Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-26-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
wow, there was a lot of negative comments in that thread. lets clear some things up before more people get all crazy w/ the "buy a new F-250 moron"

i thought i made it clear in my thread that it was going to be my "sole" car for daily driving, towing, everything.

i live in Northern Indiana. i only get to wakeboard and use my boat 6 months out of the year. the other 6 months up here we get snowed in. it's brutal, last year we got 5-6 feet in less than a weeks time.

about my boat: its a 2006 Moomba Mobius LSV. 21.6ft weighs 3400lbs dry, the trailer is in great working condition that has the auto braking system that works awesome.

i keep my boat in the water from Monday-Friday and take the boat out Sat-Sun for cleaning, when i take the boat out i trailer it for about 10-15miles total and 3-4x a year i'll have to go over 100 miles with it. NO mountains, NO crazy turns, just all freeway.

i've been towing this thing for 2 years with a 2008 Ford Escape w/ a V6 only rated at 3500lbs capacity. The stoping and pulling out of the water even is fine.

i just want to be able to get up to 45mph and hold that speed without being drug by the boat and on the freeway maintain 70mph.

again the list is:

Jeep Commander w/ the V8 (limited edition)
Eddie Bauer explorer/ Merc Mountaineer w/ the V8
GMC Envoy Denali Package

i've ruled out the nissans and the H3 and im starting to rule out the GMC just because there is something i dont like, i cant put my finger on it....
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-26-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
I know first off you said you didnt want the superduty, but i drive a 2002 F350 crew cab with the 7.3L powerstroke as my daily driver and I really like it. Parking is an issue if your down town a lot but other wise its easy, you can back into anything especially with a backup cam or the beep sensors. I can park my big truck better than most people can park their little cars...

Any reason you dont want to just go with a super duty or similar truck? Not a truck guy? just curious. wont bash on you for it.
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-26-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
Ok so we understand that you don't want a truck, but why? What are your reasons? And don't give me that "they are too big" crap because the truck I'm recommending (a 1500 Chevy/GMC with the 5.3L) is the same sizes as the explorer.

Having towed with a Envoy, I would stay away at all costs. They are hands down, terrible. Felt like my sunsetter lx was in total control of the envoy rather than vice versa!

Haven't used a commander, but several people seem to think its ok.

Now the explorer. I'm not a fan. We have the '09 Eddie Bauer and it tows alright, but there is just no power there when needed. Otherwise it stops alright I guess.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-26-2010, 8:54 PM Reply   
i've just had trucks and i want something that suits my lifestyle.... i'm not a fan of how trucks drive and i feel that if i get a truck im wasting some of the uses for the truck, like the truck bed for 1 example.

also a good truck is like 2-5k more than a similar engine/frame of Suv. i just like the big suv's more, i think they are more versatile than trucks unless of course you spend big money on the trucks that give you the "luxury" feel like quad cab and leather and all that.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       05-26-2010, 8:59 PM Reply   
I tend to be a chevy guy so go with the envoy.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-26-2010, 9:06 PM Reply   
I think the Explorer has a pretty dang good tow rating for what it is. The 06 and newer models have the optional 6 speed auto that makes quite a big differnce, the first gear ratio is ultra low. I think the 07 and newer also have the 3 valve 4.6, which has a lil more poop than the older version. My money would be on the Ford for what you have picked, I think it is a good compromise for what you are looking for, and YES I have towed with one before. Nowhere near what a good truck will do, but pretty damn good in your application. DRIVE ONE.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-26-2010, 9:22 PM Reply   
ok, im between the Jeep and the Explorer.

the explorer cause i've owned a lot of fords in the past and im very familar with everything about them.

the jeep im digging the 5.7L Hemi Engine, if i get one it will have the Hemi in it.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-27-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
Of your two finalists I'd go with the Explorer hands down. Having had a Dodge you're going to HATE the fuel mileage of that package. It's cool to say you've got a hemi but bottom line is the tech in that thing is decades behind, the Explorer should hold up better as well.

That said I'd also recommend a truck, if it doesn't soot you then so be it, I've always been a BMW guy myself (at least for the last 13 years), but ever since I got a truck just to have around I find myself with more and more reasons I love having it (in addition to the 5 series). Even hauling stuff back and forth to the boat it's just a matter of tossing it in the back and not worrying if it's still wet etc You don't have to get a big a$$ one to appreciate the utility. My brother has a Toyota Tacoma 4 door with the short bed and the thing drives just like a car, has the utility of the bed, all kinds of storage, and would more than easily tow your boat the distances you need to go. Heck I can tow my MB Sports F23 Tomcat with my truck which is the same thing but with the long bed. Granted I wouldn't take it to the mountains (for that I borrow a friends dully) and it's a bit slow on takeoff but it will run 70mph all day long, brakes, and drives just fine and my boat weighs a considerable amount more than yours. I got the the long bed just because I have more uses for the bed, it does drive a little more like a truck just because of the wheelbase but the short bed would drive just like the Explorer and have a better resale than any of the other options.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-27-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
of the two.... explorer... have fun
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-27-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
Go rent the two finalists and use them for the weekend like you normally would i.e. run errands hook up the boat pull it around. Everybody has different preferences on what they like in a car and only you can decide if you will like driving it. I personally would not like driving any of these cars but that’s just me they both are good looking quality vehicles I’m just more of a truck or fast car person.
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-27-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Phil,
I would go with the explorer, but that's because i've been around Fords all my life. I think it will tow fine for everything you need to do. It won't be like a truck or be as good as a truck, but hey if might be more suitable FOR YOU. I get so sick of everyone on here thinking you need a diesel engine with tons of power when people state they don't want that in their posts. The guy doesn't want a 250 and I know why, my dad has one and the dang thing gets 7.9 to 8.3 mpg towing and 12.6 just driving (with the gas). You could tow with just about anything, sure it won't be safer, more powerful than most but you potentially tow with any vehicle. I would ask the dealers to demo all vehicles for the day and hook the boat up and see how it rides. If it gets the job done how you like it then there you go. Sorry for the rant, but that stuff just irritates me when people sit here and give opinions when most of the time it's overkill. If you work somewhere where you need the power and are hauling stuff 24/7 then ya I would look into something bigger and better, but the guy says he's only towing a boat for half the year, come on people.
Old     (metalic_era)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
We have an 06 commander with the 4.7 (wifes vehicle) I drive a 04 F150 crew 4x4 (Banks exhaust, CAI, and custom Tunes which helped alot) i get 14.5 mpg daily driving but mostly town and my wife gets less. I can get 18 or a lil more highway and the commander doesn't. The Jeep is On demand 4x4 so the hubs are in all the time but It's by far the best vehicle I've drove on the snow. We tow a 20' I/O with the Jeep (I pull the camper with the ford)
and it does fine but the dash display says were getting about 11.5MPG while towing.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-27-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
I would go explorer. The quality ratings I have seen on jeep products lately are not that great. My dad still drives a 93 explorer with 260k miles on it daily and he has a corvette he could drive sitting in the garage but he just loves that explorer.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-27-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
The answer to all of your desires:

2500hd with the duramax and the Allison transmission.
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-27-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Jeremy that would be awesome with maybe a eight inch lift some 37's on 20's leather sunroof and a guy in a funny hat to drive you around in it.... but he is trying to chose between the three mentioned above so that does not help at all... don’t take that the wrong way I couldn’t help myself I’m just messing around plus pretty sure I just messed up my shorts thinking about one of those new duramaxes I finally got it in my head that I should keep my old truck and not trade it in on one of those and now you put it back lol guess I should just keep telling myself be responsible be responsible.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-27-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
I know first off you said you didnt want the superduty, but i drive a 2002 F350 crew cab with the 7.3L powerstroke as my daily driver and I really like it. Parking is an issue if your down town a lot but other wise its easy, you can back into anything especially with a backup cam or the beep sensors. I can park my big truck better than most people can park their little cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
The answer to all of your desires:

2500hd with the duramax and the Allison transmission.

To the original poster, any reason your not consdering a Grand Cherokee instead of the Commander? The GC can tow up to 7300 lbs, depending on the setup.

Just curious. I honestly think the Explorer or Commander will do fine, especially in the flat lands of the Midwest.
Old     (lowdrag)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-27-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
I've got an '06 EB Explorer with the V8. It's not my main tow vehicle but I have pulled my 21V with it several times. I have to say I was honestly very surprised with how well it did and that's compared to pulling it with my F250 diesel.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-27-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Its all good until you consider that ONE instance when its raining outside and you need to stop suddenly. I could care less about what you buy, but man, you gotta consider that. One of my buddies learned the hard way on one of his few longer trips of the year. I guess I'd pick the Explorer from the bunch.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-27-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Another for the Explorer.

Hijack
Phil, how have you been? Your not planing on coming out on the weekends? Zak still around? Where are you guys staying at now?
End Hijack
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-27-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
why not get a Tahoe ?
Old    sperbet            05-27-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
I don't have an explorer, but my tow vehicle is an older Expedition with the 4.6 Liter. It's definitely under powered and I'd love to replace it with a more powerful vehilcle one day. However, with all that being said it has 150,000 miles, lots of towing miles, lots of miles in the snow. It pulls my boat up and over the Sierra Nevada mountains all spring, summer and fall. All in all it has been a great vehicle. Considering your usage, an SUV with the 4.6 liter like the Explorer should be fine.
Old     (Joel)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
The hemi in the jeeps is nice, gas mileage isn't near as bad or outdated as some would like to think. they also have a pretty good drivetrain warranty. for the scenarios you describe I think it really comes down to personal preference and style. none of those are my style, but I think both are more than capable of everything you describe (even stopping). I have pulled trailers for thousand upon thousand of miles with a 4.7 grand cherokee just fine. they aren't the best for that purpose but then again, I would never want a large truck as a daily driver.
Old     (nschimm)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-27-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
I pull with a GMC envoy all the time and never have an issue.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-27-2010, 5:41 PM Reply   
thanks for all the replies guys! I went out to test drive the jeep today, have never driven one before and only rode in a 2007 GC once prior. all i can say is.......Wow, i was so impressed w/ this vehicle. Thing had every option known to man, Navigation, rear view cam, hemi, two tone leather, chrome package, everything.

1st off when i started it the engine ran so smooth i didnt even know it was on. Had tons of power, rode smooth, handled like a car (what im looking for) was luxurious with a big roomy feel.

to the guys worried about MPG's: im used to crap, i used to have F150's, had 3 of them all got 12-15mpg and i kinda figured that i would be getting back down to that kinda mpg... and i tow with a V6 escape at the moment and while towing it gets 10-11mpg cause its trying so hard. so im used to that.

i think im going w/ this commander.

and PLR you'll have a private message.