on what they would like to see on it let me know. I am going to have stickers made up to hand out with the logo on it for people to put on there boat or vehicle. I know we have wakeboarders in the area and I would love to see this sport grow around Memphis. Hopefully this will pull the wakeboarders together and we can get to know one another. It would also be nice to know who is out there and where you are from so start posting so I know what part of the mid south everyone is in and what lakes everyone goes to.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-26-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
Hey roger got your email and it looks like the winch project is probably not goin down. We didnt really kno how much we would use it since we are all kind of busy and when we would be wakeboarding it would probably be off to the lake...Def would like to get some stickers and support the scene tho.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-26-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
yeah roger i'm down for stickers too. just keep us posted. If anyone is on sardis ever we're always on a black 22ssv or a yellow and white SAN220. Flag us down and say hey
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-26-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
I will keep everyone posted keep coming with the post. Evan do you have any plains on the winch you where going to build I am going to try and get one built up here at work. When does everyone start hitting the lake.
Old     (tenn162000)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-29-2009, 5:10 AM Reply   
I'd be interested in some stickers as well - From Bartlett but I actually keep my boat up where I went to school in Nashville on Centerhill Lake. Every time I think about bring it down to memphis I consider the lake options: Pickwick (smells like sh*t), greers ferry (4 hrs away), never been to sardis but I've see it on google and looks pretty boring bascially an oval lake? no coves? must get pretty choppy? I've been to enid (spelling) a couple of times to tow my family around but otherwise Centerhill Is a pretty awesome lake (but its 4 hrs away too). I know a couple guys up there from college that ride. I am more of a skier but started really getting into boarding last summer when I broke my leg (skiing). Anyways, I'd like to get more into the sport - I always get stopped on the water cause not to many people have ever seen my boat (Toyota Epic X-22)... Where do yall keep your boats in Memphis?
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-29-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
I am out of Collierville we have a place over at Horseshoe lake in Hughes, Ar its not bad the best time to ride is early morning or late afternoon awesome glass Sardis is not bad there's a few coves. Bring your boat back we need as many boarders as we can get I want to get this sport growing around here I am going to push it as much as I can. I have heard allot about Centerhill lake me and the family might have to make a weekend out of it and try it out.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-01-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
Here is a little sneak peak at the logo and what the stickers will look like. More news and the forum will be up soon. My wife did the logo she is great at this stuff.
Upload
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-01-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
If any one is looking to get some numbers for there boat or looking at getting there boat wrapped call Ronnie at Hero Graphics there out of Southaven, Ms. he has just started doing wraps and does good work reasonable to. there number and web sight are 901-644-7110 and www.hero-graphics.com