Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-13-2010, 6:58 PM Reply   
Hi,

Just made an attemp to get my first oil change on my boat, and i'm not enjoying this.

I made the engine run a little bit to get the oil warm.
Connected my drill pump on the dipstick hose (i don't have the drain hose)
Nothing would come out, but after a while it's started to drain very slowly.

So i tough about removing the oil filter
I got the filter out in 3 hours work, it was stuck in there pretty tight. I even broke one of my clamps. I had the get a screwdriver through it and use it as a lever.

But the oil still won't come out. The pump and hose seems pretty airtight.

I'm I doing something wrong?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-13-2010, 7:08 PM Reply   
The filter was put on to tight at the factory. That part will get easier if you put a little oil on the filter gasket and don't over tighten.

The drain hose is a joke. The best thing you can do is get a vacuum pump. The oil comes out super easy then.

Hang in there man, it gets better.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-13-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
My guess is you aren't building enough pressure to create the vacuum you need. The drill probably isn't strong enough

I've always used one of these, http://www.pelaproducts.com, the big pela oil extractor. I used to work on cars and had one of these for work. There are some cheaper options that will allow you to stick a tube down the dipstick to get the oil out. This is the best way to change the oil on a boat IMO
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-13-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
Joe and Brian are right on the money. I have the Pela too. Just make sure the oil is nice and warm. I think the Pela says to not let it be hot, but i have and it isnt a problem. The tube that goes down the dipstick is coated metal, so it wont collapse with the vacuum.

The oil filter on the sanger is a bear to get to. I installed a remote oil filter to make it a snap.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-13-2010, 11:26 PM Reply   
Pick up one these and life will get much better.... in my opinion, TEMPO makes one of the best and can be used for the trans. fluid. The adaptor is just a spark plug cover but it works great to attach to the drain line. It will drain out your oil COLD in about 1-2 minutes.
Attached Images

Last edited by fman; 04-13-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-14-2010, 4:45 AM Reply   
He doesn't have the drain hose on his,so he must remove through the dipstick tube.

Last edited by wakebrdjay; 04-14-2010 at 4:46 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-14-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
I use the vacuum pump attached to my drain line. It's all out in a few minutes. The drill pump will work too but you really need to make sure the oil is good and hot. Same deal with the drain hose. The best time to do it is after you have used it so it's good and hot.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-14-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
Sometimes there is a lot less oil in there than I expect would come out, sometimes there's more
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-14-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
Damn, never thought of using the Tempo with the drain hose. Thanks for the tip!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-14-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
Your not alone, My oil filter is always a major PITA to remove. I make a point not to overtighten but it still finds a way to tighten it self up lol
Old     (wtrgrl)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-14-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
Just changed my oil yesterday for the first time. Filter was a definite PITA. Oil took about 1 hour to drain but it was cold. Joe, whys the drain hose a joke?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
eh.... just takes a long time through the drain hose. I usually leave it draining over night. I like the remote oil filter idea. I also like the idea of putting the vaccuum pump on the hose. Good ideas there.
Old     (wtrgrl)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-14-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Ok. Thats what I thought. I actually left it draining overnight just to be sure. Have to finish up today. thanks
Old     (malibumatt)      Join Date: May 2006       04-14-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
how come more people don't put a remote filter on to save the headache?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-14-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
The cheap A$$ manufactures should put them on stock at the factory,especially on v-drives.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-14-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
My 05 Supra came with a remote oil filter and I love it. After I loosen it I put a zip lock bag over the filter. So the oil goes in to the bag not on the floor or bilge. The drain hose is not that bad. While it's draining I just do other things.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-14-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
I'm glad you got the oil filter off. When our boat was new we had a really tight filter. We used the screw driver through the filter but that didn't even work. The filter tore apart before we got it loose. It was horrible.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-14-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
Yeah, well I don't know who tightens those filters at the factory, but I sure hate that guy.

It was the turn of the water-fuel separator today to get unscrewed. I had to undo everything in order to get the fuel filter assy out of the boat and do it with a pipe wrench. It was still srewed WAYYYY to tight. Thanks mercruiser for wasting my time like that.