Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-02-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
I'm finally in the market for the "white lens". Just not sure if I should spend the extra cash on the 2.8 vs. the 4.0 ....
When would the lower f stop come in handy for me? I mostly shoot during the day --
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-02-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   
With the price incress in Canon glass you will be looking at about a $750.00 price difference (new) between the 2.8 and the 4.0 IS. I am very happy with my 4.0, but I shoot with it mostly in good light, and it's a LOT lighter.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-02-2009, 4:05 PM Reply   
I love my F/4.0L IS. The extra stop would come in handy with low light situations and indoors, however I've been pleasantly surprised at how well my F/4 does in low light. And when I'm indoors, I'm usually shooting people up close, and I use a different lens for that anyway. The IS is a must in my opinion...
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-02-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
yes I'm definitely going with the IS
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-02-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
The IS is at least one stop better on the f4 and if you're capturing motion where the IS isn't an advantage it's one level of ISO difference.

The bokeh is better on the f2.8.

"If you're not sure why you need f2.8 you probably don't"

The f2.8 was designed for shooting low light sports, indoors or poorly lit stadiums. It's also a very popular portrait lens. If you're not into those why spend the extra $.

One of the major test sites, photozone I believe, has called the 70-200 f4 L IS the best zoom lens ever from an IQ standpoint regardless of mfg, it's that good.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-02-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
sweet! thanks Rich!