Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-22-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
I couldn't believe how long it took the MC to get on plane at the Acworth stop. It took over half the course and on a small course that will kill you. The 236 seemed to get up to plane very quickly at Wake Games and the riders said the wake was great so they didn't sacrifice wake for acceleration.

Thoughts?

I am looking at getting new boat and after watching the MC last weekend I have to say I favor the CC. I don't own either one right now.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-22-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
There are really a lot of variables that could affect that. Powerplant option, prop, ballast, etc. That being said, it is my experience that a stock xstar drives like a pig. Just my two cents. I'm sure with the correct power plant and prop it runs great.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-22-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Thoughts?

Yes. How were they weighted, powered, and propped.

Apples to oranges it seems.

Our xstar JUMPS out of the water, slammed.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-22-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
'07 Stock prop and MCX and 1,800lbs + stock ballast.

Plane time:
Average,nothing great but didn't lag.

SOO easy to keep straight and turns better then my X2 with above specs.When driving the X-Star,it just feels like the boat knows what needs to happen and does it...WELL!
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-22-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
236 is a sweet boat, i still like a malibu LSV alot better but the 236 beats the xstar in my opinion, sorry guys.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-22-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
My buddy just got back riding at the tour stop and he said the 236 was the talk on the dock. Apparently all the pros are raving about the wake, can't wait to try one out
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-22-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
haha,no need to apologize dude.

Only one rippers opinion.IMO you could ride behind anything and absolutely KILL IT,I need help so X-star is the way for me.

I guess all you would need is Malibu to take over the pro tour and you'd be set.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-22-2007, 5:34 PM Reply   
Did anyone else notice how slow the MC was at the stop? Bryan Hutton fell on his first trick on pass 2 at the start buoy. The boat picked him up and dragged him past the transfer box before it got on plane. He got one trick in.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-22-2007, 5:36 PM Reply   
Yup,

All you need to get a great wake out of the x-star is a massive motor thats sucks gobs of gas, a ridiculously pitched prop, and 3k plus over stock ballast.

Now there's a that boat sounds like it was specially designed for wakeboarding alright.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-22-2007, 10:55 PM Reply   
or.... you get an X-star like the one I just bought.... with a diesel engine... 315hp turbo charged(lighter than a big block) that burns 2-4 gallons of gas an hour.... plus it has INCREDIBLE tourqe....

The wake is insane..... I have ridden behind a 236 with stock ballast, and a X-Star with stock ballast, and the X-stars wake is sooo much nicer!! That is one of the reasons I went with the X-Star and I am very very happy with my decision!!!
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-22-2007, 11:17 PM Reply   
dude get the X-STAR with the L-18 it has 450 hp u will not have a prob getting on plane no matter how much wieght u have in it.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-22-2007, 11:21 PM Reply   
Chris, unless you never update your profile (age 16) how do YOU as a professioanl car washer afford an X-Star?

(Message edited by ghostrider 2 on May 22, 2007)
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-22-2007, 11:39 PM Reply   
**not to mention having it fit with a turbodiesel engine after market. Haha
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-22-2007, 11:54 PM Reply   
ok.... sorry about that... First off, my dad actually bought the boat, and he will be using it just as much as my brother and I.

Secondly.... I did not install the diesel engine after market Anodyne (but you no that because you smart?)... anyway, Mastry Engine Center in St. Pete, FL has a deal going with mastercraft where the equiped this X-star with a turbodiesel and ran it in many tests against normal gasoline X-stars..... the diesel out-performed the gasoline boat in almost all catagories. One major difference was gas comsumption. Normal gasoline engines burn 8-13 gallons of gasoline an hour (depending on ballast and other variables). The Diesel X-star will burn 2-4 gallons of fuel COMPLETELY SLAMMED WITH WEIGHT!

Although I did not pay for the boat completely, I am paying my dad monthly for it, and I pay for all gas and maitnence and/or any upgrades or accesories.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2007, 1:17 AM Reply   
I want a diesel, no I want a bio diesel.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2007, 1:39 AM Reply   
Pro tour has different prop they use for the x-star so they either didn't have it or the course was way too short. The 8.1 X-star kills it in power and gas. No problem weighting with stock prop. very expensive but one of the greatest wakes i have ever ridden. stock plus 1750lbs more and it had no problem getting up. Best combo I've used on an x-star so far with stock prop. (gas,plane,rideabilty,included) (it is the biggest engine though) 500lbs. on top of what used to be the ski locker, 750lbs.(fatsac.com) in the belly, 250lbs in each of the back lockers, and you can have the same wake as the pro tour. Give or take a few pounds here and there this is relative to the wake on the PWT.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-23-2007, 5:21 AM Reply   
"The Diesel X-star will burn 2-4 gallons of fuel COMPLETELY SLAMMED WITH WEIGHT! "

that's impressive!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-23-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
You can buy an lot of gas with the $25,000 up charge for that engine. Unless you live/boat at a lake with a marina that sells diesel it will be tough to fill.

Blanket statments...gotta love them.

(Message edited by ktm250 on May 23, 2007)
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
So is this diesel thing an option on new X-stars? I'm leaning towards a VLX on my next boat but this might put me back to a star. I'm looking into both right now. I didn't see this on MC's website last time I was looking at it. What is the cost? 25K that seems really high. What would the payback be on hours?

If it costs 25k and you save 4 gallons an hour. Let's say gas cost 3.50 a gallon. The pay back is 1786 hours. Not very cost effective. Unless you plan on keeping your boat this long. If it costs more like 10k which would seem more resonible. Your payback is 714 hours definitely worth it if you ride on a 1 to 3 times a week. When you factor in increased resale value.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
The 236 porpoises A LOT. Everyone I talked to at WakeGames including CC riders said the wake was a little sloppy.
MC does have a Turbo Diesel option now. It was mainly aimed at the Euopean market where fuel is about double the cost from here.

(Message edited by woreout on May 23, 2007)
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2007, 8:43 AM Reply   
Is it available in the states and how much.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-23-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
The diesels are coming.... The diesels are coming....

Just wait.

Like has been said before, the L18 is the mack daddy of mack daddy engines. I would challange a lot of stock ballasted boats to get on plane as fast as ours with over 3k of ballast. It just works, and as such it doesn't use that much gas. Look at all the threads about trucks where people are comparing the 6.0 motor in a 3/4 ton chevy to the Big Block.... the Big Block will get better loaded mileage all day long. The same is true in a boat. It doesn't strain at all, and as such doesn't use that much more gas than a small block that's pinned all the time.