Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old    kidrik            04-15-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
I witnessed the rules at Folsom Lake being changed right in front of me.......

Literally.

If anyone needs rules changed on their home lake, I know just the guy who can get 'er done!

Be safe.

Upload
Old     (spjc)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-15-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
Are there any standard drinking regulations while boating in california?
Old    walt            04-15-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Open containers are allowed for everyone in the boat including the driver. If your driving while over the legal limit and you get caught you go to jail.
Old    kidrik            04-15-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
Walt, or anyone who knows Folsom better than me, is this truly the rule, and if so, what if you are "caught" with alcohol on the grounds? I've heard the same thing Walt's saying before, but after seeing MANY of these signs all over Folsom(without the hand) I'm not really sure what's up?

This thread was in fun, and to blow off a little steam.......hope no one is offended.
Old    walt            04-15-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
Rik,
I'm not sure if Folsom has some special drinking rules or not ?
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-15-2007, 9:45 PM Reply   
I am quite offended
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-15-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
Walt, the sign says "in day use area and on the lake" . So when youre in your boat, youre on the lake. Being a Folsom local, the last I heard from a ranger was NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED in the park area which included the lake itself. Since the rangers are understaffed, its hard for them to enforce it. I had a friend that had been drinking on the lake, somehow he tossed his girlfreind out of the boat, he turned back around for her, drove over her & killed her. Now hes in Folsom Prison for what has been 10 years & i think 15 to go. He was just as cool as the guy covering up the "No" in the sign. If you get caught w/ alcohol, it gives the police the right to search, breath test, ticket & arrest whoever they want. Remember the leagl limit is equal to 1 beer. Any more than that & its a DUI.
Old    walt            04-16-2007, 5:53 AM Reply   
Marc,

I wasn't the one asking and I'm fully aware of Ca alcohol & boating laws.

quote:

Remember the legal limit is equal to 1 beer. Any more than that & its a DUI.

One beer doesn't equal a DUI. The limit is 0.08% BAC in Ca and that varies by your body weight and maybe a few other factors.

If you couldn't tell Rik was just having some fun with the sign but wanted to know about Lake Folsom alcohol policy.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-16-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
Rik: Just sent you a PM. Sorry for hijacking the post. It's all good
Old    kidrik            04-16-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
Walt, thanks for taking it the way it was meant.

Marc, that's a tragic story, and being at Folsom, probably a little close to home. No disrespect.

I don't play with boat safety, but I do have a good since of humor. It's all good.

As far as an answer, it sounds like you're taking a big risk if bringing booze to Folsom? Because even if you've had only one beer, or no beer, they can still pop you for having alcohol even present?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Marc(wake pirate), your buddy must have something else going on, because you don't get 25 years for manslaughter.

Added bonus, 1 beer would not put my wife over the legal limit..... I have done DUI testing on occasion for the POST Academy here. They let you drink all you want, then send you out to the recruits to see if they can tell if someone is loaded, over the legal limit and/or should be arrested. I don't know where you get your information from, but it seems ignorant at best.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-16-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
Geez Marc, lighten up pal.

Enjoying a few beers while floating for a couple hours is nothing at all. Most of us do it and we are generally pissed at the idiots (like your friend) who have ruined tossing back a cold one on the lake for everyone.

Nothing better than a 10 am beer after an amazing dawn patrol session in mid summer.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-16-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
oh so true ^^^^.

As long as your responsible, drinking is fine. Its the morons that get drunk and plow around all the boats chillin in a cove, waterfall, ski beach, or wherever the spot is that kills me. I especially love when guys who are extremely trashed stumble onto your boat looking for beer. Had that happen a few times, drove me nuts. Im all about having a good time and if we have a conversation going, ill offer a beer. But stumbling and demanding, forget that.

People at the lake are the friendliest people in the world as long as you respect them and dont act stupid towards them.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-16-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
My limit is two beers, consumed slowly, if I am operating the boat.

Chilling, I will drink, but I will not operate the boat buzzed and usually give myself some time and some snacks to make sure my head is straight. Safety is a big concern, plain and simple. No way I am letting stupidity or alcohol compromise our good time and the safety of friends and family. That being said, chilling on the lake and tossing back a few beers is fundamental, just have to be respectful and smart about what you are doing.

If you wanna get wasted, park the damn boat.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-16-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
California's DMV sent me a weight to number of drinks chart in the mail and I figure if I can just put on another 4 pound I can have one more drink every three hours!!!!!!! Krispy Kreems here I come!
Old    kidrik            04-16-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
^^^^^Haahahahaha! Ironically, I think I'll put on my 4lbs. by "drinking more beer"..........
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-16-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Keep in mind that there can be "federal", "state", "county" and "city" rules.

In addition, the rules from one city/county/state/federal facility to another can be different.

It is quite common for alcohol to be banned entirely from a "park". This can include city, county, state or federal parks.

When you get onto a body of water that is not under the jurisdiction of any of the parks, such as the California Delta, then it is basically the state laws that apply. As mentioned above, California does not have an open container restriction with respect to boating but they still have (and enforce) the DUI.

Rod
Old     (drewsnautique94)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-16-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
...if you wanna booze hard move to a private lake. myself and barefoot partner made 450 jello shots on the 4th..never been so wasted without drinking a single beer!!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-16-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
Durning the day I will drink maybe 2 beer all day, but at night at the campsite or houseboat watch out cause I am taking it vertical.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-16-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
Walt you of all people I thought would have had something better,

Open containers are allowed for everyone in the boat including the driver. If your driving while over the legal limit and you get caught you go to jail.

I wasn't the one asking and I'm fully aware of Ca alcohol & boating laws.

sorry for killing everybodys buzz.

Eeexxxxcccccuuuusssseeeeee mmmeeeeee Sh@t Happens watch out.
Old    walt            04-17-2007, 5:55 AM Reply   
Marc,
No worries. It just seemed like you were giving me a alcohol lecture when I wasn't the one asking the question...Thats all.

Drinking and driving is a serious matter and you were just trying to help. (I know that)

Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-17-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
It did turn into a lecture, & for that I apologize. I wasnt directing at anyone in particular.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-17-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Marc

every alchol level compared to body weight fluctuates with every person and i just took defensive driving and they specifically that it would take up to four beers in one hour in a person whos ways between 150-200 pounds to even be at the .08 limit which is the standard for most states dui laws..

In fact that one beer/glass of wine/or shot takes the liver about and hour or more to process takes time for the level in your blood to measure so if you had three beers in one hour it may take three hours before you get close to .08 if you stop drinking at 3/4 alcholic beverages.

so its safe to say that most normal drivers and drinkers on the lake can safely consume 4 or 5 beers over the whole 8/10 hours and be nowhere near the legal limit depending on if he/she ate recently and their body weight..

so each person has to realize their limits and be as safe and responsible as they can in determining how much to drink while driving a car or boat.

so be safe but please don't condemn a person wanting to have a few beers to relax and ahve a good time on the lake..

I may actually get one of those portable breathalizers from my brother in law who is a local police officer and actually run some tests to see how much you can drink normally and before you meet/exceed the .08 limit//it would be a good article and help people to be informed as too how much they can drink and still be responsible safe driver for their body weight..

peace
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-17-2007, 8:45 PM Reply   
I wasnt condeming anybody, merely stating a personal experience. I really dont care how much anyone drinks until they compromise the safety of me & my family, thats when I have a problem. When that happens watch out you ass.
Peace back at ya
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-18-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Having a portable breathalizer is a BAD IDEA!!! It sounds like a good / safe idea. But it just turns into a game to see who can get the highest number!
Old    deltahoosier            04-18-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
Well, if you are talking specifics on BAC. Don't hold those chart up as gold.

The more you drink over time the more you build up recpetors that require more alcohol to make you feel effected even though you have way too much in your system compared to someone who does not drink. With that your ability to process alcohol goes down as well.

Basically what I am getting at is this. If you go by the charts you may think you are fine but you can still blow over the limit well after the charts say you should be fine and after you think you are fine. This is due to the increased tolerance based on the increased number of receptors in your brain (you don't feel the effects of the alcohol like someone who never drinks) and the fact your body has stopped processing alcohol as well.

You think you are good to go, BAC meter say your not, you go to jail. Be careful out there and toss back a few for me.

(Message edited by deltahoosier on April 18, 2007)

(Message edited by deltahoosier on April 18, 2007)
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
Get an Alcohawk, keep it with the rest of your boating gear. Get everyone home at the end of the day rather than the hospital, morgue, or jail.

http://www.breathalyzer.net/index2.html

Of course...like Ryan said, sometimes it turns into a game. Nothing wrong with that in the appropriate setting...and it only lasts until people realize that it errors out as 'hot' after a certain point. It also gives false readings if you don't use it properly, which includes a 15 minutes wait since your last drink.

(Message edited by Mammoth on April 18, 2007)
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
On lakes where drinking is legal as long as the driver is under .08, what about non motorized boats? Can everyone be wasted in a row boat or pedal boat?

What if you anchor your motor boat with no intent on driving it until morning and you get bombed (keys in the glove box etc.) I'm pretty sure you can pass out in the back seat of your car as long as your keys aren't in the ignition and you have clearly no intent of driving.

Normally I just ask the fuzz on my lake about things, but I'm pretty sure I'd become a target after these questions.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
Jeffrey, you think so????

Rik, you have had some good heated posts lately.... You're on a role man!!!! :-)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-20-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
If your boats is anchored, you can drink at will. Just make sure it is staying that way. If they could get you, houseboat trips would be pretty lame.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-20-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
I should note, that if you are acting like a drunkin idiot, they will probabley site you with disorderly conduct, or some other type of offense.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-20-2007, 7:59 AM Reply   
Michigan is going to a 0 tolerance for marine use. They did this a few years ago with ATV, snowmobile,etc. etc on the DNR trails. Now they are bringing it to the lakes. When..not sure, just know for sure that it is coming. Neighbor works for the Sheriff department. Their motive is not necessarily for the safety of boaters. it is a money issue. Our state is going broke! They are doubling fishing fees and hunting fees as well. Boosting what we call "sin" tax. Tax on alcohol beverages and smokes. Police have been actually pulling people over on the highways (use to travel what ever speed you want and pass a state trooper..not anymore). So I imagine they will be patrolling the waters real heavy this year. Plus they are trying to mandate to have CATs on your engines now. And I heard yesterday on the radio that they might install CO2 sniffers near highways and lakes to help control CO2 emissions by monitoring them. Does this mean closing roads and lakes if there is too much CO2? It's weird stuff happening here in the mitten state.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I often shoot around a half a handle of whiskey and then duck tape the rest of the bottle to my hand and try to go w2w while taking pulls off the bottle...I've lost a few teeth but its pretty fun

Relax everyone...I think this thread needs a beer :-)
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
Luker, now I now why this happened......

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/438332.html?1177082631
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-20-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
LOL
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Sweet guys, good to know. Anchors away!

Any ideas about non motorized boats? I've heard you can get a DUI on a bike. Can you get one in a row boat?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-20-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
I have heard that too, but I think they would have a hard time convicting you. DRIVING under the influence. I was RIDING under the influence:-)Don't know about a row boat.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
Paul, that would be Rowing Under the Influence. he he he
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-20-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
beer me, this thread is exhausting.
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-20-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Hey scott, I wouldnt be surprised if they did that over here in WI, but calling snowmobiling, fishing, hunting, and drinking beer, a sin here is "fitin words."
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
David B.....LOL
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
Ummmmmm.....beer.....
Upload
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-20-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
This subject (alcohol on a boat) has gotten me a reputation of being a beer nazi on our boat. I personally, do not drink if I plan on wakeboarding or driving the boat. I will get extremely pissy at Tate if he is drinking while driving or wakeboarding. I prefer for others not to drink while on our boat due to the potential injury of DWW (Drinking while wakeboarding), but I won't say anything because I want people to come back. People used to respect my "rules" but now, they just ignore me.

Going back to the Folsom rule, does anyone know if the boat owner/driver will get a ticket if someone in the boat is drinking or if it will be the person drinking getting the ticket. Until I read this thread, I had forgotten about Folsom's rule and we had people drinking on the boat out there a few weeks ago. I may have to become a lot more pissy and start enforcing the rule if it's MY ticket if someone gets busted while on my boat.

I know... you're all going to tell me to lighten up and have fun (and a beer) and that's fine.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-20-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I always say, your boat....your rules. Doesn't matter if I agree or not Renee and I can respect that.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
I'm with you Renee. I enforce a "dry boat" rule. While working at a law firm I saw way too many pictures of the aftermath of alcohol and drinking. The lake's fun enough without beer anyway.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
I hear where you guys are coming from. It's always best to be informed and that's what I'm looking to be. I am not a big fan of riding bombed b/c I'm terrible at it. I need all the balance I can get while wakeboarding.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-20-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
My cousin got a DUI on a lawn mower.....shat you not!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
Hahahaha a MWI (mowing while intoxicated)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-20-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
I actually have heard about people getting DUIs on mowers. My uncle defended a guy that got one riding it to the liquor store. It is a motorized vehicle, as dumb as it sounds
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-20-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
Ya...the family was totally blown away by the mower incident! He totally commutes by horse now....again shat you not! He's 2 miles from his work(feed mill) and 1/2 mile from the local grocery store/retaurant....yes his favorite restaurant has gas pumps in front of it!
Don't laugh.....ya'll probably got some F'd up people in your family too!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-20-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
No, not like that.
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
I worked with a guy who got a dui on his bicycle. He hit a tree right in front of a cop.

About the Folsom rule, I was told by a friend (so not sure what thats worth) you can drink on your boat just not on the shore. The sign Rik is in front of is referring to people wading in 3 feet of water(technically not on the shore) and drinking a beer. If it was completely illegal to drink on folsom, the cops could just go to the cove and ticket every single person in there. If someone has a definite answer please post, cuz when we go to the lake, we usually get pretty hammered.

Funny thing about getting a dui on a boat. They take away your driver's license so you can't drive a car. but you don't need a license to drive a boat, so you can still drive a boat. Is any of this incorrect. If not, its pretty funny.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-20-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
It depends state to state. Around here, it does not affect your drivers licence. You have to take a boating saftey course and pay a huge fine. The penalty for not taking the BAC is to lose your boating privleges for 90days. I think I would take the latter.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       04-20-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
A few years back it was on the news about some Amish kids who were in their horse and buggy got pulled over, gave them DUI's!
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
dude im not gonna be a downer but drinking and boating is such a dumb thing to do, i have grown up on the delta and i cant tell you how many dumb ass monuvers i have seen on the water. deaths, crashes you name it, almost all of them had alcohol involved.
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-23-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
Man, I wish I knew who to write to make my lake dry, less traffic, safer boating, better water. sounds like a wakeboarders dream come true.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-23-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Man this thread's a real buzz kill....thanks for your input....NEXT!!!!! Nah just playin......well even if you did remove all the booze, bass fishermen, jet skis, Decendents of Forrest Gump, etc. are all still gonna show up so.....fecal matter will still interface with the fan my man.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-23-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
I agree foxrepdc! Good job Rik!

Next time just bring up something a little less polarizing- like religion or politics.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-23-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
lets hear it for Ski Beach! whos excited for Miss Ski Beach 2007....THIS GUY!
Old    kidrik            04-23-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
My bad.....

Good one Ron....

I second the buzz kill! I don't have the energy to debate this one right now. Have fun, and be safe!

F it.....it's ALL good!
Old     (916rider54)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2007, 11:46 PM Reply   
We usually do alot of drinking but just like in a car, we have a designated driver. Besides my friends and I get drunk and have fun not get drunk and get rowdy.

"Get rid of the bass fishermen"...can you imagine what they think about us.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       04-24-2007, 1:26 AM Reply   
God I have heard so many different thoughts and rules about drinking at Folsom. Finally I looked it up. www.folsomlakemarina.com/alcohol.html states....

In an effort to enchance public safety and combat increasing law enforcement problems, California State Parks will prohibit consumption of alcoholic beverages in all day use areas at Folsom Lake and Lake Natoma, effective March 1, 2003.

This policy prohibits the consumption of alcohol or possession of an open continer of alcohol in any day use and lake surface areas of the park.
Exceptions to the policy are:

Registered campers within a designated campground

Within a vessel Floating on the lake surface, but not touching shore

Permitted Special Events in designated areas.
An open container is defined as any bottle, can or other receptacle containing any alcoholic which has been opened, or seal broken, or the contents which have been partially removed.

Drink away on the boat, just don't be anywhere near shore unless you have a permit. I was told that means don't have your anchor set because that constitutes touching shore.
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-24-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
I'm on the Tennessee River. Each bank of the river is in a different county. My county allows drinking, the county that has the far bank is a dry county (no alcohol anywhere). So if you drink on the river and you want to be technical about it, we have to stay on our side of the river.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
I have drank on all sides of our river....puked on a few of the shores too. So..I've kinda marked my drinkin territory as "all inclusive"...couldn't find a thing on that term in the books....so I think I'm all set.

Nah seriously for me....a few beers, spaced way apart is about it. If it's gonna get any more intense, I'll trailer up or dock and keep it land-locked.....ESPECIALLY Holiday weekends!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-24-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
So for those who drink and ride, you aren't concerned with injuring yourself? I mean with every drink, balance becomes more of an issue and courage increases... that's a bad combination if you ask me.

Does anyone know of any stories of people injuring themselves while riding under the influence?
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
No.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-24-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Renee V....I don't do anything that I worry much about getting hurt anyway. The few injuries I have experienced on the water(nothing major) have all happened sober as can be.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       04-24-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
Actually, IMO, if you look at it this way, you may be less likely to hurt yourself when you drink. Yes you may have the courage to do more, but also your body is more relaxed and able to absorb a fall. Just like you always hear about the drunk driver living through an accident, same deal there.