Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-21-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Gavin: Welcome. Man this group is growing. Thats great.

Dave I have a connection to a semi pro rider that should put on a clinic. His name is KG. Man can that dude ride!

So who's in for the boat show rail jam? Dave is it Friday or Sunday? Sunday would be a better day for me but Friday could work.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-21-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
Jim, yeah have KG put on a clinic......I need the help!
Sunday, sunday, sunday! Let's make it on sunday!
What time should we meet and where? I'd like to check out the rail jam at noon and maybe again at 1:30!
Will there be any ski boat dealers there? I know MC won't be there, she just did Atlantic city last month.
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-21-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
Hey crew, it's about time I dropped back in here. I just got back in town from the Wakesports Unlimited Rail Jam in San Diego and I gotta say it was pretty good! Both the riding was outstanding and the closeness of the crowd was amazing.

As for the Rail Jam at the Philly Boat show, pro riders Jack Blodgett and Perry Richmond will be on hand. While not household names like Byerly and Bonifay I can say with all certainty that they are both outstanding on the rails and will put on a good show in Philly. I will keep checking back in here to see when the Jersey crew is heading over. I may even get up and talk a little shop on the mic. A friend of mine from Fla. is the event promoter and I would love to babble on the mic for him.

So who's going on what days?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-21-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Great to meet you last week! I'm Steve, I was helping Tyler and WU with the event. On your next trip out here, I'll buy the first round of Heineys at Oceans 11. Hope to see you out this way again sometime soon.

-Steve
Old     (rider)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-21-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
Sounds like June 3rd is going to be crazy. Can't wait for that weekend, it's too far away. The Website is a great idea, need to promote and build the riding in the area.

Jay can't say I've rode at Lake Hopatcong but I live in North Jersey.

My friend in San Diego rides with pros once in a while (Murray, Gator, etc.) I will have her ask the next time she is out with one of them.
Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-21-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for the welcome, I am looking forward to this event to meet a lot of local riders. Hard cause I store my boat in the Poconos and spend most weekends riding there, but I am looking forward to this in a big way. I think we have 5 riders coming down with us for our boat, and any one else who wants a tow is welcome!

Dave, I am kicking around toning the ballast down a little for this year, I am thinking the 2500 pounds is a little excessive. I am looking to mellow it out some and for for a propper shaped wake rather than a wall of water. See you all soon
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-21-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Dave, I've never been to the convention center so
I don't know the lay out. I plan on being there around 11,11:30 on Sunday.Once inside I'll call your cell phone and we'll find a spot to meet.

Jeff it will nice to finally meet you if you go Sunday. I don't see any ski boat dealers on the list. I plan on catching the first two rail shows also.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-21-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
Thanks jim, no pressure eh!
I ride alright but I think watching JB is da bomb! Hopefully he'll rub off on me this year and I can land a few new tricks.

I'm know I have not been around much...but I thought I would comment on some items I have yet to touch on...
The photo above...those are the types of days one never forgets!
Alex's BM5k is suffering from hypotermia, which forced a scaling of it's skin. Apperently according to the paint company, you can't drop gloss black in 48degree temps...I'm callin schenanigans on the paint company!

I was reminded again why I got into computers this past Sat when Justin and I were on the phone.

Been seeing a bunch of new names and an outreach of riders stretching from Upstate NY (poconos) to Mass, to Maryland. HOLY SMOKES.

oh and Gavin, 2500lbs is not excessive, it's eclectic. we have a little saying in the TCC, "a heavy boat is a happy boat"

lata!
Old     (scilost)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-22-2006, 6:18 AM Reply   
Hey guys,
I was pointed over to this thread from the find a third/be a third area. I live in Northern Jersey, but spend my weekends down at exit 13 on the parkway (so all the way down there). I am stoked to see all the posting action here and hopefully can meet up at some of your action, none of my friends are into the sport so it is great to see some excitement close to home.

Doug

Oh craig if you post on this site, I think I met you at the string cheese new years in new york last year at the conscious alliance table
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-22-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
Welcome Douglas. Wow this is awesome we just grew again. Wakeboarding in New Jersey is alive and kicking.Doug keep your eyes on this thread for info on our big,big N.J. wake jam in June. Hope to see you there.
Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
KG, I agree fully, it just seems that the gas gauge disagrees, I mean don't get me wrong the marina's love me, but the gas gauge (hence the wallet) does not! It does create one sick surf wake though, with the help of 4 large adults
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-22-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Wow this is great to see so many new people joining in. Welcome all and I hope each of you can make it to our gathering on June 3rd.

Alex, I have not set anything up, but Scott Harwood’s training center is located in the next town above where we will be so I will go check it out once I’m in town.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
Doug, how many years you been going to Avalon?

Hey Jim, did you just name the June 6th Event??? Shall we have a name-off to put on T-shirts perhaps?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-22-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
JB, Looks like at least myself and Jim are going to the show on sunday. Hopefully see you there.

Gavin, if you're interested in going too, give me a call. We could ride together if you want.

Doug, good to hear from you too!
June 3rd is growing bigger every day!
(So far the boat count is at least 6!!!)
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
WOW! We're are growing by leaps and bounds! A website is def. in order I believe. It's great too see all these riders coming together from the tri-state area! Great to hear that some of you will make our event June 3rd.

Now if I can only get my pc to work for start on the site. NEED RAM! HAVE TO ORDER!

hey kg, why did talking to me reaffirm why you got into computers?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-22-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
If you ride at Lake Hopatcong, drop me an e-mail...I can't wait for the season to start.
Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
Dave, I will have to see on Sunday, may be working on a roll cage with Kevin, have to see. If that falls through we will probably try and run down, would most likely take our own car as the baby gives us little warning when she has "had enough", but I appreciate the offer!
Old     (grimlock)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-22-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
Dave we still planning on going out on the 9th of April? Also loking forward to the 3rd of June also, should be a good time, already have that day off from work. All we need is a supra and we have all the major brands covered. Hopefully we don't tear up the water to bad. Dave, let me know what ramp you plan launching from on the 9th also. Woody, looking forward to riding behind the BU with the new ballast, the wake is going to have a sick shape, and be huge.
Old    gosia            03-22-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
Damn it .... I want to go on June 3rd! I know it is 73 days away, but any idea of what time this shindig will begin? You guys usually head out there early, no? I'm thinking of skipping this wedding I have to go to or just go late.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-22-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
KG: Good idea. Lets have everyone think of a name for our June gathering.I'll start with either
JERSEY WAKE JAM
or
NEW JERSEY WAKE FEST

Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Dirty Jersey Wake Fest 2006! That's my nomination. (thanks for the help Jim)

Wedding schmedding Gosia, you should just skip it! This event is going to be huge, and a blast!!
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-22-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
April 9th at 12 noon, June 3rd 10 am (tentatively)

Gosia, didn’t you say your wedding is in NYC. You will be about 5 minutes from the Trenton Train station from there a little over an hour to Penn station. The only issue I see is having a little river funk on you when you get to the wedding.

How about “Jersey Riders East – West Wake n’ Bake” ha ha ha!
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Here are 3
- The New Jersey East-West Wakefest!
- NJ's 1st Annual East-West Wakefest!
- East meets West Wakefest!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-22-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
You have to love the growing bustle of participation here. Even without our own website, this
is a pretty cool thing we have happening here.

I've spoken to Pops Lef he said The Trenton Thunder stadium has a large parking lot and a nice large
aluminum ramp. I know nothing about The Delaware River. Is this a potentially good spot for the June 3 convergence?

An officialy name for the June 3 event? If this is to be an annual event, if in perpetuity New Jersey is
going to be THE wakeboarding place to be every first weekend in June, then I think the name should be
short and fitting. For example, Wakestock, The Masters, Toe Jam, Boardstock, etc. Ideas?
Silt Slam, Jerseystock, New Jersey Wake Party (NJWP), Garden State Grindfest, Turnpike Terror, Freeride NJ, etc.
But if it's just a one-time shotgun gathering, then anything goes! The crazier the better!
When the events are in Turtle Cove and I organize them, I name them. This one's out of my hands.

The BM5k is suffering from the heartbreak of psoriasis KG? Oh no! I'm hopeful this malady isn't chronic.
The final boxes of hardware, wire and clamps should be arriving any day now. I'm looking forward to
rocking The Silt Slam with The BM5k.

And Margaret, Justin totally nailed it. Wedding shmedding.
Old    gosia            03-23-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Wedding shmedding is right, but unfortunately this is one of those friends-of-the-family weddings and after some thought I decided I need to go to this thing. I think some river funk will go well with suits and ties ...

It would be awesome if this became an annual event. Something to really look forward to all winter. Not that summer isn't enough to look forward to when you're scraping ice off the windshield.
Old     (scilost)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-23-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
KG- I have been going to Avalon my whole life, so since '83. I live on 13th street. I would assume you have seen me on the water since I am on the water almost every day in the summer and was at bill's events for the last 4 years. I ride off my parents's grady white named crewless, 20' bow rider (sucks but at least i have a pull). I normally stick to the back water off patty's hole near the west avalon manor bridge, unless it is the evening or early morning, then I am in the shoe.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-23-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
Justin, I realized I never did answer your question...why did talking to me reaffirm why you got into computers? To Help People! (I have to avoid these late night posts...when tired you don't always type your entire thought...)

Doug, Have we met? why, cause this is scary...My parents bought in 83' as well on the bay across from 13th street. I have been riding the shoe since I was 11yrs old (now 32). I am sure you have seen me. Blue/White Mastercraft with tower speakers...Normally in the shoe mid-late day into sunset. small world.

Alex, sweet, I really want to take a look a the hardware before hand. You interested in coming over for some burgers and beer sometime in the next week or two.

For the Entire Group:
I cordially invite you all to Alex's house to witness me drilling holes into his Nauti to install a tower speaker system. Should be a REALLY exciting event that none of you want to miss!!!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-23-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
Wow, where do I start?

348 posts in 67 days (since JB's first one Jan. 15th)
That's 5.19 per day. At this rate we'll hit 1,894 post in one year!!! WOW!

Russ, My perfect pass is in!!! I pick up the boat tomorrow! I WILL have the boat with me on April 9th, (unless the weather stops me)!

Gosia, Eustace is calling for a 10am start on June 3rd, but I'd be willing to start earlier for those who want to ride then (you!)
Plus the water will be butter smooth!

KG, I have a drill you can use! :-)
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-23-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
I can see the look on Alex's face as you break through the fiberglass! It's hard for him to even watch you wash the salt off your MC Kevin. I would love to attend! But he'll be smiling ear to ear once it's done and the beats are cranking!

Wow, that is crazy that KG and Doug live right next to each other and have just found out through WW. Totally cool!

Dave, as I entered our thread I saw we had 348 posts and started to think to myself: "we were at around 700 before and that was over a couple of months, this has been about 2 mnths and we're already halfway there!" Dare I say thread of the year 2 years running!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-23-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
KG, when are you drilling the holes.I'll bring the ant-acid you Alex The reason I ask is because I just bought a pair of Liquid audio cans for my boat and I'm not sure how I should run the wires up to the tower or what type of wire to use.

Dave: what time are you heading over to the show Sunday? I'm bringing my 10 year old daughter so she can check out the kids fishing expos. She loves to fish.

Justin, you can get great deals on ram at pricewatch.com even free shipping and no tax.

I saw the work doctor today and he said 3 more weeks or therapy but it looks as if I will need surgery. With my recovery being a little to close to the Jersey Wake Jam for my likeing.Cross my fingers

On a better note my addition at the house is done and I passed all my final inspections. So I'll take a week off then start gutting my main bathroom for a complete overhaul.

Also does anyone have a womans used wakeboard or board and binding set they would like to sell at a good price? It's for my wife and kids to try this summer. I need a 128 to 134

(Message edited by jim_b on March 23, 2006)
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-23-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Glad to know I'll be seeing a bunch of wakeworlders at teh boat show. I announced 2 of the 3 shows today and will do some more through the weekend.

It's funny- some of the fishing and boating guys apparently didn;t like all the ruckus the slider event was creating- which means we were doing our jobs well!

See you guys there this weekend. I'll ask for the wakeworlders to give a loud cheer so speak up!!!!!!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-23-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
Oh man. Someone pass me the Xanax. When my mechanic installed the depth finder last Spring he had to
drill through the transom. It nearly killed me; the sound of the drill grinding through transom, the smell of
the burning fiberglass, seeing the mechanic stick his finger through the hole. Oh man. I had to walk away.
Doreen was ready to give me oxygen and put a cold washcloth on my forehead. But now that it's done, the
depth finder has been a great addition. But the difference between the depth finder and the Blast Master
5000 is that the depth finder HAD TO pass through the hull, thus a hole HAD TO be drilled. As far as
the BM5k goes, I'm still not convinced holes have to be drilled. Once the shrink wrap is off Kevin and I
have to climb-in the Super Air and take a hard look at just how the BM5k's custom installation is going to unfold.
But yes! Evenone is still invited to the BM5k's installation party! Any excuse to host a party, I'm on it! Oh yeah!

Burgers & Beer KG? Well, I gave-up cow about ten years ago, and with the roundboy meltdown in effect I've
been "kind of" trying to lay-off the beer. But wings and iced tea sounds good!
Doreen and I can hang any Thursday after 8:00pm and I'll be in north Jersey on Friday night April 7.

This coming weekend I'm going to be continuing the patch job on my bulkhead. I'm going to start early Saturday
morning and stay with it until I'm done. No trips to Surf & Offshore this weekend. Doreen's older son
Ryan is scheduled to come over Friday and help me labor all day Saturday. Again, If anyone wants to
come over, hang-out and watch us labor and get filthy, come on! I may take the Winter tarp off the ol' Sport-Craft
this Saturday too. Justin and Pops Lef may want to come over to check-out the Joystick tower and board racks.

Have a good weekend all, and maybe we'll see you at 60 Sylvia.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-23-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
KG and Justin whats up with the slider box plans?
Old     (njladydriver)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-23-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
Hey! Rail jam in Philly?? Wow! Maybe I can make Alex stop working in the yard on Saturday and bring Connor
and I over there! Anyone know how to get to the convention center in Philly? Hey JB! are you going to
be working the 7:00pm show on Saturday? This sounds like fun but we totally don't know anything
about Philadelphia.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-23-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
Doreen heres some directions. Its real simple to find. Its only about 4 minutes over the Ben Franklin Bridge.http://www.macevents.com/paboatdc.cfm?serial=236&catname=Boat&nosignup=yes& fromemail=no

Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-24-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
Jim, I think my sister is going to sell her bindings (but not board, sorry). They are 2005 Obrien Novas, but they are M/L size (not sure how big the girls feet are, but my sister is a 7.5 I believe). Sorry but no board, she will not give up her vixen, she loves that board!

Alex, you just need to hold your breath and bear it. When I did my ballast system I did it in my driveway of a house we had just moved into, and leave it to that moment for a new neighbor to walk over to introduce himself and ask about the boat, after he heard it was 1 month old, then saw the drill under neath with the 2" hole saw he shook his head said I was nuts and walked away. Funny, that was a year and a half ago and I have not heard from him since! Just remember to tape where drilling and and start the drill in reverse at a slow speed. It is all good. Mine is a 2005 and I have drilled:
1 2" ballast pick up
4 1" ballast drains
4 1" ballast vents
8 1/2" tower mounting holes
6 6.5" speaker holes
1 1/2" salelite antena hole
and one more coming for speaker wires
It gets easier, trust me, I just learned the hard way not to let the wife watch! Good luck with it!
Old    deanprichard            03-24-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
ill be at rail jam with an sos shirt on probably, and drunk definately.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-24-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
Saturday's Manahawkin weather forecast is calling for a 40% chance of rain. If it's a rainy Saturday perhaps
we'll end-up at the Philly rail jam after-all. Is Twiggy going to be there?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-24-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
Jim,

We should be rolling into Philly between 10-11am.
Give me a shout on the cell.

JB on the mic.........very cool! You're the best person to get that crowd "pumped-up"!

I heard no ski boat displays at the show...too bad.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-25-2006, 4:27 AM Reply   
Gavin, Thanks I'll keep them in mind.

Jay, What day are you going to the show?

Dave, I'll give you a shout as soon as My daughter and I get there which should be around 11. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet JB.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-25-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
"Eustace is calling for a 10am start on June 3rd, but I'd be willing to start earlier for those who want to ride then (you!)
Plus the water will be butter smooth!"

NJskier, I like butter smooth, you call the time and I'll be there!

69 and counting
Old    deanprichard            03-25-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
i was going to go today but i might go tomorrow
my ex girl is being a total bumout saying she doesnt want to drive all the way there, and im not gonna drive my winter beater there so tomorrow im gonna try to head down with my bro
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-25-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
Jay you have mail.
Old     (2manyhobbies)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-25-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, I live in VA but am from Southern Jersey (LBI area) and still come up regularly to visit my family in Barnaget. Other then the bay and deleware, are there any lakes/rivers that we can board in around here? Im looking for a place to take my sister's kids out this summer and teach them the fundamentals of wakeboarding on my new Centurion.. :-) Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-25-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
Sandy if you like quiet clean fresh brackish water then the Mullica River during the week is where its at. Check out the maps section on KG's web site. This is where I board and my daughters tube. We love it on Friday mornings until around 3 pm we have the place to ourself.

http://www.wakescene.com/scenes/scenemap.htm
click on the red box that says Mullica River to view info about the spot. Feel free to ask me more about my favorite spot.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-26-2006, 5:20 AM Reply   
Hey all!

While talking to my friend Louie who owns Offshore marine in Branchville, I mentioned our June 3rd wakefest. Louie and his family will be coming down to join us with a brand new SAN 220!
He said he'd be more than happy to give some pulls, so there's yet another boat for everyone to ride behind! Awesome!

I'll be heading to the philly boat show soon. Should get there around 11-ish. Jim, see you there. Anyone else?
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
very cool dave, man this event is growing like crazy!

sandy, beside the bays and the delware, other than lake hopatcong there aren't any lakes that you can board in, esp. in south jersey.

after spending 3+ hours trying to fix the "blue screen of death" error on my pc, i FINALLY fixed it. turns out it was Kapersky Labs Anti-Virus and Anti-Hacker that I d/led and installed. The recent version had some bugs and caused XP to crash with a critical error from http.sys. Uninstalled it, and voila! Works like a charm!

So now I can begin working on the site! I was fiddling with Photoshop CS2 just to get the feel again and made this:...I'll be working on it as much as I can, but it's going to take some time.Upload
Old    deanprichard            03-26-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
i was at the rail jam fgor a few hours, saw the first two shows. i wasnt too impressed with the boats, only one "wakeboarding" boat, a gecko? anyway i lost your number jim, i think you were the guy that was whistling at the second show but idk. i was there with my brother we both had black shirts on, his was liquid force which the guy pointed out, didnt see much other wake people
Old     (eaglerider93)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-26-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
Hey everybody, this is Kyle, NJSkiers son.

Jay, I was the one that was carrying the rope to the riders at the first two rail jam shows. Yes that was Jim whistling loud.

I will be out there on June 3rd with my brand new board!

Old    deanprichard            03-26-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
ahhh kyle. nice job. i was taping the rail shows, pretty good. what kind of board did you get and where do you guys ride usually?
Old     (eaglerider93)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-26-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
I got a liquid force trip, we usually ride in the Delaware River
Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
Hey guys, quick question, can anyone sumerize the new boating laws in NJ with regards to licensing? I know I have the boat endorsement on my license but I heard somewhere that they are going to require everyone to take a test for it. Any info? And what about PA residents operating a boat in NJ? Thanks guys!

Hey Kyle, congrats on the board, bet you can't wait to get out there!
Old    deanprichard            03-28-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
you just need the boat on your liscence. pwc's need extra course.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-28-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Sunday my younger daughter and I met up with Dave and his son Kyle in Philly for the rail jam. The boat show itself was lame as we knew it would be. The riders in the rail jam put on a nice little show. I finally got to meet JB. I think he was born with a mic. in his hand. He gave props to wake world and also to the NEW JERSEY RIDERS 2006 thread as well. As soon as I get a chance I'll put some pics up online. I tried to use photobucket but I couldn't get it to work for me.

Jay: Yes that was me making all the noise at the rail jam. Are you gonna post any video from the rail jam on line?
Old     (eaglerider93)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
Okay, all you NJ boat drivers, here's the skinny on the new law, this applies to ALL BOAT OPERATORS of PWC's AND BOATS OVER 12 FEET IN LENGTH.
-Persons born after Dec. 31, 1978 have to take the course immediately and get a safety certificate.
-Persons born after Dec. 31, 1968 thru Dec. 31, 1978 have to take the course by JUNE 1, 2006.
-Persons born after Dec. 31, 1958 thru Dec. 31, 1968 have to take the course by JUNE 1, 2007.
-Persons born after Dec. 31, 1948 thru Dec. 31, 1958 have to take the course before JUNE 1, 2008.

So I'm good until June 2007. (sometimes it pays to be older!)

This info is right from Boaters digest magazine.
Go to www.mtanj.org and click on "boaters click here" for more info about course dates.

Gavin, the boat license that you (and I) have will not be enough anymore. BUT, the NJ state police is going to come up with a TEST ONLY for people with boating experience, so you won't have to take the course. It says a boater with at least 100 hours on-water experience can take the test only. It's still a grey area, as the state police have not developed the test yet for experienced boaters.
Go to the above website to find out more.
You can also try www.njsp.org/info/marine, if that link even works?

As far as out of state boat operators in NJ, if you operate a power vessel for less than 90 days in NJ, you have to present proof that you have taken a safety course from either NASBLA, the coast guard or another state.

So, there you have it! Sorry so long, but that is actually the condensed version! All you young punks better go take a course soon!

On the bright side, maybe this will reduce the amount of boats on the water, or at least force some people to grow a brain when the operate one.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
I am assuming the last post by Kyle, it in actuality Dave, I just don't think he switched usernames!

Michele and I took the course last summer and have our endorsements on our L's, so we're good to go! Good ol' New Jersey..
Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-28-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
"So I'm good until June 2007. (sometimes it pays to be older!) "

Kyle, I had no idea you were that old, how old does that make your dad??? Just kidding, thanks for the info, that is critical stuff to know for the June 3 run as all my drivers (including myself) need to take the course prior to the event. Although, my boat is registered in PA and since the Delaware is a border river I wonder if the states could enforce that law on the river? I mean I am still gonna try and get the courses done but I wonder what the NJ State Police's jurisdiction is on a border river, technically both state's laws apply there. I'll get my attorney to look into it (also one of my drivers coming along for the day!).
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2006, 5:45 PM Reply   
Jim if you need me to host the pics or put on photobucket let me know...just send me the pics in a zip file..

do you have winzip? if not i'll get you it..
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-28-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
Oops! My bad! I posted under Kyle's username by mistake.
The day he writes something about being old, I guess that's the day I'm really, really old!
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2006, 12:38 AM Reply   
OK boys and girls enjoy the show.

www.wakepics.com/img/18520
Old     (scilost)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-29-2006, 5:52 AM Reply   
The mtanj website confused me quite a bit. According to the power squadron class that I took, two years back, if you were driving on tidal waters, like the bay or the intercoastal, then a license was not needed. Now I think that is not the case. Also I wonder if the Power Squadron certification that i obtained will be sufficient. I will check into it and let everyone know.

Doug

(Message edited by scilost on March 29, 2006)
Old     (harlemice)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
Holy hell it's been a long time! How's everyone been around here? I saw Kevin and Justin, where's KG? I haven't been around lately, been in school like crazy and traveling, can't wait for it to end. I plan on doing some mad riding. If any of you are in the city this week and wanna see the play that I'm in, let me know, it's free. Well that's all i have for now, hope everyone is well
Peace
Cole
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-29-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
I'd think that the Coast Guard Approved course should suffice for this state, if not then I'm not taking it! I worked my tail off at 13yrs old to pass that course and I'll be a monkey's uncle if I have to retest!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
You need to take a course that will give you a boaters' safety certificate, plus you have to be at least 16 years old. So if you took a course when you were 13 years ago, I don't think that will do it. If the state were on the ball, they would have the test already for experienced boaters. That's what I'm going to wait for, since I have some time. I think the course is $60, but the test is $25. (Plus if I can just take the test, I don't have to sit though 6 hours of classroom lecture)

Maybe some of you will luck-out if the state comes out with an"experienced boater test" soon.
Keep checking that website.
Old    deanprichard            03-29-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
im going to pretend i never read that. i asked my dad since he reads the paper and watches the news, he said he never heard about it and how its crap that nobody ever publisized it or sent us anything on it.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
I'm not sure when this web page was written but read the part that says Changes in NJ's Boating Safety Laws: http://www.mtanj.org/
I'm not sure if it's a law yet.

I bought a fat sac and a pump off ebay today. I'm gonna turn my wanna be into a wakeboard boat this summer.

Old     (holiday13)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-30-2006, 6:11 AM Reply   
Cole, I looked at your profile and saw Tige listed, glad to see another Tige rider in the loop! What model is yours?
Old     (matrix732)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-30-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Hey TCC...I live in Toms River and started wakeboarding last year. I now have an addiction to wakeboarding...but I don't have a boat. I am knowledgeable in navigation, rules of the road and seamanship, and after May 9th I will be looking to go riding as frequently as possible. Let me know if you ever have extra room on your boat. I will bring beer or food and gas money.

Thanks

Brendan
732-232-9542
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-30-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
Wow! It seems like there's a new NJ rider on this thread every day! Welcome Brendan!
(another new member with his first post on the NJ riders 2006 thread....cool!)

I don't know who rides in your area, besides the TCC, but as you have probably read the June 3rd east-meets-west wakefest should be a great day of boarding.
Offering up gas $$$ is always a good thing.
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-30-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
Brendan: Welcome. AS long as you have a car, a few bucks for gas and are a cool person you'll get some pulls this summer and meet some great people as well.Keep on this board for info as the Jersey Wake Jam gets closer.

At the rate our group is growing we are gonna need JB to start a new thread by say... June
Old     (matrix732)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-31-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Hey Jim....I meet your criteria...So am I in...or is there some crazy initiation process?

I actually rode one time with Cole last summer. He came out on one of my buddies boats but the day was cut short due to a crazy thunderstorm. I also spoke to Alex on the phone a couple times last year and we were going go riding but the weather would never allow it. I am hoping every weekend this year will be good.
I have been following the thread for a year now but just decided to finally post. I have a crew that I ride with on Wednesdays (Wakeboard Wednesdays) during the summer. Anyone interested in coming along we usually go out in the Manasquan River around 5:30 pm. until sometimes after dark. We leave out of the Marina Grille (Old Petersons)
Old     (harlemice)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-31-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Hey Brendan, hows things goin? its been a while, maybe we'll get to ride again this summer
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
cool, another NJ rider! glad to have you here brendan. and oh man, cole has even posted (twice in the same WEEK!) brendan, we ride pretty much every time it's nice out and the weather allows...and you can find a pull either in avalon, turtle cove, or the delaware river..

cole, did you ever get those pics you took at the wildbill's event when micah took us out on kg's boat for some pulls at the end of the day? i'd love to see how they turned out.

well everyone, just to give you an update, i've begun working on the official nj wake riders website. i think that i'm going to lock up njwakeriders.com, and have kevin host everything like he had offered. stay tuned for some updates, right now i'm just beginning the actual layouts and visual styles, and getting some ideas..

if you all have ideas on content, layout, or whatever you see on other sites that you like, let me know by sending me an email: irish79 at gmail.com

where's alex been?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-31-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
Hi gang!
Well, I couldn't resist the mid 70's temps today.....so I splashed the boat! Had to try out the new perfectpass and updated rudder. Both work real nice. Can't wait to pull someone soon.

njwakeriders.com sounds great Justin. Good of you and KG to take on this project.

Yea, where has Alex been anyway?
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-31-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
Alex has been fixing his bulkhead!

justin, as soon as you get the domain, give me a call and we'll go over the process and get you setup with a ftp login...super simple. I got your email today...I'll get back to you shortly!

Nice dave, the new rudder should really change the steering, I did mine last year and it's great!

Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
Okay, all you NJ boat drivers, here's the skinny on the new law, this applies to ALL BOAT OPERATORS of PWC's AND BOATS OVER 12 FEET IN LENGTH.
-Persons born after Dec. 31, 1978 have to take the course immediately and get a safety certificate.
-Persons born after Dec. 31, 1968 thru Dec. 31, 1978 have to take the course by JUNE 1, 2006.
-Persons born after Dec. 31, 1958 thru Dec. 31, 1968 have to take the course by JUNE 1, 2007.
-Persons born after Dec. 31, 1948 thru Dec. 31, 1958 have to take the course before JUNE 1, 2008.

So I'm good until June 2007. (sometimes it pays to be older!)

What if u took this course in 2000, this is what they required in CT 6 yrs, ago...$$ is what it cost...
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
Double up , triple up what you want? I can drive squigally
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-31-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
HEY JEFF: How many more days till the Jersey Wake Jam?
Old     (kickasskel)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-31-2006, 11:29 PM Reply   
Hi all~!

Geez, just reading these posts is getting me all excited for the weather to warm up!
I'm new to the Jersey board but I see myself coming back...:-)
Looks like a great group~
- Kelly
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-01-2006, 4:18 AM Reply   
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I would like to make an announcement 62 days till the big showdown! I'm getting so excited that I can't wait until June 3rd so I'm putting in the docks today,
After dusting off the ol' jet pilot, hopefully skiing by next weekend.