Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    anim8or            10-06-2004, 11:19 PM Reply   

I shot this footage of my friend a few weeks ago at Lake Nacimiento....while sitting in a tube 10 feet in front of him. Anybody else ever tried this? I had the idea for awhile, just had to get up the nerve (and the beers) to try this little stunt. Since it was so bouncy in the tube and I was fighting to hold onto my expensive camcorder, we had to go a little too slow for him to pull off any cool tricks, but the footage is still pretty cool. My wife was supposed to tape me next since I can jump higher and take it w2w, but the ride was too sketchy for me to want her to risk it. As it was, I had to lean forwards whenever we were starting and throw myself back a bit whenever we stopped to keep from getting pitched into the water...plus I held on with one hand while facing backwards, in order to tape. I had a ziplock bag over the camcorder as a sort of half-hearted attempt to keep the water out...wish we had an old junky camcorder to bring along for stupid stunts like this.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=12256
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-06-2004, 11:27 PM Reply   
Yeah, actually that is a technique that people use all the time in wakeboard videos. I bought a waterproof carmera housing for my camera, you might want to look into it.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-07-2004, 1:01 AM Reply   
www.epiccam.com
Old    anim8or            10-07-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
That would definitely help, though its pretty expenive. my whole camcorder only costs $450. :-) One thing that would've helped would've been a tube that is more suited to this kind of use...mine is your typical donut style tube so if I bounced quite a bit and had no control at all....if I went over the wake then there's no way for me to force it back in. What kind does everybody else use?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-07-2004, 9:41 AM Reply   
You mean something like this?

Camera in Tube

One important tip when doing this is to sit in the tube with your feet inside, pressing down on the nylon cover. This presses the fabric down creating a sort of keel, which will really help keep the tube centered behind the boat. If you drap your legs over the edge of the tube then the tube will just slide out of the wake.

Rod
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-07-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
we use are extra big round tube, w/ a hole in the middle. and I use a cayon water proof housing.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-07-2004, 10:27 AM Reply   
Ya i did the tube thing when i was shooting my documentry, i have a trailer for it with footage of the tube shots, its shot on a vx2000 though but i had a water "proof Bag, if u saw it u would laugh. its suppose to go 30 ft down but ......i dunno it looks like it wouldnt, but any way check this out. ......http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=10248.....its one of my older vids thou so keep that in mind