Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2014, 1:25 PM Reply   
Hey I wanted to see if other people had one of these b4 I went off and built one? I'm constantly in and out of the boat and I thought it might be a great idea to make a cool " movable step" that made getting in and out of the boat a bit easier and loading and unloading, I'm sure after I make it Im going to be saying
"Why the hell didn't I make one of these sooner"

So this is what Im thinking. I want it to have spring loaded casters. That way I can move it to where ever I need. I want to make it so it will slide under the rear swim step of the boat so that it's out of the way when I don't want it! Plus some times I load and unload in the driveway. So when you stand on the step the spring loaded casters will bottom out and it will not move. Give me your feed back
Attached Images

Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-14-2014, 1:38 PM Reply   
Cool idea. My only suggestion would be make the step as multi purpose as possible. Integrate the steps to be storage for tools, wire, etc. and have the top a durable flat surface if you needed to solder or work on something in a "safe place" outside the boat.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-14-2014, 2:57 PM Reply   
I know that fender height on a lot of the newer boats is not high enough. With how deep and big these boats are getting it take a 3 foot step stool to get in it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2014, 3:03 PM Reply   
Brett; good Idea but I have a tool bag and it's just easier to not have tools stashed all over the place. Plus I would hate to have a drawer left open or somthing and step
Out of the boat blind into a drawer or somthing.

Mark; I feel ya some of the newer boats have that problem. But I have a old school (low gunnel) boat
But I know what your talking about. In fact you have to be a Olympic High Jumper to get into a New Nautique or a G, I guess that's why they have the ladder on the rear. You need to enter the ship from the back! LOL
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-14-2014, 3:38 PM Reply   
First off I had to laugh when you referred to a G2x as a ship because their size.
Secondly, what wheels are you thinking of using, do you have a link to any specific ones that will do this, or is it just a concept you have in your head? Most caster wheels I see have a lock on them to stop them from moving, but you have to engage or disengage each one individually.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2014, 4:34 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of the casters I'm talking about they are spring loaded and when you step on the step down on the step the weight will collapse them and the step will sit down. They make a few diffrent styles of these but here is a quick pic of the style
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2014, 4:36 PM Reply   
Another version
Attached Images

Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-14-2014, 4:45 PM Reply   
Google search for spring loaded casters 100's of different kinds. Only thing you have to know is finished weight of the stairs so you can get the appropriate casters. That way as soon as you step on it drops to the floor and when you step off it raises back up.

Or you could just buy one of these and be done! They come in all different sizes and heights. Made by Ballymore.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-14-2014, 4:49 PM Reply   
I just use one of these
Attached Images

Old     (Hyperryd)      Join Date: May 2014       05-14-2014, 5:07 PM Reply   
I like the idea of the spring loaded casters, but if you are in a hurry and put any forward motion to your step before you put enough downward pressure, I see the step moving on you a lot. Maybe a lock when it is in place on the side to keep it from moving. Just a thought.

I haven't talked to you in a long time Grant. Good to see you are still here.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2014, 5:37 PM Reply   
I like the one that Brandon posted a picture of. But the one I wanted to make I think would be better because you could climb up from either end of the stairs the biggest pain in the butt item to get in and out of the boat is the cooler this way 2 people can use the stairs together.
Old     (Hyperryd)      Join Date: May 2014       05-14-2014, 6:01 PM Reply   
You might have to make the step a little bigger to fit a 12W7. Are you going to put the same decking from your floor on the steps? Maybe an electric motor with a remote control to "drive" the step where you want. Oh yeah, don't forget the LEDs. I wouldn't expect anything less!!
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-14-2014, 9:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightv10 View Post
I just use one of these
x2, and I use the area under the swim step to store my snow tires.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-14-2014, 9:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperryd View Post
You might have to make the step a little bigger to fit a 12W7. Are you going to put the same decking from your floor on the steps? Maybe an electric motor with a remote control to "drive" the step where you want. Oh yeah, don't forget the LEDs. I wouldn't expect anything less!!
Dont forget he needs to fiberglass it the same color as the boat too
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-14-2014, 10:51 PM Reply   
The all metal step Brandon posted a pic of cost $600 and up, and I don't think it would work better or be as good as one I could make for under $100. I'm guessing I should just build it and when it's finished I should weigh it and then buy the spring loaded casters that support that weight?
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-14-2014, 11:04 PM Reply   
I was going to recommend bolting two of the Ballymor's back to back, or this one.
This one runs about $450 or so and you would have to cut off handrail to get under swim step. The original one I posted runs $130.54 is 20" wide and 28 1/2" tall. So two of the would be $261.08
http://www.zoro.com/g/00076663/k-G51...FZRcfgodkFgAZA
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2014, 1:11 AM Reply   
How about just putting regular fixed wheels on just one end? You have to pick it up from one end to move it but, with some decent rubber feet on the other end, it would stay stable, be moveable and cheap. Recess a handle in the first tread and done. You could hook that up for under $100 I bet.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-15-2014, 10:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I like the one that Brandon posted a picture of. But the one I wanted to make I think would be better because you could climb up from either end of the stairs the biggest pain in the butt item to get in and out of the boat is the cooler this way 2 people can use the stairs together.
Can they hold hands while they walk up together???
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-15-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperryd View Post
you might have to make the step a little bigger to fit a 12w7. Are you going to put the same decking from your floor on the steps? Maybe an electric motor with a remote control to "drive" the step where you want. Oh yeah, don't forget the leds. I wouldn't expect anything less!!
this!

Make sure it has bluetooth however. And a dual battery system with a perko switch.