Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    byerly137pro            08-26-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
Which is better in terms of durability and basic function. I think teak looks classy but fibreglass seems more reliable. Voice opionons and experiences.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-26-2004, 6:28 PM Reply   
fibreglass, hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont hand to "teakit".
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-26-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
I would vote that fibreglass, with a nice grip surface, is more functional, less maintenance and it's usually even cheaper.

Teak probably looks nicer.
Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-26-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
I have teak right now and I would rather have fiberglass.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-26-2004, 7:15 PM Reply   
I'm for the teak, don't have to worry about it around the dock.
Old    akman            08-26-2004, 8:14 PM Reply   
Teak is easy to care for if you just keep it "wet", after each use just wipe some teak oil on and let it dry. Once a year sand it down, clean it, and re-oil it.

Once you ding fiberglass you have a rough edge or a crack, the only way to fix it is take it to the dealer or a shop, plus the black tops get hot in the sun.

If you have a ding in your teak YOU can fix it yourself at NO cost.

If you ding or crack your fiberglass swimstep it will probably cost YOU to fix it.

My swimstep looks like it did the day I bought the boat, I'm telling you the secret is to keep it wet.

Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-27-2004, 3:57 AM Reply   
Fibreglass (sorry, us Canucks spell it that way) for sure. Although teak looks nicer, you don't have to touch fibreglass. Care for it like you would the rest of your boat. You never have to worry about getting teak oil on your boards either.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2004, 4:44 AM Reply   
Teak is way cooler.So easy to maintain.Looks better then fiberglass,its classic.
Old    lucky            08-27-2004, 5:06 AM Reply   
Teak hands down, glass gets all scratched up. The majority of damage to teak is easily fixed.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-27-2004, 5:53 AM Reply   
Isn't it nice to have a debate without someone writing in solely to bash the other side? Let's hear some more opinions on teak vs. fibreglass.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-27-2004, 6:07 AM Reply   
teak 4 life.

i have seen way too many scratched and cracked glass platforms.
Old    sk8joe01            08-27-2004, 6:17 AM Reply   
glass looks beter, everyone says teak, but i just don't like the look of some wood jutting out of the back of a craft that has absolutly none anywhere else.
Old    lucky            08-27-2004, 6:26 AM Reply   
I think the teak is part of the charm of inboards; even if you can't see any other wood on the boat.
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-27-2004, 6:42 AM Reply   
I've got fiberglass on this boat and had teak on the last one. I love the color matched look of the glass and the no slip mat on top but I don't like the dings and nicks you get from board fins. I'd seriously consider going back to teak on the next boat. Much easier to refinish and stay new looking.
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       08-27-2004, 7:45 AM Reply   
Fiberglass, but as is noted above, there are some downsides. Bare feet on the black mats usually show up as black scuffs on the white vinyl. Easy to clean up though. All in all, fiberglass.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-27-2004, 7:51 AM Reply   
Fiberglass hands down. Less maintenance and easier to care for. It does have it drawback as well. It all personal prefrence.
Old     (shewakes)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-27-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
Teak all the way! It is cheap and easy to maintain. I think it looks good too.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-27-2004, 8:09 AM Reply   
with today's metal fins on boards, TEAK.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-27-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
what is the % of people opting for teak instead of the fiberglass platform thats coming standard on the newer boats??
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-27-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
I wish someone would do some 'retro' styling and include teak in other areas of the boat. Instead of all this machined aluminum, I'd love to see more teak!!!
Old    sunsetterlxi            08-27-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
I don't know about the statement that fiberglass is coming standard. I ordered a 05 MC X-2 and Teak was standard. Don't know about the other manufactures. Gotta love the teak, it can look like crap, but three hours and 20 bucks later it can look brand new.
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-27-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
This is what I am talking about:

http://www.sierraboat.com/boats/140.html

Not only teak platform, but how about a teak deck and even windshield frame!!!

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details2.asp?ID=266&yrstart=&yrend=&sale=Yes
Old     (d_rock)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-27-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
I'd have to go with glass, although it would depend on the color scheme of the boat. I have a mostly white and black boat, so the color of teak looks odd to me sticking out of the back. You can't really see the scratches in the glass on the white. IMO it looks cleaner. No need to maintain.
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-27-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
The teak was standard on the 04 VLX. The fiberglass was a $ upgrade. Don't know about other manufacturers.
Old    ag4ever            08-27-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
CC, the fiber is standard now.

I have Teak, and accidentally backed into a metal pole at the dock. It was my first ding in the boat, and with some minor work, it is gone.

If it was fiber, it would have cracked, not chipped, the whole platform.
Old    wakecord            08-27-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
Teak!
Otherwise you are contributing to the deforestation of all those fiberglas trees in the rain-forest.

/lunatic
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-27-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
What about those people that line-x'ed there teak? How has that held up, Good bad just curious cuz I got bad teak .
Old    xtremebordgurl            08-28-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
the only thing I don't like about the teak is how it is so slippery, I've seen a couple people slip off the back, and I'm just waiting for the day that I do.
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-28-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
Bess, when you slipped off the back of the swim step were you riding behind GRAMPS’s boat? I’m pretty sure he has a couple of slipping stories himself, with the overkill of teak oil he has rubbed into that poor swim step of his. A little oil goes along way, but if your shooting for that “Wet” look, you just keep on teakin’.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-28-2004, 2:55 PM Reply   
TEAK, it is easy to keep looking nice and keeping it wet will help also, had a fiberglass one last year, it sucked, fin marks and just ugly...teak forever
Old    ag4ever            08-28-2004, 5:55 PM Reply   
My Teak was real slippery, then I oiled the heck out of it, and now it has better grip, so either I screwed up, or I don't understand how it gets more slippery when oiled.

BTW, I went about 18 months w/o oiling it, and that was when it looked really grey out of water, but when dunked it looked great, but got really slippery.
Old    byerly137pro            08-28-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
Sounds like teak is the overall best in terms of ups and downs as long as you maintain it. I'll keep all this in mind when we got to the boat in January to get our boat. I have another question, whats the difference between a Mastercraft X-10 and an X-2, interms of specs there pretty much identical, maybe I'm wrong but can someone clarify please?
Old    akman            08-28-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
ALex, do a search on X10 vs X2 there is a big difference in both of these boats.....mainly the beam the X2 is 90" wide and the X10 is 95" wide.

One will throw a rampier wake than the other and require more weight to get the size and shape of the wake to come up.

The other will require less weight to get a sizable wake and shape.

Old    jayreese            08-28-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
The jury is still out on the Line-X over the teak. I would think that the teak would eventually dry out and crack underneath and probably warp. I had the choice of either and I opted for the teak it just looks stylish and is very easy to maintain.
Old    byerly137pro            08-28-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
Gramps, do you know which one will be better at throwing a rampy wake that is easily increased and shaped? Thnx
Old    akman            08-28-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
Alex, The X2 has the narrower beam and will be easier to sink for a bigger and better shaped wake.

I would demo both and see which one fits YOUR needs.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2004, 3:08 AM Reply   
Teak, I'll never buy a boat with fibre.
I don't know if one is better then the other, I have no problems with our teak on the boat, but is looks 100% better then a fibre deck (personal opinion).
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-29-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
On my 2002 I had the teak covered with bedliner and it held up very well for the 2 and a half years I owned the boat.

My new 05 came with fiberglass and I'm still not sure which I like best. I definitely prefer the fiberglass over the plain teak. If I get teak again, I would definitely have it laminated. As far as the warping goes, I wonder if it has something to do with if its garaged and if you live in hot and humid vs. hot and dry vs. you northerners who are basically always cold.
Old    atom_ant            08-29-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
I've had teak for eight years now and it looks brand new. All it takes is teak cleaner, let it dry and then oil it. I do this maybe twice a year and its never slippery or dirty looking.
Old     (adelzee)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-30-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
I'd go with teak. I've got FG, and the grip material surface damages the fins..
Old    vern            08-30-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
Here's what I would do. Fiberglass will take minimal work to maintain. If you are a person that enjoys working on the boat, spending the time to properly take care of something like that, and would put the time into it, then go teak. It looks great and is classic. If you find yourself pressed for time, in a hurry... ect. then go fiberglass. It's a personal opinion and both have different benefits.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-31-2004, 6:58 AM Reply   
Hmmm, my boat is 12 years old, I hardly do anything to it in the way of polishing and cleaning, and the teak platform on the back looks fine. No hint of cracking or warping and I can't remember the last time I put any teak oil on it.